• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Footage of the early sixties side

Roland Beurre

Peter Taylor
Judging by the votes in the Best XI of all time threads, it sounds like some of you should have asked Father Christmas* to have brought you DVDs of the two early sixties FA cup finals that Spurs won.

The footage is quite illuminating, although the camera-work leaves a lot to be desired.

The two players that stuck out for me were John White, as everything seemed to go through him, and Cliff Jones, who was playing at silent movie speed when everyone was in slo-mo.

Cliff Jones, he plays on the wing - except he didn't; he quite often dropped into midfield to pick up the ball, which gave him a lot of space to run into, and once he got running it was very hard to stop him.

His main problem was hitting warp speed as he got near the goal, as he was going too fast to do anything measured with the ball, so he often would run into the nearest defender and fall over to win a free kick.

Not that players ever dived or cheated in those days ... goodness me, no.

By the time I started going to WHL, Jones was usually the sub, but every time he got up to stretch his legs or unstick a testicle from the side of his thigh, a buzz would go round the crowd.

As for John White, what might have been, eh?

He'll not be one-tenth the player John White was, but I see a little bit of the Ghost of White Hart Lane in Tom Carroll.

Anyway, enough of the nostalgia. The supposed purpose of this thread was to garner recommendations of DVDs of the mighty Lilywhites from Glory Glory members, or is it all on YouTube these days?

* Santa Claus? Who he?

Cliff Jones could catch pigeons in fact Sir Bill once said that if the gates were open during matches he would be off running down the high road :), He was majestic in the air and would always score 20 goals a season. He for me along with Waddle were the best flank players I have seen at the lane.

As for John White I still remember where I was when I heard the sad news, I was only a kid ( 13) and I cried my eyes out. :(

Cliff Jones could catch pigeons in fact Sir Bill once said that if the gates were open during matches he would be off running down the high road :), He was majestic in the air and would always score 20 goals a season. He for me along with Waddle were the best flank players I have seen at the lane.

As for John White I still remember where I was when I heard the sad news, I was only a kid ( 13) and I cried my eyes out. :(

It is frustrating, though, that there is very little footage of them. The Burnley and Leicester cup finals are available in their entirety but a lot of the other stuff is Pathe New style shots of the ball hitting the back of the net as the cameraman tries to work out who has just scored.

I wonder if much footage of the European games is around?

There is film of 63 Cup WInners' Cup - don't settle for the poorer quality pictures. Agreed, noyt much more than goals but it's out there somewhere.

Something for the Club to amass

By the time I started going to WHL, Jones was usually the sub, but every time he got up to stretch his legs or unstick a testicle from the side of his thigh, a buzz would go round the crowd.
Ha-ha, love it! However that must have been right at the back end of his career, the record shows he only came on as a sub four times in total.

Much of his career would have been pre-substitution era.

Wiki tells us :-

Substitutions during matches in the English Football League were first permitted in the 1965-66 season. During the first two seasons after the law was introduced, each side was permitted only one substitution during a game. Moreover, the substitute could only replace an injured player. From the 1967-68 season, this rule was relaxed to allow substitutions for tactical reasons.[10]

On 21 August 1965, Keith Pearooster of Charlton Athletic became the first substitute used in the Football League when he replaced injured goalkeeper Mike Rose eleven minutes into their away match against Bolton Wanderers.[11] On the same day, Bobby Knox became the first ever substitute to score a goal when he scored for Barrow against Wrexham.[12]

Back