• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Financial Results

For all the sneering about looking at Grealish, Aarons and others of that ilk, there's the unavoidable fact of the home-grown quota which has to inform our purchases and sales. Right now, we need a couple more in who qualify - in the same way that Chelsea threw big money at Drinkwater and Barkley to assist them with compliance.

We need 1, maybe 2 at most. Other than that, the HG issue will fully resolve itself in the summer when Eriksen, Toby, Wanyama, Janssen, N'Koudou and Vorm (at the least) all move on.

Remember, we need 8 HG players total in the registered 25-man squad, of which 4 need to be club-grown - these are UEFA's rules for the CL.

• Home-grown means at least 3 seasons between the ages of 15 and 21 spent in England, and
  • club-grown means three seasons spent at the club between the same ages.

Given these rules, when that lot listed above above leave, they will leave, at the very least;
  • Kane (HG, CG),
  • Dele (HG),
  • Winks (HG, CG),
  • Rose (HG, CG),
  • Walker-Peters (HG, CG) and
  • Skipp (HG, CG)

...as a home-grown core to build around. Add a home-grown third keeper (Whiteman, De Bie, some other youth GK), and we have 7 HG players and 5 CG players. Add just one youth player like Amos and we already meet the HG number requiredm and go to *6* CG as well.

And I've even left out Trippier, because I think he needs to be moved on too.

So yes, we need at least one HG incoming. But that doesn't mean we need to build our transfer window around that, nor should we.

Sessegnon should be top priority this summer, regardless of what else happens (imo). Max Aarons should be on our radar, although Norwich are certs to go up and he's won the EFL Young Player of the Year Award, meaning any transfer will have to be next year, if that.

But once we get one of those two, that's it. We can replace the Amos-equivalent with this player, or keep Amos and move on Walker-Peters (for example). And then we're done. We don't need to make it a bigger issue than it is, or one that should define our transfer window by chasing the Grealishes of the world.

And if we just skip the Championship bargain-hunting and go for someone like Wan-Bissaka at 50M, then we can fill that HG spot with Premier-League quality.

Last edited:
In fact, to give you an idea of how much latitude we have, just imagine that all those players above leave (Eriksen, Toby, Wanyama, Trippier, Walker-Peters, Janssen, N'Koudou, Vorm).

Then, as an example, assume that we buy the following players (these are roughly the players I think we need, are attainable on a 0 pound net spend, and will be looking for anyway) -

Ryan Sessegnon - LB, LW, young player for Poch to mould
Youri Tielemans - DM, CM, AM, see above
Thomas Meunier - RB, PSG want shot of him, we have a good relationship with them, good player, Belgian, experienced
David Neres - RW, LW, young player for Poch to mould, we have a good relationship with Ajax
Matija Nastasic - LCB, left-footed, entering his prime, experienced+ knows England from his spell with City

There is only one home-grown player in that entire lot. But this would be our squad after that -

1st eleven - Lloris (GK), Aurier (RB), Sanchez (RCB), Vertonghen (LCB), Rose (LB, CG, HG), Dier (CDM), Winks (CDM, HG, CG), Lucas (RAM), Dele (CAM, HG), Son (LAM), Kane (CF, CG, HG)

2nd eleven - Gazzaniga (GK), Meunier (RB), Foyth (RCB), Nastasic (LCB), Davies (LB), Sissoko (CDM), Tielemans (CDM), Neres (RAM), Lamela (CAM), Sessegnon (LAM, HG), Llorente (CF)

Remainder of the 25 - Whiteman (GK, CG, HG), Skipp (CDM, CG, HG), Luke Amos (CDM, CG, HG)

Now, ignore the first eleven/second eleven thing - in this example, that's just Poch doing his usual thing of not starting any new signing until they're fully ready, which takes up to a year. But count the number of HG/CG in that squad.

A total of 8 HG players, and 6 CG players. Easily in compliance with UEFA regulations.

And look at that squad - it's a pretty strong goddamn squad. And all we had to do to meet the limit was sign just one HG player and then jiggle around the three squad places outside the first 22 a bit to be mainly club-grown youngsters (as should be regular practice).

So, as I said, the concern about our HG status is overblown. We don't need to buy the Longstaffs, Barnes' and Grealishes of this world. We can aim higher.

Just think about it, if we made this much at Wembley, how much more would we be making in our new digs. And that's before a naming rights deal! Better days are coming folks. Kudos to Levy and Poch for keeping us in the top 3 until the stadium got built, which was quite a hump to overcome. Should be smoother sailing from now on and from now is when we will really start competing! It's a process and looks like we have navigated it quite well. I, for one, am stoked!

Just think about it, if we made this much at Wembley, how much more would we be making in our new digs. And that's before a naming rights deal! Better days are coming folks. Kudos to Levy and Poch for keeping us in the top 3 until the stadium got built, which was quite a hump to overcome. Should be smoother sailing from now on and from now is when we will really start competing! It's a process and looks like we have navigated it quite well. I, for one, am stoked!

And we were paying rent on Wembley, whereas all revenue from NWHL is profit

In fact, to give you an idea of how much latitude we have, just imagine that all those players above leave (Eriksen, Toby, Wanyama, Trippier, Walker-Peters, Janssen, N'Koudou, Vorm).

Then, as an example, assume that we buy the following players (these are roughly the players I think we need, are attainable on a 0 pound net spend, and will be looking for anyway) -

Ryan Sessegnon - LB, LW, young player for Poch to mould
Youri Tielemans - DM, CM, AM, see above
Thomas Meunier - RB, PSG want shot of him, we have a good relationship with them, good player, Belgian, experienced
David Neres - RW, LW, young player for Poch to mould, we have a good relationship with Ajax
Matija Nastasic - LCB, left-footed, entering his prime, experienced+ knows England from his spell with City

There is only one home-grown player in that entire lot. But this would be our squad after that -

1st eleven - Lloris (GK), Aurier (RB), Sanchez (RCB), Vertonghen (LCB), Rose (LB, CG, HG), Dier (CDM), Winks (CDM, HG, CG), Lucas (RAM), Dele (CAM, HG), Son (LAM), Kane (CF, CG, HG)

2nd eleven - Gazzaniga (GK), Meunier (RB), Foyth (RCB), Nastasic (LCB), Davies (LB), Sissoko (CDM), Tielemans (CDM), Neres (RAM), Lamela (CAM), Sessegnon (LAM, HG), Llorente (CF)

Remainder of the 25 - Whiteman (GK, CG, HG), Skipp (CDM, CG, HG), Luke Amos (CDM, CG, HG)

Now, ignore the first eleven/second eleven thing - in this example, that's just Poch doing his usual thing of not starting any new signing until they're fully ready, which takes up to a year. But count the number of HG/CG in that squad.

A total of 8 HG players, and 6 CG players. Easily in compliance with UEFA regulations.

And look at that squad - it's a pretty strong goddamn squad. And all we had to do to meet the limit was sign just one HG player and then jiggle around the three squad places outside the first 22 a bit to be mainly club-grown youngsters (as should be regular practice).

So, as I said, the concern about our HG status is overblown. We don't need to buy the Longstaffs, Barnes' and Grealishes of this world. We can aim higher.

PSG wang shot of Mounier.... he is class and a brilliant player
Who plays RB for them instead

Knowing that the author is an Arsenal fan has seeded my mind to view some of the little comments within the thread as somewhat slanted there. The word choice here and there gives it away.

Knowing that the author is an Arsenal fan has seeded my mind to view some of the little comments within the thread as somewhat slanted there. The word choice here and there gives it away.
TBF I think he masks his gritted teeth quite well. Our impressive stats - at a time when the Arse are going backwards - cannot fail to hurt. :D

I didn’t pick up on that at all! Well written an neutral if so.

I didn’t pick up on that at all! Well written an neutral if so.
TBF I think he masks his gritted teeth quite well. Our impressive stats - at a time when the Arse are going backwards - cannot fail to hurt. :D

Yeah, he's not ridiculous with bias. Like if, say, Charlie Nicholas or Paul Merson were asked to analyse our finances (just imagine...)

Just every now and then little needles. When discussing our player purchasing total where he says it 'might sound impressive until...'
Or his speculation that the debt "should prove as much of a burden" to us as it did to Arsenal

I would be interested in hearing anyone who can further explain this bit:

#THFC depreciation dropped from £33m to £11m, which is a bit strange, given that tangible assets have increased by £514m to £1.025 bln. Regardless, this is one of the highest charges in the Premier League, only below #AFC £16m, #MCFC £13m and #MUFC £11m.

Manchester United are running the rule over PSG and Belgium right-back Thomas Meunier, the Sun claims.
MU have been linked with every player this month

He is better than anyone they have in defence by some way

For me he was Belgium's best player in the WC

Yeah, he's not ridiculous with bias. Like if, say, Charlie Nicholas or Paul Merson were asked to analyse our finances (just imagine...)

Just every now and then little needles. When discussing our player purchasing total where he says it 'might sound impressive until...'
Or his speculation that the debt "should prove as much of a burden" to us as it did to Arsenal

I would be interested in hearing anyone who can further explain this bit:

#THFC depreciation dropped from £33m to £11m, which is a bit strange, given that tangible assets have increased by £514m to £1.025 bln. Regardless, this is one of the highest charges in the Premier League, only below #AFC £16m, #MCFC £13m and #MUFC £11m.

I believe the assets for that Increase are the ground and you can’t deprecate assets until you have actual use and benefit from them (I’m probably wrong)

Back