• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FA Cup or Top 4?

FA Cup OR finishing in the top 4?

• Win FA Cup (and finish outside of top 4)

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Finish in top 4 (and don't win FA Cup)

Votes: 53 85.5%

• Total voters
To answer the original question, I would prefer whichever route the players prefer, if it meant them staying at the club long term to bloody fight for it!!!

If that's a league based trophy but only EL qualification for next few seasons, so be it.
If the players played great football to achieve CL but no trophy, yet signed extensions as they're happy - well then i'm down with that too!

...I love our current crop of players (wipes a nagging tear away thinking about Dembele), the best overall i've seen in my 30 years of supporting Spurs, so i want them to be happy and stay as long as poss fighting for whichever cause they prefer in a sparkly new stadium. The better they play, the more happy I inevitably am going to games.

It should not be an either/or thing at all.
A top 6 club like ourselves needs to be able to aim for all the available trophies; prioritising PL/CL should NOT mean we see FA/League Cups as "only for those who want to massage their egos". The whole quest in sports is for that; the reason fans turn up week in, week out is for that.

It's poor form for Poch to come out with that comment and it actually defies all he's been trying to build within the club since he got here.

We are a top 6 club and as such we should be like the others looking to do our best in all competitions and if we fail in those quest analyse it from a forensic point of view in terms of learning and growing as a squad.
It's no disgrace per say to go out of two cups in four days but to actually state that after nearly 5 years in the job is indeed massive deflection from the fact that when all is said and done he still doesn't have anything tangible to show for all his undoubted good (perhaps not great?) coaching/managerial skills.

Not sure how we are going to showcase our club as one that young ambitious players should sign for after these "Trophies are just for egos" comments..perhaps that's why we are said to be being turned down these days by several of our supposed targets...
You're either on board with the manager or you're not. Simples

If you want a new manager say so.

The question is phrased wrong

- What would suppporters like to have at end of season? obviously a cup, would be great on any number of levels
- What is best for the club right now and our chances of long term success (multiple cups)? the answer is equally obvious, the money and additional exposure associated with CL

I feel so many people are falling for media/internet narratives now

- Oh, we are not supposed to feel happy or enjoy or club because we haven't won anything?
- Yet Liverpool has won exactly the same number of trophies in the last 12 years and finished below us in the league 8 out of last 9 seasons?

I've learned to enjoy the fact that we play the best teams in the world with some regularity, and when we have a fit first 11, we can take them on ...

7 years ago, we would have all laughed at being CL regulars, outplaying Barca at Camp Nou, actually challenging for the title, yet here we are … patience, we will get there ...
100% this.

I was saying to a mate the other day there is a real chance of many Spurs fans just not plain enjoying what and who we are at the moment.

There is so much to like at the moment.

Not living in the moment is a prime first world problem.

Ironically we got two people at our club who allow us to live in the moment because they can be relied upon and trusted. So many clubs don't have that.

Enjoy it while we can.

400% this.

I was saying to a mate the other day there is a real chance of many Spurs fans just not plain enjoying what and who we are at the moment.

There is so much to like at the moment.

Not living in the moment is a prime first world problem.

Ironically we got two people at our club who allow us to live in the moment because they can be relied upon and trusted. So many clubs don't have that.

Enjoy it while we can.

This is certainly true. I'm loving what we are doing at the moment. I love the work Poch has done, I love most of the work Levy has done. I love the upgrades to infrastructure, I love the new stadium and can't wait to get in.

I'm nowhere near as emotionally attached to football as I used to be (a consequence of being older and even your kids growing up) so I don't sit there devastated when we lose and knee jerking all over the place.

I am very much enjoying what is going on at the moment.

However, I don't think that is mutually exclusive to wanting more and expecting a bit more from our squad (and I don't mean just from this last week but in general).

Some fans seem to be under the impression that our progress can basically only be linear, that while we may not be winning trophies now, it is a logical next step in our progression. But...it isn't necessarily. Leverkusen lost 3 trophies in the space of a couple of weeks and have won nothing since. Leeds, Saudi Sportswashing Machine spent a few seasons as CL regulars but have both dropped away. If in 5 years time, regardless of league performance, we still haven't won any trophies with this group of players, I will still look back at this period of time fondly, having loved some of the moments they gave us in the league, in Europe. But, to be completely frank, I will also look back at it with tinges of lost opportunity. Because I think this group of players is/was talented enough to win a trophy and go deep in Europe. Did I love our performance at the camp nou? Yes. You know what would be even better? Reaching the CL semi final, having knocked out Barcelona in a 2 legged tie in the QF (ie Roma). Did I love our league consistency? Yes. Would I have given up 1 or even 2 seasons out of the top 4 to have won 1 or 2 league titles in this 4 year period? Yep I would have done tbh. Etc.

I just hope I don't have to look back with this mixture of pride and happiness, mixed in with tinges of regret.

Last edited:
Very good points @Hootnow particularly about things in football NOT necessarily being linear...we are indeed in a very good place but it could easily go backwards. I mean we obviously need top 4 this season, but who's to say we will get it?
The joys and ups and down of football

Indeed; Forum Police, i think he might be Spurs PR lolz

Yeah so I'm 'Spurs PR' because I believe our manager wants to win every game we play.. He's said as much a number of times hasn't he?

What does it make you when you're constantly looking for negativity in the manager's comments or our current situation? A Gooner WUM?

Did Poch say that building ego was a bad thing? Not sure he did. Can you see why people might think you're twisting words and situations to create a certain feeling amongst impressionable or highly emotional fans?

I enjoy watching Tottenham play. I love watching Poch's team play and I am unbelievably excited by the project he, Levy and the rest of the club are building.

Don't attack me if you can't get behind that.

Very good points @Hootnow particularly about things in football NOT necessarily being linear...we are indeed in a very good place but it could easily go backwards. I mean we obviously need top 4 this season, but who's to say we will get it?
The joys and ups and down of football

I think for me now, the aims of this season:

-Finish in the top 4
-Try to reach at least the QF of the CL (though Dortmund are a level above most teams in the PL and so wouldn't be upset if we got knocked out without Kane, Dele etc
-Get into the new stadium
-Try to give youth a bit more of an opportunity, if possible
-Be working from now to be shifting the likes of GKN, Llorente, Janssen, probably Wanyama unfortunately in the summer early so we can work on good incomings, who have the time to work in Poch's pre-season

Yeah so I'm 'Spurs PR' because I believe our manager wants to win every game we play.. He's said as much a number of times hasn't he?

What does it make you when you're constantly looking for negativity in the manager's comments or our current situation? A Gooner WUM?

Did Poch say that building ego was a bad thing? Not sure he did. Can you see why people might think you're twisting words and situations to create a certain feeling amongst impressionable or highly emotional fans?

I enjoy watching Tottenham play. I love watching Poch's team play and I am unbelievably excited by the project he, Levy and the rest of the club are building.

Don't attack me if you can't get behind that.

Lolz, no you attack any poster that offers any kind of analysis/viewpoint/discussion point re Spurs that is not "everything is awesome".
Yes, forum police.

As i say, put me on ignore if what i ever discuss is too horrendous for you.

I think for me now, the aims of this season:

-Finish in the top 4
-Try to reach at least the QF of the CL (though Dortmund are a level above most teams in the PL and so wouldn't be upset if we got knocked out without Kane, Dele etc
-Get into the new stadium
-Try to give youth a bit more of an opportunity, if possible
-Be working from now to be shifting the likes of GKN, Llorente, Janssen, probably Wanyama unfortunately in the summer early so we can work on good incomings, who have the time to work in Poch's pre-season

Agreed. I think top 4 has to happen AND the squad-adjustments that were necessary last summer MUST happen this one as the longer we leave it, the more expensive it will become.
I think if we get a good buffer to 5th place (and are also out of the title race, realistically) you would imagine the young players that Poch thinks have a future at the club will start to get more minutes in the position the Poch thinks they have most potential in.

Agreed. I think top 4 has to happen AND the squad-adjustments that were necessary last summer MUST happen this one as the longer we leave it, the more expensive it will become.
I think if we get a good buffer to 5th place (and are also out of the title race, realistically) you would imagine the young players that Poch thinks have a future at the club will start to get more minutes in the position the Poch thinks they have most potential in.

One of the issues of not recruiting last summer was meaning we have to do it over a smaller period of time and we saw how bringing 7 players in at once worked, how would bringing 3/4 in work ?

One of the issues of not recruiting last summer was meaning we have to do it over a smaller period of time and we saw how bringing 7 players in at once worked, how would bringing 3/4 in work ?

That is a big issue..oh well... just have sit back with the popcorn and watch and wait (it'll be the summer we bring in player not now imo)

It'll take as long as it takes.. Unless you can predict the future?

Poch has proven multiple times now that new signings will not be introduced into the squad regularly until he's satisfied they know the system and philosophy.

Each player will take a different amount time.. Can't see it being a major problem, given the quality of signing we're now looking for.

Winning a trophy > not winning a trophy, of course, however i think it's in the better interests of the clubs development to not miss out on 70m or whatever of CL money and experience the knock on effect that would come about as a result. I can put up with some lean years if it means we become a club capable of matching the likes of Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool for wages and transfers as that would mean we're a club capable of fighting for all honors, consistently.

Really not that complicated, is it?

When exactly did we hit this 'glass ceiling'?.... I must've missed it?!?
We havent. We do, however, have to pace ourselves. And it seems many fans simply dont have the patience for it.

Back