• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FIFA: Destroying Football Since 1904

I’m all for it, as long as we get rid of the individual continental tournaments.

All qualifying needs to happen in the off summer breaks too.

Oh, and a complete ban on international friendlies too please.

It'll kill broader interest developed by the intrigues formed by a quadrennial World Cup and the continental championships played in between. In its current format, the World Cup remains the pinnacle event, but many nations will head into one knowing they need to still develop. Those nations, assuming they aren't ready yet to cop the continental titles, use the Euros or Copa America to develop their squads for the World Cup. Plenty of things to be interested in if your team isn't a contender.

Slamming World Cups at us every two years will simply kill interest in it. Just look at ice hockey's annual world championship event, usually played in Europe. The National Hockey League is still in the late stages of its playoffs when it is played and no one in Norfa Merica, ice hockey's biggest market by far, gives the least flying fcuk about some contrived annual event played to zero media interest in Finland or Sweden or the Czech Republic.

But when the Olympics come along - or the irregularly staged World Cup of Hockey - hockey fans in Norfa Merica - and hockey media - are riveted to the event.

I’m all for it, as long as we get rid of the individual continental tournaments.

All qualifying needs to happen in the off summer breaks too.

Oh, and a complete ban on international friendlies too please.

I made more money from betting on internationals, friendlies and qualifiers then I did in my 20 hour part time job in the last year.

Back