• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Favourite World Cup...

Easy one this

'78
Kempes
Holland
Archie

There's two moments for me, the Peru free kick against Scotland, sublime, only just beaten by Archie. The other isn't a moment as such, but the final itself.
It was the day after my big sisters wedding and the family and more than few friends left over the wedding watched it.
I was 10 that summer and it was the first big international tournament I'd seen. Pity most have been pants in comparison since.

I naturally assumed you meant all answers to be the same thing i.e. it seemed odd to me that the above answer featured different years, games, players.

For me it was all 1990 England vs West Germany, everything about it was so incredible. The moment, the characters, the pain, the joy, the excitement, the pinnacle of a tense tournament, everything was perfect apart from one small detail. Spoiler alert...
Gazza getting booked, Lineker looking at Bobby Robson. Steve Bull waiting in the wings after that goal against Belgium. Incredible. Brehme's deflected freekick off Paul Parker, looping over the hapless Shilts for the second tournament in a row. I remember vividly, I was 15, watching with friends in the lounge with the curtains drawn over the doors...when it all went wrong with Waddle's beautiful penalty rising powerfully into the roof of the....stand we all screamed in frustration as only freshly embittered teenagers can, punching the floor, stamping on bunny rabbits, railing against the world... I remember running out into the sunshine in the garden and thinking what a cruel world it was ... and my dad burst into the lounge and asked what the *dingdongens* was going on, as he had no clue of the importance to the world.

Being an England fan AND a Spurs fan truly messed me up.

• Tournament - 1990
  • Player - Baggio 1994
  • Team - Italy 1994
  • Match - England-Cameroon 1990
  • Goal - Ray Houghton (closely followed by Lineker's equaliser against Germany)
  • Moment - the ever more violent Cameroonian tackles against Caniggia's
    run

That 1990 England v cameroon match, i remember was on the other side of the world and woke in the middle of the night to see david platt score that amazing spin and volley from the free kick. Then Cameroon struck with two goals, before we were saved by potato chomping Lineker's penalties.

That team wasn't especially aesthetic, but boy did they fight hard to win a match any which way (now I've got New Order's World in Motion/singing for england in my head...).

Expecting something different this time around from this bunch of lads.

71DDggVPijL._SX425_.jpg

:oops:

• Tournament = 1982 although the hype for '78 was memorable and Italia '90 was pretty great too...
  • Player = Maradona
  • Team = Brazil '82
  • Match = Italy v Brazil '82 tied with Holland v Scotland '78
  • Goal = If I have to pick one, Archie Gemmill v Holland
  • Moment = Gazza crying after being booked , 1990...my personally-experienced best moment was the final whistle of the '94 Final, I was there with the Sepultura lads, and I kid you not, Igor, Max and a good dozen others in our group surged down the Rose Bowl steps screaming determined to get on the pitch, the place went fudging mental, absolutely mental, and the gig they played that night was, well, what you'd expect given the circumstances! Brazil always makes the World Cup a little better...that '82 side is hands down one of the greatest teams I have ever seen in my life. I saw them play a friendly against England in '81 (two days before I was back for the reply against Emirates Marketing Project), they won 1-0 but there were some superb players out there.

Italia ‘90 - I was the right age to watch games in pubs for the first time. I had finished my second year exams at university and watched almost every game while living in football mad Saudi Sportswashing Machine.
Maradona
Brazil ‘82
NI -v- Spain ‘82
Gerry Armstrong in same game
Pat Jennings’ last game for NI in ‘86. We lost 3-0 to Brazil. It would have been 30-0 if it hadn’t been for the big man.

I vividly remember the hype and expectation. Ally’s Army. Jordan missing his teeth and getting them back thanks to Heineken. Asa Hartford perm, Masson...Willie Johnstone dope scandal...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

If ever there was a press stitch up job this was it.
Ally was a very nice but rather naive man who unexpectedly started a tidal wave that the press ramped to the max.

• Tournament - Mexico '86
  • Player - Baggio '94
  • Team - Denmark '86
  • Match - France vs Brazil '86 (unbelivable game, played in 45° heat!)
  • Goal - Manuel Negrete vs Bulgaria '86
  • Moment - Not the best, but a funny one I remember well. Carlos Valderama went out injured and walked into the tunnel, only to emerge about 10 minutes later, fitter than ever and entering the field again! USA '94

It seems that nearly everyone's favourite world cup is the first one that they properly remember

That; and the quality (of the tournaments, not necessarily football) has been declining, at least since 1998. I think that's partly due to the lack of romance and mystery, now all the players are so well know since they've all come into European club football. There used to be much more wonder about exotic unknown nations.

Back