• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FA Cup or Top 4?

FA Cup OR finishing in the top 4?

• Win FA Cup (and finish outside of top 4)

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Finish in top 4 (and don't win FA Cup)

Votes: 53 85.5%

• Total voters

elltrev

Andy Sinton
I know this is being discussed in other threads, and has probably been polled in the past, but I thought it was worth doing an updated poll on.

As a fan, if you had to choose between winning the FA Cup OR finishing in the top 4 this season, which would you choose?

N.B. For the purposes of this poll this is a hypothetical straight choice between the two, for clarity. No doubt we can have some more nuanced discussion below.

Would probably be finishing in the top 4 this season unfortunately. It is vital that we are playing CL football in the new stadium next season, even if we don't necessarily go that deep in the competition.

Generally though, I don't like how some Spurs fans make it out to be an either/or situation.

CivMDXUWgAAIuN9.jpg

or

maxresdefault.jpg

The game is about the glory. The 4th placed cup was Wenger's bag

I actually find more glory in watching my team beat the likes of Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund, and go toe to toe with the likes of Barcelona and Juventus, than in beating Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project (again) in an arbitrarily different format to the PL. Appreciate that I might be in the minority, but I think it's valid to find it far more glorious. Not to mention the fact that finishing above a competitor in the league is a far more accurate mark of quality than finishing above them in a cup (IMO) - again, more glory.

Bean counters versus idealists? Maybe

Have been a business owner with properties to maintain and staff to pay, bean counting was a way of life.

Our true long lasting glory will be sitting back and seeing us playing in a state of the are stadium and moving forward as a club

No Russian oligarchs for us, no American hedge funds or Arab oil kingdoms ploughing billions of petrodollars into our coffers. No, we have and against all odds done it through astute management of the pitch and through good hard work on the pitch.

Tough but we used to be the cup kings and I miss the trophy.

Perhaps rephrase the question to winning both fa and league cup and finishing out of top 4.

Think of the legacy Poch leaves and how his tenure will be remembered.
Ok we competed and regularly beat the top sides but did his team win a trophy or two.

Obviously I’m hoping he stays with us for a long time.

Tough but we used to be the cup kings and I miss the trophy.

Perhaps rephrase the question to winning both fa and league cup and finishing out of top 4.

Think of the legacy Poch leaves and how his tenure will be remembered.
Ok we competed and regularly beat the top sides but did his team win a trophy or two.

Obviously I’m hoping he stays with us for a long time.
If Poch doesn’t win a pot I still think his legacy would be stronger than Ramos’. The longer Poch stays the more likely we are going to be to beat the top sides en route to winning a cup, perhaps with a slightly deeper squad due to the CL money and new stadium income and the little bit of good fortune you need.

We’re really not that far away from doing it, we were two penalties away from getting to a final a week ago without 3 of our best players.

If Poch doesn’t win a pot I still think his legacy would be stronger than Ramos’. The longer Poch stays the more likely we are going to be to beat the top sides en route to winning a cup, perhaps with a slightly deeper squad due to the CL money and new stadium income and the little bit of good fortune you need.

We’re really not that far away from doing it, we were two penalties away from getting to a final a week ago without 3 of our best players.

When Ramos left we got 'Arry. The legendary (in his own mind) manager of journeyman players and middling to lower teams.

When Poch leaves we will be in a place to legitimately be looking at the best managerial talent available.

Ultimately, thats the difference in the "legacy" of either, IMO.

How did Ramos ‘improve’ the club?
He won a cup.

FA Cup, all day and every day.

It has been over ten years since we last won trophy, and this is the first time since the 1920's (I think) that we will have gone an entire decade without winning anything.

It's hard to describe how much of a depressing failure that is for a club that was once about glory. To realize we're running a cheap version of Wenger's Top Four Trophy with zero spend model ...

...well, it's just depressing. To be Spurs should be about more than making the utterly, utterly useless billionaire who owns our club his 1000% profit when he sells up and f*cks off. These trophies, these memories...these are the things you'll tell your grandkids in 50 years or more.

'Thst time we had a 40% wages-to-turnover ratio', or 'That time we beat Real Madrid and then immediately went out in the first knockout round'....these are worthless by comparison.

FA Cup, all day and every day.

It has been over ten years since we last won trophy, and this is the first time since the 1920's (I think) that we will have gone an entire decade without winning anything.

It's hard to describe how much of a depressing failure that is for a club that was once about glory. To realize we're running a cheap version of Wenger's Top Four Trophy with zero spend model ...

...well, it's just depressing. To be Spurs should be about more than making the utterly, utterly useless billionaire who owns our club his 1000% profit when he sells up and f*cks off. These trophies, these memories...these are the things you'll tell your grandkids in 50 years or more.

'Thst time we had a 40% wages-to-turnover ratio', or 'That time we beat Real Madrid and then immediately went out in the first knockout round'....these are worthless by comparison.

I feel for you. Personally, there is nothing depressing about supporting Spurs right now. I am thoroughly enjoying what we are doing as a club and as a team.
There are disappointments, of course.
But “depressing” is reserved for days gone by.

Back