• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and Homophobia

https://reflectionsasia.wordpress.c...-saux-how-gay-slurs-almost-wrecked-my-career/

I found this interesting, and I'm sorry I only came across it now. Just to put a bit of perspective on what homophobia looked like back then - and, more pertinently, to make the point that maybe we shouldn't be as forgiving of our own as we're inclined to be, because football changing rooms are not environments where being different is looked on with acceptance. Even today - we've made a lot of progress since Le Saux's days, but I don't doubt that there are still a lot of inbuilt elements to interactions on the training ground and out on the pitch come matchday that could put a gay footballer off coming out. Which may be why nobody really famous has done so yet.

Ultimately, football is an environment where a lot of stuff that wouldn't be acceptable in the workplace or the wider world is excused because, rightly or wrongly, it's a sporting environment that emerged from a predominantly working-class background, and such sporting environments (generally, with a lot of caveats) tend not to be too accepting of deviance from what's viewed as 'normal'. We've gotten a *lot* better at stamping that out, but when dealing with the difficult issue of what Aurier said...maybe, just maybe, we need to be firmer than would ordinarily be called for, just to counteract that tendency.

Again, I have to stress that today's footballers seem a different breed of players when compared to the types that Le Saux had to face back in the 80's and 90's - exceptions like Andre Gray and Nile Ranger aside, it seems like most young footballers today have their heads screwed on and are broadly products of the society of the 2000's and 2010's. I.e, far less likely to harbor the sorts of views that plagued Le Saux and drove Justin Fashanu to suicide. Nonetheless, I can get why there was discomfort with the prospect of us signing Aurier - and, personally, I do hope that his conciliatory statements and determination to rework his public image are sincere.

To continue with some of the themes here, it's pretty clear we have a long way to go when rags like this can barely resist stirring up division and sensationalizing the topic.

I fudging despair.

IMG_3491.JPG

Imagine being one of these players (if this isn't totally fabricated), knowing they most likely have your name, just waiting to 'expose' you for some perceived 'public interest' story.

Scum of earth, this kind of paper. Trouble is, it normalizes and perpetuates the attitudes we're trying to leave behind.

I can't understand why people get upset by other people's sex lives apart from paedos. Also why some football fans are racist, these are "people" who hate other people who like a different football team!!!!!.
I would classify as a sexist racist as I dislike women driving 4 wheel drives, Polo and Golf drivers, van drivers, taxi drivers, bus drivers, black drivers, drivers playing music too loud, northerners who hate southerners, southerners who hate northerners and all nationalist.

Back