• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FIFA U-20 World Cup 2013

Spurs7891

Jermaine Jenas
I am surprised not much attention is being given to the U-20 World Cup which is being hosted by Turkey June 21-July 13. It used to be a very prestigious tournament when it was known as World Youth Championship until 2005. It created so many world super stars such as Maradona, Messi, Aguero, Owen etc.

Unfortunately, it has lost the prestige of old as many big teams are promoting their youngsters to their senior teams very early nowadays. But still find it hard to accept that both Brazil and Argentina who have won 11 out of 18 titles have failed to qualify to the U-20 WC this time. Any World Cup is all about Europe Vs Brazil and Argentina. So it will be interesting to see how this WC fares without both the giants of Brazil and Argentina.

Find it really annoying this WC is being held at the same time as the Confederation Cup in Brazil which is a rehearsal for the senior WC 2014. With both being FIFA tournaments, don't understand why they didn't adjust the schedule to avoid the clash of both tournaments.

Last edited:
Just noticed that both Harry Kane and Alex Pritchard are in the England squad.

ENGLAND U20 SQUAD
Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Manchester United), George Long (Sheffield United), Connor Ripley (Middlesbrough).
Defenders: Sam Byram (Leeds United), Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), Jamaal Lascelles (Nottingham Forest), Danny Potts (West Ham United), Adam Reach (Middlesbrough), John Stones (Everton), Tom Thorpe (Manchester United).
Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Gael Bigirimana (Saudi Sportswashing Machine), Conor Coady (Liverpool), Larnell Cole (Manchester United), John Lundstram (Everton), James Ward Prowse (Southampton).
Forwards: Chris Long (Everton), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Williams (Middlesbrough).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...aylors-World-Cup-squad.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Hope both will get to play and have a good tournament.

So the U-20 WC is starting in less than 1 hour. Disappointingly, there is hardly any media coverage of this tournament so far.

France-Ghana and Cuba-South Korea matches are kicking off the tournament, both being played at the same time. It seems FIFA is undermining this tournament by not only clashing it with Confederation Cup but also having a few matches being played at the same time. Hope we will send our scouts to identify young talents from this tournament.

Fifa u20 World Cup games being shown on Eurosport, but all being shown on the fifa website. May be a few you fancy not on tv.

I reckon France will win it.

Fifa u20 World Cup games being shown on Eurosport, but all being shown on the fifa website. May be a few you fancy not on tv.

I reckon France will win it.

Don't rule out Spain. They seems to be winning every major tournament they are competing in nowadays. They come into this tournament as champions of European U-19 championship which is the qualifying tournament for this WC. And Spain just hammered US 4-1 in the opening match.

France bt Ghana 3-1
Spain bt US 4-1
South Korea bt Cuba 2-1
Portugal bt Nigeria 3-2

Total of 17 goals scored in the first 4 matches. Good start to the tournament.

This tourney is probably the first generation of players to come through after they revolutionized football at grass roots here. Trying not to rely on our best and brightest having to develop overseas. So far so good.

Just returned from Antalya and the weather was starting to average out at around 30c. Been there twice before and if you are not bang on the coast then the city can be very humid. I assume the stadium isn't near the coast thus could be a slow game. Not like the England lads have had a chance to acclimatise to the sun! Iraq may use it to their advantage.

Methinks Spain, they seem to win everything these days

I pretty much based it on Football Manager if I am honest with you. Zouma, Areola, Umtiti, Digne, Pogba, Sanogo, Bahebeck are all great on FM (which is rarely wrong)

I have hardly heard of any of the Spanish team bar a few like Suso.

Obviously, I'm not saying I know these players and personally I don't care about any of them, I just want to see an exciting tournament involving future stars of world football who by 5 or so years time we may know a lot more about.

What are the odds on Turkey? Always had decent youth teams and now at home.

Saw the goals against El Salvador and very neat. There's a Fellaini lookalike in the middle of the park who looks very useful.

Ignore my earlier post about the weather; just realised it's almost 10pm in Turkey.

1-0 to England.

Kane had a really powerful run past several defenders and finish that lead up to the corner as well.
He hasn't done too much else, he needs more play around him to shine. Think England's wide men are missing.

Spurs' linked Ante Rebic with the winning goal for Croatia today as well.

Back