• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Financial Results

I thought I'd write a little about about the Premier League Short Term Cost Controls rules.
Very few people are aware of these rules about Premier League wages. Apart from Arsenal fans who know they are the reason they cant increase their wage bill.
Here's a link from 2016 http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/premier-league-update-their-ffp-rules

The premier league introduced a few years back that a club can't increase their wage bill by more than £7m a season. Any other increase in the wage bill has to come from an increase in Match Day or Commercial Income (not PL TV Money or PL prize money), or by "an averaged 3 year trading profit"

There is a separate measure of wage increase the Premier League lets the club use instead of £7m a season. £33m increase on the last 6 years, with any extra increase coming from Match Day or Commercial income or that 3 year trading profit.

This has left Arsenal (static match day income, long term shirt sponsors etc) with little room to increase their wages.

In our case Levy has 5-6 years at most to push out wages up to compete with other teams or else be left behind permanently (with a then static match day income and long term commercial deals). Obviously the wages aren't all gonna go up one season. So I see no reason why he shouldn't start that process in the next season or so.

As the general levy said some deals sound better than they are as the club sign away a lot more in rights than others. We hold onto a lot that other teams don’t and get our value that way

If pool do get a mega deal then fair play to them

I do find it odd that clubs that have a bigger following in countries that pirate football shirts get bigger deals
Shirts will presumably still brandish the tick and sell in their millions globally so a win/win for Nike?

But they don’t
That’s the myth
You basically have first world countries that buy shirts and third world that fake them
The big sell is the brand association element that sells others products
You are not paying only for the right to sell the shirts, it increasing brand awareness and you sell other goods.

https://markets.businessinsider.com...rice-china-business-booming-2018-9-1027567181

The sneaker giant posted first-quarter revenue of $1.38 billion for the Greater China region, the 17 consecutive quarter of double-digit sales growth.

You are not paying only for the right to sell the shirts, it increasing brand awareness and you sell other goods.

https://markets.businessinsider.com...rice-china-business-booming-2018-9-1027567181

The sneaker giant posted first-quarter revenue of $1.38 billion for the Greater China region, the 17 consecutive quarter of double-digit sales growth.

Exactly
That’s the appeal of Liverpool
I never understood it with Chelsea though I have to say
With arsenal there seems to be a large African fan base
City have a fake one

Financial Highlights

Revenue for the year ended 30 June 2019 was £460.7m (2018: £380.7m).

Premier League gate receipts were £34.3m (2018: £42.6m). Home matches in the 2018/19 season were played at Wembley Stadium for 14 of the 19 home Premier League games, and at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (“THS”) for the remaining five games.

The Club reached the Final of the UEFA Champions League (2018: Round of 16 of UEFA Champions League) resulting in gate receipts and prize money of £108.4m (2018: £62.2m). This represents the 13th time in the last 14 seasons that the Club has played in Europe.

Revenue from the domestic cup competitions earned the Club £3.1m (2018: £4.4m).

Television and media revenues increased to £149.9m (2018: £147.6m), due to an additional live televised game and overseas media revenues, whilst the Club finished 4th in the Premier League (2018: 3rd).

Sponsorship and corporate hospitality revenue was £120.3m (2018: £93.4m) and merchandising revenue was £20.6m (2018: £16.0m). Other revenue contributed £24.1m (2018: £14.5m).

Profit from operations, excluding football trading and before depreciation was £172.7m (2018: £162.5m). Profit for the year after all charges including interest and tax was £68.6m (2018: £113.0m).

The opening of THS in April 2019 has seen a significant investment in tangible assets totalling £1.4bn (2018: £1bn) – facilities which include the Training Centre, the new Players’ Lodge, Percy House, (home of the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation), Lilywhite House (Club offices), new retail warehouse, new Paxton House Ticket Office and the Tottenham Experience.

The total cost of intangible assets was £332m (2018: £327m) and subsequent to the year end a further £184m has been spent on player registrations.

These investments have been financed by profits made by the Club, advanced sponsorship monies and bank finance, principally from Bank of America Merrill Lynch International, Goldman Sachs Bank USA and HSBC Bank plc. At 30 June 2019, the Club had net debt of £534m (2018: £360m).

Subsequent to the year end, our total debt of £637m was converted in September 2019 into a mix of long-term maturities with an average life of 23 years.

Running the Club within Financial Fair Play regulations, whilst servicing debt and continuing to invest in both tangible and intangible assets continues to be a key focus for the Board.

That gate receipts number will be smashed out of the park with the new ground but we still won’t get a full season in it....

will bridge any gap from European revenues loss short term at least

That gate receipts number will be smashed out of the park with the new ground but we still won’t get a full season in it....

will bridge any gap from European revenues loss short term at least
Gate receipts down £8m on the previous year. Shows how Wembley became so unloved (and that figure was even with the boost of 5 games back at the Lane).

If food and drink Inc in merchandising?

Gate receipts down £8m on the previous year. Shows how Wembley became so unloved (and that figure was even with the boost of 5 games back at the Lane).

If food and drink Inc in merchandising?

Became?!?!? New Wembley is total bullsh&t for football games and I feel that most knew that heading in to the arrangement...It must have made sense for business reasons and probably was the lesser of a few evils in terms of access but given our form there and the fact that it's a vacuous hollow soul destroying excuse of a stadium I reckon we did real well to "put up" with it in the way that we did (I'm saying this hypocritically as I only went a few games during that period but hey I don't live local...).

Anyone wanna break down these finances for us money simpletons? Does it mean we gonna win something or just more of the same failure coated as a big glory because our profit margins exceed West Ham's 400 times over*

*Runs for cover after re-igniting endless and unwinnable debate

Became?!?!? New Wembley is total bullsh&t for football games and I feel that most knew that heading in to the arrangement...It must have made sense for business reasons and probably was the lesser of a few evils in terms of access but given our form there and the fact that it's a vacuous hollow soul destroying excuse of a stadium I reckon we did real well to "put up" with it in the way that we did (I'm saying this hypocritically as I only went a few games during that period but hey I don't live local...).

Anyone wanna break down these finances for us money simpletons? Does it mean we gonna win something or just more of the same failure coated as a big glory because our profit margins exceed West Ham's 400 times over*

*Runs for cover after re-igniting endless and unwinnable debate
Yes I was being rather polite about Wembley...

I effing hate it :D

Financial Highlights

Revenue for the year ended 30 June 2019 was £460.7m (2018: £380.7m).

Premier League gate receipts were £34.3m (2018: £42.6m). Home matches in the 2018/19 season were played at Wembley Stadium for 14 of the 19 home Premier League games, and at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (“THS”) for the remaining five games.

The Club reached the Final of the UEFA Champions League (2018: Round of 16 of UEFA Champions League) resulting in gate receipts and prize money of £108.4m (2018: £62.2m). This represents the 13th time in the last 14 seasons that the Club has played in Europe.

Revenue from the domestic cup competitions earned the Club £3.1m (2018: £4.4m).

Television and media revenues increased to £149.9m (2018: £147.6m), due to an additional live televised game and overseas media revenues, whilst the Club finished 4th in the Premier League (2018: 3rd).

Sponsorship and corporate hospitality revenue was £120.3m (2018: £93.4m) and merchandising revenue was £20.6m (2018: £16.0m). Other revenue contributed £24.1m (2018: £14.5m).

Profit from operations, excluding football trading and before depreciation was £172.7m (2018: £162.5m). Profit for the year after all charges including interest and tax was £68.6m (2018: £113.0m).

The opening of THS in April 2019 has seen a significant investment in tangible assets totalling £1.4bn (2018: £1bn) – facilities which include the Training Centre, the new Players’ Lodge, Percy House, (home of the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation), Lilywhite House (Club offices), new retail warehouse, new Paxton House Ticket Office and the Tottenham Experience.

The total cost of intangible assets was £332m (2018: £327m) and subsequent to the year end a further £184m has been spent on player registrations.

These investments have been financed by profits made by the Club, advanced sponsorship monies and bank finance, principally from Bank of America Merrill Lynch International, Goldman Sachs Bank USA and HSBC Bank plc. At 30 June 2019, the Club had net debt of £534m (2018: £360m).

Subsequent to the year end, our total debt of £637m was converted in September 2019 into a mix of long-term maturities with an average life of 23 years.

Running the Club within Financial Fair Play regulations, whilst servicing debt and continuing to invest in both tangible and intangible assets continues to be a key focus for the Board.
Some interesting numbers. So what will go up/down from there next year?

It looks like the club separate out the corporate tickets from the gate receipts.... If we look at the new stadium then we have 42,000 season ticket holders probably paying an average of what? £1,100 when you factor in concessions etc? So that's about £46M. + away fans 19 x 3,000 x £30 = £1.7M. + about 8,000 non ST holders paying I guess an average of £50 for the PL games, that's 19 x 8,000 x £50 = £7.6 million. £54.5 million. So PL gate receipts should go up by about £20 million

Sponsorship and corporate hospitality I would imagine will be reasonably flat
. I don't think we have any large major deals that have come into effect since last season, I would expect our sponsorship bonuses will be down from last year due to our early exit from the CL this season. I would imagine that corporate tickets for the stadium at Spurs are priced higher than Wembley but that is probably balanced out by the fact that Wembley has more corp seats than our new stadium.

CL revenue is likely to be similar to 2018 (perhaps even lower as finishing 4th gives us a lower share of the TV pot and the new long lived coefficient scoring will also adversely impact us here).... Let's call that a £50 million drop from last season.

I would imagine that 'other revenue' will go up a reasonable amount compared to last year as the stadium is heaving before games and still reasonably busy afterwards. Pure speculation but I could see another £10 million being added here on a like for like basis. I would imagine that going forward this revenue stream would also include the revenue from the non football events at the stadium, I think there was scheduled to be 5 of these before the end of June, so perhaps another £10 million there. So £20 million of additional revenue this season

Television and media revenues will reduce compared to last season as we will finish lower in the league. I expect we will also be shown less times on TV due to not really competing at either end of the table. Domestic Cup revenue will probably be reasonably flat on last season, as even though we exited the cups reasonably early we did have 3 home cup games all with reasonable crowds. Let's say that we'll drop £10 million here

So at a guess the income for this season will be about £20 million down on last season.* That isn't too bad really considering we had a record run to the CL final in that season. Also as we're no longer having to rent Wembley and paying only cost of debt on the new stadium as opposed to cost of build and debt, the actual underlying profit before football trading and depreciation could be even higher than last year (although that depends on what has happened to our wage bill between 2019 and 2020).

* Of course all of the above assumes no impact from Covid-19 and that all remaining matches/events take place under normal conditions and complete before the end of June 2020.

Back