• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Financial Fair Play

NewmarketYid

Fraizer Campbell
Thought this rule was dead in the water but seems to be starting up..... Lets see if they follow through.

Notice they dont name and shame the 13 clubs!

Clubs which fail to comply with Uefa's new financial fair play rules could face player bans and points deductions.

The regulations take effect in 2013 and permit losses of up to 45m euros (?ú37.5m) over a two-year period, with the aim of eventually breaking even.

But new figures show that clubs lost more than 1.6bn euros (?ú1.33bn) in 2010 - the worst statistics on record.

"This is the last wake-up call," said Gianni Infantino, general secretary of European football's governing body.

"This trend has to change very quickly to safeguard European football. We must end this negative spiral and gamble for success. These losses cannot continue."

The figures released by Uefa following a survey of 665 clubs represent a 36% increase in losses on the previous year, with 56% of those questioned in the red for the 2010 financial year.

Thirteen clubs would have failed the break-even tests if the rules were applied now.

Infantino said those breaching the regulations could be forced to cut their squads if they continue to buy players while recording such losses, adding that Uefa might exclude teams from European competition altogether if infringements are particularly severe.

Uefa's head of legal affairs, Alistair Bell, said: "The system is not going to have much credibility if a big club that is in serious breach of the rules is not punished in an effective way.

"For me the sanctions need to be effective enough that people come into compliance with the system, otherwise clubs are going to become disillusioned rapidly."

13 of 665 clubs would fail the test? Surely it would be more like 200 failures if they applied the rules properly?

13 of 665 clubs would fail the test? Surely it would be more like 200 failures if they applied the rules properly?

I think that they are being phased in, so there is more leeway in the first few years.

"This is the last friendly heads up to City and PSG....just so we make sure they fix their books, and arrange some ludicrous sponsership deals in good time" said Gianni Infantino, general secretary of European football's governing body.

"This trend has to change very quickly, but not too quickly, so we actually catch out the cheating clubs. We need to safeguard the likes of Shiek Monsour. We must end this negative spiral of people saying we dont act, and gamble on our token gesture looking like we are serious. These losses cannot continue, I have kids to feed"

Uefa's head of legal affairs, Alistair Bell, said: "The system does not have any credibility, because a big club that is in serious breach of the rules is not going to be punished in an effective way as we will give them enough time to make up some figures.

"For me the sanctions need to be effective enough that people look like they have come into compliance with the system, to the average Joe, but really, they havent actually changed a thing. Otherwise clubs are going to become disillusioned rapidly, and we will have to listen to their whining about fairness"

"This is the last friendly heads up to City and PSG....just so we make sure they fix their books, and arrange some ludicrous sponsership deals in good time" said Gianni Infantino, general secretary of European football's governing body."

Not allowed under the new rules, sponsorship and other revenue streams have to be at market rates

Not allowed under the new rules, sponsorship and other revenue streams have to be at market rates

So City's owners son, sponsering their training ground for xMillion will be pulled up on? No...because they were given a nice two year comfort zone, to do all the things the "FFP" will ban.

Pointless.

Last edited:
So City's owners son, sponsering their training ground for xMillion will be pulled up on? No...because they were given a nice two year comfort zone, to do all the things the "FFP" will ban.

Pointless.

Not sure a new training ground counts in football expenses... i know building a new stadium doesn't.

"This is the last friendly heads up to City and PSG....just so we make sure they fix their books, and arrange some ludicrous sponsership deals in good time" said Gianni Infantino, general secretary of European football's governing body.

"This trend has to change very quickly, but not too quickly, so we actually catch out the cheating clubs. We need to safeguard the likes of Shiek Monsour. We must end this negative spiral of people saying we dont act, and gamble on our token gesture looking like we are serious. These losses cannot continue, I have kids to feed"

Uefa's head of legal affairs, Alistair Bell, said: "The system does not have any credibility, because a big club that is in serious breach of the rules is not going to be punished in an effective way as we will give them enough time to make up some figures.

"For me the sanctions need to be effective enough that people look like they have come into compliance with the system, to the average Joe, but really, they havent actually changed a thing. Otherwise clubs are going to become disillusioned rapidly, and we will have to listen to their whining about fairness"

That is very good :)
...and amazingly accurate too.

the continued eurozone crisis negativity may be forcing uefa's hand. every large institution has been asked to "stress test" their business to ensure operating viability.

likely scenario that UEFA came up with : banks withdraw/retract loan facilities, clubs go into administration, league collapses, only a handful of clubs remain financially viable and league needs to be restructured.

Not sure a new training ground counts in football expenses... i know building a new stadium doesn't.

Like I said, pointless.

Whats the point in making rules that:
a) Can be breached with loopholes.
b) You give all the clubs they are designed to punish, enough time to exploit this loopholes.

Im pretty sure there is no way on this earth UFEA would bar teams like Barca, Man U or Real Madrid from the Champions League. Sponsors and TV companys would go into meltdown

I think that they are being phased in, so there is more leeway in the first few years.

They will probably keep phasing the rules in for a couple more years, until UEFA/FIFA are sure all major clubs are safe. Then they will punish some poor, random Belgian club severely so they can proudly say "Look, we dealt with the problem!", while in reality things stay the same and the big money clubs keep on with their big money business.

Sad, really. If the governing bodies of football had any balls (no pun intended), the problem of financial doping would've been erradicated years ago, and teams would compete on more level terms than today. But money talks, I suppose. In brown envelopes as well as sponsorship/ownership.

Can't believe the negativity in this thread. UEFA has to start from somewhere. And, in my book, this is a good start.

Back