• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

First Match - Who Will We Play?

Re: First Match - Who Will We Play? Fixtures to be released on wednesday 9am

Coincidentally, here's an article about how the fixtures are decided. So no rule as such that prevents a derby on opening day, but a preference not to schedule it that way.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/15/fixtures-premier-league-football-league-compiled

Good article and gives a good insight, seems bizarre that they send out drafts in November when obviously 3 of those teams wont be in that League the following season

Tottenham Hotspur First Match of the Season 1908 to 2014

We will soon know who Spurs will be playing on the opening day of the 2013-14 season, which will be our 96th opening match of the season.

The previous 95 opening matches have seen us play 46 times at home and 49 times away.

During the 21 seasons of the Premier League Era, we've only played 6 times at home compared with 15 times away.

We've been drawn to play Everton more times (9) than any of the other 39 different clubs we've faced on the opening day.

Here's how we've got on...

P0274_zps8dd12afb.png

Tottenham Hotspur First Game of the League Season 1908-09 to 2013-14

Last edited:
Will defo be one of the newcomers, Cardiff away it is.

I'm with you on this one. I'm convinced it will be a promoted team away, a London derby v Palace is probably a no-go and as I think Cardiff will be a tougher game than Hull, a trip to South Wales it is

Can't remember why, I was just sure that I'd read it somewhere. I have just looked for the rules though and no mention of this 'rule', so maybe I'm wrong.

There is a rule about certain games not being allowed on certain days, including derby games and games such as Man U v Chelsea. Cant take place on first week, last game of the season boxing day etc. The fixture generator/computer also is blocked from a certain no of London clubs playing at home on the day and other things

Interesting article and comments at the bottom. Apparently, there's an agreement in place that dictates the first merseyside derby each seaon is played at everton

Re: First Match - Who Will We Play? Fixtures to be released on wednesday 9am

Coincidentally, here's an article about how the fixtures are decided. So no rule as such that prevents a derby on opening day, but a preference not to schedule it that way.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/15/fixtures-premier-league-football-league-compiled

i presume sky put their 5 pence worth in to ensure that their be a super sunday and a round robin of big games around mid april and begining of may.With bt having first pic on the big games on the weekend im sure they've advised accordingly on this issue too.

Surprise surprise all sky packages going up in September as well.

Back