• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fernando Llorente

I agree about Janssen and believe we cut him lose too soon, as for Llorente i still think it was a good buy and its far too soon to start writing him off.

Agreed, difficult to assess him given he's pretty much only had 10-15 min cameos. I do agree with the comments though that it would be nice to have seen something from him so far. Janssen, according to wiki, has got 2 in 8 from Fenerbahce so he's not exactly tearing it up in a weaker league either. Maybe it'll turn out that neither is good enough?

P.S. Also saw that VJ's full name is 'Vincent Petrus Anna Sebastiaan Janssen'....Anna?

Agreed, difficult to assess him given he's pretty much only had 10-15 min cameos. I do agree with the comments though that it would be nice to have seen something from him so far. Janssen, according to wiki, has got 2 in 8 from Fenerbahce so he's not exactly tearing it up in a weaker league either. Maybe it'll turn out that neither is good enough?

P.S. Also saw that VJ's full name is 'Vincent Petrus Anna Sebastiaan Janssen'....Anna?

Maybe they will, however there is no doubt that Llorente is a top player ( titles wins and also WC and EC winner) he is among the best but we have to play to his strengths and so far we have failed to do so. Janssen is still unproven here and maybe he will not get the chance to do that.

Maybe they will, however there is no doubt that Llorente is a top player ( titles wins and also WC and EC winner) he is among the best but we have to play to his strengths and so far we have failed to do so. Janssen is still unproven here and maybe he will not get the chance to do that.
He certainly is better than we have seen from him, and as you say we've not really played to his strengths at all. We seem to avoid crossing it when he is on the pitch which is a bit weird.

Besides that he didn't hold up the ball well at all against Palace and that was what we needed at the time. Too many flicks and first time layoffs that didn't work. Early days though.

He certainly is better than we have seen from him, and as you say we've not really played to his strengths at all. We seem to avoid crossing it when he is on the pitch which is a bit weird.

Besides that he didn't hold up the ball well at all against Palace and that was what we needed at the time. Too many flicks and first time layoffs that didn't work. Early days though.

That is probably because most of his appearances have come late in games where we are trying to retain possession.

Is Llorente going to be another non-goal scoring striker for us like Soldado and Janssen ? He doesn't even gets into any goal scoring positions now. At least Janssen was getting those goal scoring chances. We should have kept Janssen at least until January as he had spend 1 season with us. Unlike Janssen who is 23, Llorente is getting old at 32. Not sure how long we can wait for him to start performing for us.

Well that honeymoon period didn't last long, it's rich when you see all the comments about other clubs "fans" when you see the same sort of reaction on this site.

This.

Give. Him. Time.

Give him time, give Aurier time, give Foyth time, give Gazzaniga time - hell, give Davinson time if he starts slipping up at some point.

Players need f*cking time. Age doesn't matter.

Judge him next season. Or make the same mistake half our damn fans made with Rose, and Son, and Lamela, and Davies, and too many other players and signings to f*cking name.

I really wish we wouldn't do this now, but we do it every time. And it's not like we're struggling in some grim Everton-esque situation where every signing needs to hit the ground running from the word 'go' - we're doing well, we have a stable side, we're on the up. Showing a bit of patience is easier now than it was when we were in transition. And if you're proved right, you'll be happy - you gave the player time, and he delivered. And if you're proven wrong, you'll be content in that you at least gave the player time before arriving at what will inevitably be a fairer judgement than if you bin them off in f*cking November, two months after they arrive. :mad:

This.

Give. Him. Time.

Give him time, give Aurier time, give Foyth time, give Gazzaniga time - hell, give Davinson time if he starts slipping up at some point.

Players need f*cking time. Age doesn't matter.

Judge him next season. Or make the same mistake half our damn fans made with Rose, and Son, and Lamela, and Davies, and too many other players and signings to f*cking name.

I really wish we wouldn't do this now, but we do it every time. And it's not like we're struggling in some grim Everton-esque situation where every signing needs to hit the ground running from the word 'go' - we're doing well, we have a stable side, we're on the up. Showing a bit of patience is easier now than it was when we were in transition. And if you're proved right, you'll be happy - you gave the player time, and he delivered. And if you're proven wrong, you'll be content in that you at least gave the player time before arriving at what will inevitably be a fairer judgement than if you bin them off in f*cking November, two months after they arrive. :mad:

I agree on giving players time in general, I particularly agree when talking about younger players and players new to the league.

I thought part of the point of signing somewhat older players that are PL proven is that they're likely to settle in quicker though. It looked like Llorrente would do that given his performance against Real. I think voicing some frustration when he doesn't keep that up is fair.

I agree about Janssen and believe we cut him lose too soon, as for Llorente i still think it was a good buy and its far too soon to start writing him off.
For me its more about getting rid of Jansen thats the issue than criticising Llorente signing for me. Llorente is a good striker in his own right but he doesnt look like a forward that fits into our style. Jansen works hard and looks mobile whilst Llorente doesnt look like he will ever be that type of striker for me - like when Liverpool signed Benteke, a good striker in his own right but was never likely going to fit into the Liverpool setup. Not writing Llorente off at all, but given the choice I would have rather persevered with Jansen, assuming he wanted to remain....

I agree on giving players time in general, I particularly agree when talking about younger players and players new to the league.

I thought part of the point of signing somewhat older players that are PL proven is that they're likely to settle in quicker though. It looked like Llorrente would do that given his performance against Real. I think voicing some frustration when he doesn't keep that up is fair.

Not particularly, in my opinion. Llorente hasn't played in the Premier League in a style similar to ours - and, equally, we haven't played to his strengths yet. We need time to adapt to him, and he needs time to adapt to us - his age is less important here, in my opinion.

I don't care if llorente never scores a goal for us - that game against Madrid at the bernabeu is his strength - collecting the ball and bringing players in - if he helps our other players score than that is the benefit.

I wish he would just play with Kane more - don't seem him as a like for like replacement off the bench - should take one of the midfielders off (like son if he starts) and have kane drop a bit deeper.

Not overly concerned yet, particularly bearing in mind he had no pre season with us. It is frustrating at the moment to see the lack of crosses for him when he is on the pitch, but expect him to play better in the New Year when he is up to fitness and we start to learn to play to his strengths.

Something that caught my eye on Sunday was how he was really coaching/encouraging Son from the touchline when Son had had a few things not come off

We need more from him, but I think he'll be ok. One thing he certainly has done on the pitch is create chances for others and show nice touches in build-up play. The "running around a bit" aspect of things is easier to fix than if he was a carthorse who couldn't play football.

Last edited:
Not particularly, in my opinion. Llorente hasn't played in the Premier League in a style similar to ours - and, equally, we haven't played to his strengths yet. We need time to adapt to him, and he needs time to adapt to us - his age is less important here, in my opinion.
Don't you see the correlation to what the issue could be? He hasnt played as a lone striker in a pressing team, and his style doesnt look like he will ever be suited to such. At the same time our style means we arent a team that particularly goes ariel - Dele scored a few from his head ghosting in from midfield, but Im not convinced we will ever go the direct route even as a plan B. Not criticising Llorente, just dont think he is that suited to our team and would have preferred Janssen. But for sure, still early days but maybe now people can appreciate how difficult it can be as an understudy to Kane. No matter how established a striker you are, only getting minutes here and there and expecting to get goals/impact the game to anywhere near Kanes level is extremely tough.....

This. People expect players to come in and perform at Poch levels right away. Even if you have PL experience, this isn't going to happen, even more so if you are a 32-year old striker who didn't get a pre-season with us and has to adapt to a different system. Chill and let the process work itself out.

Converse to some of the opinions on here I think that Llorente has held the ball up well when coming on late in games with us protecting a lead/draw.

Sounds painfully familiar (cough Soldado).

Back