• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Falling in love again

The trouble is as soon as we go on a good run then all the delusions of grandeur and crazy expectations come flooding back. Then we get smashed by one of the Sky four and it all comes crashing down again.

Top six and a cup final is what I'm hoping for this season but if we do go on a great run and find ourselves even higher up the league I will try not to get carried away. Spurs have kicked me in the goolies too many times.

I want to be convinced.
I want to be convinced that our manager is capable of getting us playing high quality football and improving us year on year.
I want to be convinced that the manager will get the players he wants.
I want to be convinced that our young players will get a chance.
I want to be convinced that our players want to be a success here, not just use us as a stepping stone to a 'bigger club'.
I want to be convinced that we will compete against the top sides.
I want to be convinced that the sacking of Ramsey and Parks isn't a spectacular mistake.
I want to be convinced that Levy knows what he's doing.
I want to be convinced that Baldini knows what he's doing.
I want to be convinced that we have short, medium and long term plans for improvement.
I want to be convinced that the new stadium will be want we want it to be and there will be no more delays.

Great article, the essential point of which is 'it doesn't matter if you win or lose, its how you play the game' - that for me sums up my spurs feelings.

We have always been a team with a bit of flair, with a penchant for the sublime (9-0 against wigan to name but one game) and more often than not the ridiculous (how many times have we lost games having gone 2 or 3 up?!?!).

Sad to say the last two managers didn't really have us playing a way that made me as a fan proud to be a spurs supporter whereas Harry for all his faults did get us playing well, even if we couldn't last a whole season.

i'm not a season ticket holder so haven't handed out a wodge of cash every year to see my beloved spurs, and I can understand why those that have might have felt like last years' goings on was too much and why they would have jacked it in. But honestly deep deep down in each and every tottenham fan should be a love for the club that can withstand the temporary bullsh@t we may see on the playing fields.

i'm with the majority in that I couldn't care less about the pursuit of the top four in the short term - i would rather we built for the long term, developing a team style again, and giving the younger lads a chance, a team that can hold its own over time. I'm hoping Levy gives Poch the time and space to be able to do that. look at Belgium - they dismantled their whole youth approach and its taken some time but it is paying dividends.

FFS our motto was Audere est facere - let's grow some balls as fans and back the lads week in week out, win or lose - we are spurs forever.

I'm sorry but not being bothered about top four, win or lose it doesn't matter so long as we're entertainers is just so defeatist and goes against what our club is truly about.

I want to win the league and all the cups going every season but I know that's not possible. But what I do know is possible, is that we compete to our maximum and leave everything out there on the pitch. To often we have seen capitulation and that's not what we're about.

We must strive to be the best even when up against all the advantages of the richer clubs in today's game. We must stick to the principles laid down by the great man , Bill Nicholson.

"Spurs have got to be the best in
the land, not the second best."

"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

"If you don't win anything, you
have had a bad season."

Not being bothered about losing so long as we've been entertained is not the Spurs way and never should it be.

You know what the thing is about falling in love with a team? With a sport?

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2, a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped and summer was gone....

One pitch, a fly to center, and it stopped. Summer died in New England and like rain sliding off a roof, the crowd slipped out of Fenway, quickly, with only a steady murmur of concern for the drive ahead remaining of the roar. Mutability had turned the seasons and translated hope to memory once again. And, once again, she had used baseball, our best invention to stay change, to bring change on.

That is why it breaks my heart, that game--not because in New York they could win because Boston lost; in that, there is a rough justice, and a reminder to the Yankees of how slight and fragile are the circumstances that exalt one group of human beings over another. It breaks my heart because it was meant to, because it was meant to foster in me again the illusion that there was something abiding, some pattern and some impulse that could come together to make a reality that would resist the corrosion; and because, after it had fostered again that most hungered-for illusion, the game was meant to stop, and betray precisely what it promised.

Of course, there are those who learn after the first few times. They grow out of sports. And there are others who were born with the wisdom to know that nothing lasts. These are the truly tough among us, the ones who can live without illusion, or without even the hope of illusion. I am not that grown-up or up-to-date. I am a simpler creature, tied to more primitive patterns and cycles. I need to think something lasts forever, and it might as well be that state of being that is a game; it might as well be that, in a green field, in the sun.

"The Green Fields of the Mind" by Bart Giamatti, former Commissioner of Major League Baseball

Thank you Doctor, that made me smile and let out a little sort of huffing noise with agreement.

The trouble is as soon as we go on a good run then all the delusions of grandeur and crazy expectations come flooding back. Then we get smashed by one of the Sky four and it all comes crashing down again.

Top six and a cup final is what I'm hoping for this season but if we do go on a great run and find ourselves even higher up the league I will try not to get carried away. Spurs have kicked me in the goolies too many times.

thats part of the romance, support the cup fully, but enough not to be devasted when it all goes squat.

Falling in love again
Never wanted to
What am I to do?
I can't help it

Spurs fan lament. I'm a few thousand miles away, so don't have a ST, but have banged my head against the same wall for many years - it's so nice when you stop for a while, but then your body, mind and soul gets taken over by demons, and you have to start again. I'd settle for that, before I die, they become watchable again, appear like they mean it and win a couple of trophies. Just want my Spurs back.

Yeh im going to be less of a moany biatch and support us this year! I'm so annoyed though I might be missing the Liverpool game as got a stag do that weekend in Brighton, is that our first or 2nd home game?

I went to about 6 or 7 games last year, which is truly shocking!

yeah 2nd. Really looking forward to the QPR home match. With a bit of luck Warrington can get to the RL Final at Wembley the day before to make it a top weekend. Wembley Sat/Lane Sunday, that would be nice.
Get the 1st leg at home in the EL and it might be a case of driving down Thursday afternoon and staying at Enfield until Monday morning.
Proper Bank Holiday weekend...

Back