• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and Homophobia

Papercut

Jermaine Jenas
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24104250

layers urged to wear rainbow laces for anti-homophobia launch

Footballers in England and Scotland have been invited to support a campaign addressing homophobia by wearing rainbow laces in their boots.

Laces have been sent to all 92 Premier League and Football League clubs, plus the 42 professional teams in Scotland, by gay rights charity Stonewall.

The Right Behind Gay Footballers campaign wants players to wear the laces in games on 21 and 22 September.

Its focus is on changing attitudes rather than urging players to come out.

Stonewall deputy chief executive Laura Doughty said: "It's time for football clubs and players to step up and make a visible stand against homophobia in our national game.

"By wearing rainbow laces, players will send a message of support to gay players and can begin to drag football into the 21st Century."

In February, the Football Association issued a toolkit to clubs to help combat homophobia in the game.

But, a month later, only 29 of 92 professional clubs in England were actively engaged in the Football v Homophobia campaign.

There are no known openly gay footballers in the English and Scottish professional leagues.

However, QPR midfielder Joey Barton is backing the campaign, appearing in promotional material and taking to Twitter to push the cause.

He wrote: "Join the rainbow laces movement. Sexuality in sport should not be an issue in the 21st century."

Former Leeds and United States winger Robbie Rogers announced he was gay earlier this year but only after retiring, claiming he could not have continued his career because of the "pack mentality" that affects the way footballers behave.

He later reversed his decision to quit the game and signed for LA Galaxy.

Before the American's revelation, only two footballers had publicly said they were gay.

In 1990, former England Under-21 international Justin Fashanu became the first professional footballer in Britain to come out. He took his own life eight years later, aged 37.

Swedish lower league player Anton Hysen, the son of former Liverpool defender Glenn Hysen, also came out in an interview with a Swedish football magazine in 2011.

The 29 clubs supporting Football v Homophobia

Premier League: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Norwich, Sunderland, West Ham, West Brom
Championship: Birmingham, Blackburn, Doncaster, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Leicester, Millwall, Sheffield Wednesday
League One: Carlisle, Crewe, Gillingham, Leyton Orient, MK Dons, Peterborough, Preston, Tranmere
League Two: Bristol Rovers, Exeter, Dagenham & Redbridge, Northampton
Correct at 18 March 2013

Is the lace thing in vain?

I do not mind the pillow bitters and do not care if we have some in our team but for the record if you want to watch a gay sport go watch rugby. Full of them all that jumping on each other. I tell this to a mate of mine who plays rugby and the first thing he does is start to play wresttle me, proving my point.

The lace thing? well all the players where stupid ****ing colour boats anyway, also you can not tell me ronaldo has not sucked on a few ****s, he looks like the sort that would. Not knocking him he is a great player and thats all that counts at the end of the day.

I think when a player does come out he will probably get a bit of abuse but not much in the top flight because the are cameras everywhere plus its all the generation that grew up with blair talking **** in their ears so they are all so PC now at football games anyway.

I do not mind the pillow bitters and do not care if we have some in our team but for the record if you want to watch a gay sport go watch rugby. Full of them all that jumping on each other. I tell this to a mate of mine who plays rugby and the first thing he does is start to play wresttle me, proving my point.

The lace thing? well all the players where stupid ****ing colour boats anyway, also you can not tell me ronaldo has not sucked on a few ****s, he looks like the sort that would. Not knocking him he is a great player and thats all that counts at the end of the day.

I think when a player does come out he will probably get a bit of abuse but not much in the top flight because the are cameras everywhere plus its all the generation that grew up with blair talking **** in their ears so they are all so PC now at football games anyway.

It really sounds like you do not mind..... People like you are the reason campaign like this is needed!

Oh dear.

Pappis Cisse etc complain about the Wonga thingy .... cant wait to see how this unfolds.

If FIFA etc really really want to make a statement, then make it known in the ABU Dhabi world cup, all players should have to wear rainbow laces ... lets see how that goes down.

It really sounds like you do not mind..... People like you are the reason campaign like this is needed!

Nah its not people like me that the campaign is happening because i could not care less. I abused campbell when he came back i called him a c u n t. I never made reference to his skin colour or his sexual preferences. Him being black and gay are not the reasons i hated him so i did not mention them.

It is a generation thing the is a younger generation who loves to have a good old moan and they only feel like they are doing some good if they are campaigning on something. Really someone should start a thread on why nearly every **** in this country feels the need to go out and tart some sort of protest group, the psychology of the people that do this needs to be looked at.

I honestly do not care if the are gays in football or in entertainment, im told the is a few in showbiz, i still watch t.v. and movies. Watched elton on the red button on the BBC the other day, love the fella he is still class in my opinon.

As mark says below i am a partial to the odd **** in my wifes tights, i like the 200 denier ones she gets from superdrugs, they feel nice and tight around my ball sack as i ****, nothing better then doing that in a bubble bath. Not gay because the thought of sucking a **** does not appeal to me, if i was i would absolutely hate and annihilate the sad pathetic PC apologist.

Have a good night old son, the are some good articles on the Guardian website to keep you entertained.I like the one by old ricky about getting rid of blacklisting actually had me sending him an email to agree with, never thought that day would happen.

I bet the fuss when a player "comes out" (must be a better phrase than that?) will be far less than people expect, the gutter press will play on it but most fans couldn't give a monkeys I expect

He wrote: "Join the rainbow laces movement. Sexuality in sport should not be an issue in the 21st century."
This bit made me laugh.

Also, getting players to wear rainbow laces isn't going to change attitudes, it's just a publicity stunt. People who are homophobic aren't going to change their views just because Rooney is wearing pretty laces in his boots.

I bet the fuss when a player "comes out" (must be a better phrase than that?) will be far less than people expect, the gutter press will play on it but most fans couldn't give a monkeys I expect

Fans won't care, media will. I can see the thousands of stories now. Come to think of it, coming out could be a great career move for a lesser known player.

Nah its not people like me that the campaign is happening

Incorrect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24104250

However, QPR midfielder Joey Barton is backing the campaign, appearing in promotional material and taking to Twitter to push the cause.

Not surprised by this. Barton fancies himself as an arty-indie Northern Romantic type so this campaign really is his bag. If he wasn't such a c**t I really could have a lot of time for him!

Will be very, very interesting to see how many players go for this. Honestly, if I were Levy I would be pulling strings to see if we could put out all 11 Spurs players wearing the laces. The PR for the club would be though the roof - I reckon there would be front page pictures in all papers next day of the 22 feet at pre match line up. Would really boost the profile and image of the club. Spurs would be standing out and really looking modern and dynamic. Would love it.

Would really boost the profile and image of the club. Spurs would be standing out and really looking modern and dynamic. Would love it.

What's the problem with gays in GB? Supporting gays = modern and dynamic??? So many real problems all around.
Just have a moment of fun by trolling my fella homophobic arsenal fan)) And yes, I'm homophobic too.

Your afraid of gay people? I never understood why we put -phobic- next to so many words.

I don't hate gays, i don't like all that noisy hype about gays rights etc. And i think we got too much political correctness in the modern world

Back