• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fantasy game - woulda, coulda, shoulda

Ineista.
We should have signed him when he left barca.
Was everything we needed, old head, been there done it, won it, leader, amazing player.
Davids and vdv rolled into one and then some.
On a free to boot, although the wages would probably haven given Levy a few sleepless nights.

Would have been great.

The issue didn't seem to bother his subsequent clubs.

I am not sure that clubs insure players any longer. I have been advised they now prefer to self insure as the premiums had become outrageously expensive. I really don't know if this is correct, but that is what I have been told. If it is the case, we could presumably have asked for an indemnity from the player himself to protect against any further liability.
No idea about what clubs do now.
I know at Celtic they were happy to sell him because of his heart issue. My wife’s cousins wife was one of the people that did the medical before she got knocked up again.

another word
Insurance... club couldn’t get him insured so if we signed him and played him knowing he had an issue he could sue us for long term loss for earnings
Considering he signed for Celtic, even paying up his whole 4 year contract would’ve been well within our means... If Celtic and Lyon could afford that gamble and we couldn’t then there’s something wrong.

Considering he signed for Celtic, even paying up his whole 4 year contract would’ve been well within our means... If Celtic and Lyon could afford that gamble and we couldn’t then there’s something wrong.

shoot the doctors maybe
I thought he was a perfect signing and little risk for that money
No other English side went in for him either which was odd
Demba ba was another that failed a medical at one club but passed one elsewhere ... it happens but clubs won’t spend money without them I assume

I doubt insurance was the reason. I really do. Maybe we just didn’t think it was worth a £6 million gamble? Celtic after all were only taking a £250k gamble due to only having to pay a UEFA development fee.

Celtic are a cash rich club, relatively speaking, dembele was well worth a punt for them.
They've had good success with this model of transfers, just like we are trying to do.

Funny i don't see any mention of Benteke in this thread, i remember a certain poster being absolutely insistent on us signing him for mega money in the summer of 14/15 and then all through that season before he signed for Liverpool in 15/16...

Funny i don't see any mention of Benteke in this thread, i remember a certain poster being absolutely insistent on us signing him for mega money in the summer of 14/15 and then all through that season before he signed for Liverpool in 15/16...
I wanted Benteke
Also thought Carroll would be good
I’ll also say I wanted ings as I thought we would be better for him than pool at the time
I also wanted Chris woods when he was at Leeds

I wanted Benteke
Also thought Carroll would be good
I’ll also say I wanted ings as I thought we would be better for him than pool at the time
I also wanted Chris woods when he was at Leeds
I also wanted Benteke that Summer. AVB pulled the plug to sign Soldado instead.

Another I really wanted was Berahino. Looks like a bullet dodged now but I think it would’ve worked out different for him if he’d got that move and worked under Pocheino.

Benteke could have been a great signing for us - who knows? Some players suit some clubs, others don’t. Keane was a legend here, and when he went to Liverpool everyone I know expected him and Torres to be a great pairing. It didn’t work out for some reason . Liverpool also killed the career of Carrol and Ings. Bent, Soldado, Janssen, Rebrov didn’t work out for us.

i really wanted us to sign Benteke when he left Villa, he did ok at Liverpool but fell out with Klopp about his playing time. Not gone well at Palace but i do think he would have been a good signing for us.

i really wanted us to sign Benteke when he left Villa, he did ok at Liverpool but fell out with Klopp about his playing time. Not gone well at Palace but i do think he would have been a good signing for us.

I think a bad injury adversely affected his career.

Back