1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Fernando Llorente

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Aug 2017.

1. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Cecil Poynton

Who has started playing well that he is now talking about a new contract.

2. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Milija Aleksic

Wrong again.

3. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Nayim

Would hardly say he is playing well

But he has had an impact that’s for sure

milo likes this.
  4. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Michael Carrick

Has appeared in all 11 games in 2019 including 7 starts, netting 6 times. How is that not getting regular opportunities?

5. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Milija Aleksic

Re-read my post. I'm saying he's playing better now because he's getting regular opportunities, not because he wants a new contract FFS.

6. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Eidur Gudjohnsen

Agreed. Pochettino should find a way of keeping him fit. He moves a lot easier nowadays.

7. Briddo1882

Briddo1882 Jamie Redknapp

The simple fact is llorente has helped to contribute to our good form without the likes of Harry, Dele and Dier being available. He is a good option for us to have. A proven striker, with a history of winning things that is happy to play a support role for the team.

You’ve seen his reaction to some of his goals recently - and I was so pleased he came on and scored against Dortmund.

I think he is a great option to bring off the bench, he seems a popular member of the squad, he doesnt court bad headlines about not playing, he just keeps his head down and gets on with his job. I hope he keeps playing the reliable role he is playing.

And for his critics, I would love to see a stat about mins/goal, i think we’d be surprised to see how low it is.

Mosquito_Coasting and alekaras like this.
  8. billyiddo

billyiddo Paul Stewart Staff Member

He's proving himself worth keeping beyond this season and unless we have a long term target in mind that is available/gettable in the summer it would make sense to keep him around rather than roll the dice on another cheap backup CF who will probably turn out to struggle to get going for the same reasons Llorente did last year.

thfcsteff and Robspur12 like this.
  9. MKSpur

MKSpur Tim Sherwood

Although delighted he hasn’t let anyone down in his most recent appearances and I wouldn’t argue that with more game time he will get sharper and move a little better, this period has been a freak in terms of his selection. If he signs a new deal it would take Son and Kane to both be out at the same time for him to be considered to start a game of any importance, which will mean he will never get run of games he needs to be at the top of his game.

I’ll happily admit I was wrong when I thought Son couldn’t play as a 9 against top opposition, but this means with Kane unlikely to be genuinely rested or rotated, whoever it is we keep / sign will be a distant third choice. I think our third option has to be another player who can also get some minutes as an AMF, with Sterling getting opportunities against lower league teams in the cup.

10. Daisuk

Daisuk Frederic Kanoute

Crazy.

Briddo1882 likes this.
  11. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Michael Carrick

Oops! Apologies, read it out of context.

nayenezgani likes this.
  12. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Cecil Poynton

Because he wants a new contract. I give some money to the guy sat outside co-op sometimes, because 1 he does not annoy me and 2 he has not been trying to steal a living the last 18 months. Llorente can do one. I can tolerate him being cack, but only starting to put in a bit of effort when he wants a new contract, bugger off.

13. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Chris Perry

Give him a contract. Easiest way to solve the backup striker issue for a year.

It's a dramatic turnaround from a month ago, but hey, he deserves it. Even if his goalscoring is temporary, his bullish ability to knock it down to others is worth keeping.

Mosquito_Coasting likes this.
  14. AdamB

AdamB Cecil Poynton

Might just come down to money. We have 6 main players for the 4 attacking positions (Kane, DEle, Son, Eriksen, Lamela and Moura). Really you need 8 based on 2 players per position.

I think we need another Son-like player - mobile attacker who can play behind the front man, and ideally, though not critical, also deputise as a CF.

If you add that 7th player, then is it worth spending £100k per week (£5m per year) or whatever Llorente would want as your 8th player for those positions? Probably not. I'd rather get a young player

15. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Chris Perry

That would be fine, too. In fact, I agree. But I think we're not likely to get a Son-esque player who's also happy being a backup to Son. Maybe Ryan Sessegnon if Fulham go down, but he's more of a traditional winger, and I doubt he can play as a CF.

Thus, keeping Llorente around would allow us to retain relatively healthy numbers up front. And then, in 2020, we can assess if Troy Parrott is ready to make the step up to be a backup striker to Kane and Son.

16. Raziel

Raziel Steve Carr

Yep, we will have bigger priorities to deal with over summer ..

DubaiSpur likes this.
  17. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

Played well yesterday and led the line well, very unlucky when his shot hit the bar after a great touch to bring it down.

18. Jordinho

Jordinho John White Staff Member

Peter Crouch, your heir has arrived.

Robbo, glasgowspur and Jon like this.
  19. johnola

johnola Pascal Chimbonda

Forever Llegente.

20. Rorschach

Rorschach Erik Thorstvedt

Yellow and blue. Never forget