• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Favourite non PL based players

spurspinter1

Paul Stalteri
We had one for PL players on the old board thought it'd be interesting to see who pops up in this one. I may tally them up after a while, I may not...

Give three, and maybe a bit of reasoning of why you like them, can be playing style personality looks (?) or whatever. Doesn't have to be massive players or people you specifically think we should be in for. I'm not attempting to say that number 1 is better than number 2 etc

Mine are as follows...

1. Clarence Seedorf - It's amazing how much he has achieved and always comes across well in interviews, seems like a true gent of the game. Seems like a really useful person to have about even if he can't play week in week out anymore. I'm still ever hopeful to see him play in the premier league.

2. Andres Iniesta - A very very boring choice but he is just so good to watch, so damn graceful. At 27 he's still got a lot of time to achieve much more as well.

3. Iker Muniain - He's still a kid but he's a player that could have the world at his feet within a couple of years imo. Such a livewire, great technique and seems to have a good attitude in terms of working for the team as well.

Santi Cazorla would have been in here but he hasn't really thrived after taking the money move at Malaga...

I'm all ears.

The Prince

tumblr_lhcqlmzL0E1qcxs0bo1_400.gif

Last edited:
Arjen Robben I know he has in the past gained a reputation for diving, but other than our own Gareth Bale I don't think there's a better winger in the world. His pace, guile, passing range, shooting ability, change of direction are all amazing to watch, there is no fullback in the world who could stop a top-form Robben. He is a phenomenal player who I never tired of watching.

Xabi Alonso Much like Robben he is a player I could watch all day, every day. An absolute pass master he is just a pleasure to see. I don't like the Spain team or their style, on the whole, but Alonso is an exception. Fantastic player, there's not a squad in the world he couldn't improve.

Ezequiel Lavezzi The Napoli forward is again a favourite of mine to watch, his craft, tenacity, work rate are all exceptional. Very Tevez like but with more flair, some would say less end product, which I sort of disagree with. He doesn't get the goals, he makes a lot though, either directly or indirectly (like Luka Modric) he has decent pace, amazing technique and even when he has a poor game he is a threat to the opposition. Astounding player.

Honourable mentions go to Teemu Tainio, Rafael Marquez and Thiago Silva

Last edited:
Bastian Schweinsteiger.

An incredible player. Gerrard and lampard at their peak combined wouldn't even touch Bastian.

For their skill, but mostly because they are some of the very few footballers I have any respect for as persons:

1. Messi
He just loves to play football and doesn't resort to the usual moaning and diving antics.

2. Del Piero
Sublime at his best and has stayed loyal to his club. Very little unsporting behaviour with him as well.

3. Miroslav Klose
Not the most naturally gifted player, but works hard for the team and scores goals wherever he goes.

The Prince

tumblr_lhcqlmzL0E1qcxs0bo1_400.gif

Kind of favor the Prince myself,

also,

Thomas M??ller, Georginio Wijnaldum, Welliton (both purely for FIFA 11 reasons)

[video=youtube;ReCeEi0-BnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReCeEi0-BnA&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;XiCvB8l10Dc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCvB8l10Dc[/video]

Eric Abidal - For this. And so, so many other examples of him just being a fantastic human being.
http://www.goal.com/en-my/news/3895...ric-abidal-visits-young-boy-with-brain-tumour

Alessandro Del Piero- For his loyalty in the face of adversity. When Juve were relegated, for example, he was asked by reporters why he didn't just leave them. His response? 'A true gentleman never leaves his lady.' Classic.

Fabrizio Miccoli- For having the honesty to cry when he scored against his boyhood team, Lecce, even though he played for Palermo. Sure, some would say that if he was really that concerned about Lecce he wouldn't have scored against them, but he was under contract at Palermo. That's how I'd imagine any of us would react if we were privileged enough to play pro football and scored against a struggling Spurs side.

Javier Zanetti- Enough has been said about the man. Class. Loyalty. Honesty. An impeccable haircut.

So many.. less obvious ones include Kagawa for Dortmund, he is just immense every time I see him, Roberto Soldado, has to go to the Euros this summer, and Sergio Busquets, despite being a massive clam he is still a wonderful player.

I also think Ibrahimovic is fudging quality as he finally showed against English opposition tonight. Even though they're brick.

To the OP - no necessarily a fave of mine but Seedorf really is a great professional isn't he? Wonder if he'll go into management or punditry once he retires?

He's past his best now but Francesco Totti has always been my favourite overseas player. Unbelievable skill and vision, not many players I enjoy watching more. I also love the fact that he stayed loyal to Roma despite having offers from the likes of Barca, Madrid, and the bigger Italian clubs, where he could have gone and won a lot more trophies.

My favourite Totti goal (until I think of a different one):
[video=youtube_share;fi-l_mDfuUQ]http://youtu.be/fi-l_mDfuUQ[/video]

Messi - He is a genius

Llorente - I love the way he bullies everyone

Rossi - Villareal's 1 man team.

Xavi - Best play maker in world football

Hummels - Very good young CB

Abate - Only seen him 2 or 3 times including last night and have been very impressed.

Marlos & Lucas - 2 Sao Paulo youngsters very very quick and very skillful will be very big players in the near future.

Danilo (Porto) - Can play a number of positions well, he is very young and another 1 to watch out for.

Bastos - A fantastic player and can score some great goals.

Thiago Silva - One of the best Cb's in the world IMO.

Last edited:
1: Messi

2. Xavi

3. Hard to choose but over the years I have greatly admired Maldini, Zidane, Seedorf, Del Piero, Cannavaro and Roberto Carlos, all of whom were/are great players and great professionals. The real Ronaldo doesn't tick the last box but as Ray Wilkins might say, 'My word, what a player.'

1. Clarence Seedorf - It's amazing how much he has achieved and always comes across well in interviews, seems like a true gent of the game. Seems like a really useful person to have about even if he can't play week in week out anymore. I'm still ever hopeful to see him play in the premier league.
Have loads of respect for the bloke but that grew even more after how badly he took AC Milan's loss to us last year. He started to cry, and you could see how much the game meant to him. Yet, he was still gracious in defeat - had a very good game as well. Only player to have won the Champions League with three different clubs!

Favourite overseas player has to be Xavi. His passing and vision are probably the best that I've ever seen from a central midfielder. He's won the lot - La Liga, Copa del Rey, European + Spanish Super Cup, Champions League, Club World Cup, European Championships and the World Cup!

To the OP - no necessarily a fave of mine but Seedorf really is a great professional isn't he? Wonder if he'll go into management or punditry once he retires?

I'd imagine he'll start coaching then move in to management, that seems the most likely progression to me.

Still think he could do what Patrick Viera did for Emirates Marketing Project at a big premier league club if he choses to leave Milan

Back