• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fernando Llorente

Our first team was barely good enough to beat Swnasea away in the league - do I want to risk playing our second string in an FA Cup quarter final? No thanks.

You're missing the point about the 'B team'. Individually they might have the quality to play in the first team, but when you literally put a second string altogether in one team the fluidity and quality of performance as a team is well below what it should be....

I think that some of our problem against Swansea away in the league was one of performance rather than personnel and any of our first team squad should be good enough to be beat them

I agree about the fluidity about the B team, although they have played together quite a lot recently, so that should become less of a problem.

I suspect that we are probably getting to the stage of the competition where Poch will partially rotate the team for the FA Cup games. With maybe five changes from the previous league game.

Our first team was barely good enough to beat Swnasea away in the league - do I want to risk playing our second string in an FA Cup quarter final? No thanks.

You're missing the point about the 'B team'. Individually they might have the quality to play in the first team, but when you literally put a second string altogether in one team the fluidity and quality of performance as a team is well below what it should be....
Conditions in that game were horrendous if you remember. Torrential rain.
Also Swansea have recently beaten Arsenal and Liverpool there.

With respect to the B team, I think the balance of the sides has often been an issue. I've maintained that we need either one of Eriksen or Lamela to knit it all together. I think the team we chose yesterday was very strong, Winks and Sissoko in the middle struggled. Winks needs these games, he's not got up to speed since his injury.

Add Dembele, Vertonghen and Kane in for Sissoko, Foyth, Llorente and it's a very strong side. I really liked the trio of Lucas, Son and Lamela

What have Rochdale got to do with Swansea? The team today was good enough to beat what was infront of them, I agreed with Poch's selection including Llorente. Swansea away is levels above what we have played so far in the cup. We drew 2 away games to far, far inferior teams to them and in the quarter final, we don't have the luxury of getting a draw and taking them back to Wembley. We'll need Lloris, Vertonghen, Eriksen and Kane in the team imo.
I think you are forgetting that when faced with more difficult opposition the players tend to raise their game. If the B team we put out yesterday plays with intensity and focus, they should be good enough to deal with Swansea. And I do not think Swansea will put out their entire A team either, what with them being in a relegation scrap, so this team should have more than enough to take care of them, especially on a PL pitch and not a potato field.

I think that some of our problem against Swansea away in the league was one of performance rather than personnel and any of our first team squad should be good enough to be beat them

I agree about the fluidity about the B team, although they have played together quite a lot recently, so that should become less of a problem.

I suspect that we are probably getting to the stage of the competition where Poch will partially rotate the team for the FA Cup games. With maybe five changes from the previous league game.
Don't forget the weather that night and also Kane had man flu and only played 20mins?

Think Poch will go strong but with some big guns left on the bench as there is the potential for extra time.

And of course it depends whose fit?

Think Poch will go strong but with some big guns left on the bench as there is the potential for extra time.

Yeah. I know this is the Llorente thread, but there's no way we can "go strong" with our first choice CB pairing out. The worry about Huddersfield - and Juve - is what on earth our defence looks like.

Agree, depends on fitness and how close the nearest games are.

No game should be taken lightly, but the facts are
- We last played Swansea when the weather/injuries played a part, and they had new manager dead cat bounce
- This game will be a zero priority for them considering their current PL issues

As I've said before, we have to trust the squad and acknowledge the progress we have made

- I believe the addition of Lamela & Lucas (+Son) to starting 11 of the "B team" has given us the attack threat we lacked. Trippier +Llorente is also the right combination.
- The CB lineup could be adjusted, hopefully one of Toby/Jan/Sanchez can join Foyth to move Dier out of CB (not his best role)
- Llorente earned a start in next game.
- The only other addition I would consider is swapping Winks out.
- Dele/Kane on bench as required.

We would have won yesterday's game 8-0 or better if the ref didn't fudge it up, the team at times looked very fluid.

Managers are paid to make tough gambles, and I think you will see another by Poch at the QF

Dont get me wrong Im not saying we would always struggle vs Swansea away, but they are strong enough for us to have to field a stronger team if we are taking the Cup seriously - and we really should be. Starting the main men and bringing them off when the job is done is the most logical and safest route for me....

Conditions in that game were horrendous if you remember. Torrential rain.
Also Swansea have recently beaten Arsenal and Liverpool there.

With respect to the B team, I think the balance of the sides has often been an issue. I've maintained that we need either one of Eriksen or Lamela to knit it all together. I think the team we chose yesterday was very strong, Winks and Sissoko in the middle struggled. Winks needs these games, he's not got up to speed since his injury.

Add Dembele, Vertonghen and Kane in for Sissoko, Foyth, Llorente and it's a very strong side. I really liked the trio of Lucas, Son and Lamela
I agree that whoever our three AMs are we are fine in that area. I would hope for a stronger spine like you alluded to,whoever the FBs are I am not concerned about. Kane, our strongest available CBs, Dembele and probably Eriksen are a must for me.....

I agree that whoever our three AMs are we are fine in that area. I would hope for a stronger spine like you alluded to,whoever the FBs are I am not concerned about. Kane, our strongest available CBs, Dembele and probably Eriksen are a must for me.....

I think that the decision needs to taken nearer the time and in consideration of the squads fitness. I agree that we are getting to the stage of the competition where we should be looking to field stronger teams but that should not come at the expense of jeopardising our league form (our priority has to be finishing in the top four). I do not think that we need to field all of Kane, Eriksen, Dembele, Verts and Sanchez/Alderweireld, I would be quite happy for three of them to sit it out and still think that we could put out a very strong side.

Mentioned it in the other thread but the Swansea QF comes before the international break and without a midweek game in the run up (unless the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game gets moved to that week?) So we shouldn't need to worry about rotation unless it's required

Mentioned it in the other thread but the Swansea QF comes before the international break and without a midweek game in the run up (unless the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game gets moved to that week?) So we shouldn't need to worry about rotation unless it's required

That’s true but I think there’s a lot to be said for preventative rather than restorative rest.

Agree, first team for Swansea - it is then an international break.

We just about got a result there in the league with the first team.

They have picked up since then too, they beat Liverpool's first XI on their own ground, goons too (ok, everyone beats the goons at home nowadays).

Great. Let's pretend that all of our best players are injured so they sit out the internationals.

You're saying that as if none of our players will be playing in the international break. Those games count too, you know! On the plus side, they'll be less intense friendlies, so maybe in that regard you have a point.

I'd offer to drive him away from our club myself. Pointless signing, he's built more for WWF than English Premier League.

He wasnt a pointless signing at the time. He was a very canny move. A little out of left-field but made a lot of sense.

Impossible to argue he hasnt been a total disaster though.
That is a fair comment.

I thought when we signed him he was an astute acquisition. Prem experience, a plan b if we needed it, a proven winner. It didn't work out though. We never adjusted our playing style when he was on the pitch I thought. He was never Kane mark II nor could he be.

Either way, I wish him the best.

That is a fair comment.

I thought when we signed him he was an astute acquisition. Prem experience, a plan b if we needed it, a proven winner. It didn't work out though. We never adjusted our playing style when he was on the pitch I thought. He was never Kane mark II nor could he be.

Either way, I wish him the best.

That's the way i saw it as well but as you say it did not work out, however i would not be surprised that he and Kane have not chatted on occasion. Llorente has been there and got the t/shirt and has probably passed a lot onto Kane about his experiences.

Back