• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FIFA: Destroying Football Since 1904

Yellow cards work in rugby because the man advantage consistently pays dividends. In football it is much easier to shut up shop for ten minutes. The reds tend to hurt when they are early and a team have to manage an hour with the disadvantage. I suspect they would have a negative effect.

At the moment yellow cards mean you are effectively allowed one deliberate foul, once on a yellow you can't risk another. If the sin bin comes in, it should be as well as a yellow, otherwise you are allowed multiple deliberate fouls, and as @jts1882 says, the rest of the team shuts up shop until you're back.
Haven't they tried trial games without the offside rule before?

Not sure I see how abolishing the offside rule would prevent nine players plus goalkeeper packing the penalty area? (That seems to be what the article is saying).

The ability to perfectly time a pass, or a run, to get beyond the defenders and leave them playing catch up is a skill to be admired and encouraged. Frustrating yes when it goes wrong, but get-our-of-your-seat excitement at that moment when your player breaks through. By getting rid of the offside rule you are removing integral parts of the game - decision making in the timing of the run or picking the right pass at the right time to the right (onside) player; discipline in holding the line; judgement in when to deploy an offside 'trap'. All valid and key skills.
Undoubtedly there are things that can be done to reduce the complexity of the offside rule and to help officials make the right calls. But let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Among Van Basten's other ideas is one to replace extra-time and penalties with ice hockey-style shootouts involving players dribbling towards the goalkeeper from "25 metres out".

We used to do this in the State"s during the early 80's, stupid idea then stupid idea now.

Among Van Basten's other ideas is one to replace extra-time and penalties with ice hockey-style shootouts involving players dribbling towards the goalkeeper from "25 metres out".

We used to do this in the State"s during the early 80's, stupid idea then stupid idea now.
I remember how crap that was.

I think offside is worth playing with

don't like the sin bin idea though

I'm the other way round.

Happy to keep offside (in a simplified old style if you are beyond the last player in the opponents half you are offside' way) whilst sin bins for yellow cards I like as it actually has meaningful impact on the game you are fouling in rather than a ban against a different opponent 9 weeks later.

Much more keen on expanding retrospective TV reviews for all matches and al types of events and get rid of the silly 'if the ref saw it at the time' rule as well.

I'm the other way round.

Happy to keep offside (in a simplified old style if you are beyond the last player in the opponents half you are offside' way) whilst sin bins for yellow cards I like as it actually has meaningful impact on the game you are fouling in rather than a ban against a different opponent 9 weeks later.

Much more keen on expanding retrospective TV reviews for all matches and al types of events and get rid of the silly 'if the ref saw it at the time' rule as well.

with you on the replays and the ref rule

I'd rather we just lower the bar for cards rather than have players waiting around on the sidelines

Some 25 years ago there was a trial here with an ice-hockey style offside rule, where the ball had to cross the line before the player. It was utterly ridiculous. In addition, if the game ended as a draw, there was a penalty shootout, with the winner awarded an extra point (2 points). This meant that weak teams just set up to defend to nick a draw and possible win the shootout. Some really terribly boring games that year.Thankfully that trial ended after 1 season.

Some 25 years ago there was a trial here with an ice-hockey style offside rule, where the ball had to cross the line before the player. It was utterly ridiculous. In addition, if the game ended as a draw, there was a penalty shootout, with the winner awarded an extra point (2 points). This meant that weak teams just set up to defend to nick a draw and possible win the shootout. Some really terribly boring games that year.Thankfully that trial ended after 1 season.

There are always some who keep trying to change what are usually great sports, i suppose they have to try and justify their ( usually) obscene salary"s. But the yanks are probably the worse, during my playing time there they had all sorts of stupid ideas, they even had players coming out on elephants ( i kid you not) refs in each half of the pitch, no draws, marching bands the lot.

There are always some who keep trying to change what are usually great sports, i suppose they have to try and justify their ( usually) obscene salary"s. But the yanks are probably the worse, during my playing time there they had all sorts of stupid ideas, they even had players coming out on elephants ( i kid you not) refs in each half of the pitch, no draws, marching bands the lot.
The concept of a game without a winner, is incomprehensible for americans.

The concept of a game without a winner, is incomprehensible for americans.

Unfortunately the concept of losing is incomprehensible to most fans and teams. They fail to see there's no shame in losing a game you're trying to win, so we have to live with 9 and 10 men behind the ball and hope you can nick a result, taken the greatest game in the world to 90 minutes of tedium and frustration.

Back