• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FA Considering Selling Wembley

The danger is if things go wrong further down the line and new owners start putting their own needs ahead of those of the FA for major football events. Then we could have a problem because as Poch says, Wembley is synonymous worldwide with football, the national side and major finals.

They wouldn’t be buying it if they weren’t going to put their needs first, I’m sure the FA will contract in a minimum number of matches to start with. There will always be an option for the FA, there will
be at least three other comparable stadiums within a few miles, is Wembley really any more synonymous than Old Trafford or anfield? If a contest “needs” Wembley then it already has a problem.

They wouldn’t be buying it if they weren’t going to put their needs first, I’m sure the FA will contract in a minimum number of matches to start with. There will always be an option for the FA, there will
be at least three other comparable stadiums within a few miles, is Wembley really any more synonymous than Old Trafford or anfield? If a contest “needs” Wembley then it already has a problem.
Could just as easily be described as "Irrelevant organisation considers selling irrelevant asset."

The danger is if things go wrong further down the line and new owners start putting their own needs ahead of those of the FA for major football events. Then we could have a problem because as Poch says, Wembley is synonymous worldwide with football, the national side and major finals.

Unlikely that much can go wrong for the FA, but there's more risk for the Football League. There are only 10-11 actual FA events at Wembley each year.

There's a constant call for the FA Cup semis to go back to neutral grounds, say half of Internationals are rotated around the country, there's a non league football day for the FA Vase and Trophy which is loss making, and I expect the Community Shield to be sold around the world.

That could only leave the FA Cup final and 3-4 Internationals at Wembley each year.

There is more competition than even between stadiums and arenas to hold major events. So new owners would want those prestigious games from the FA.

Selling Wembley is a reasonably good idea.

However this goes to the heart of the problem. When the current Chief Exec restructured it appeared that a £10m offer for the first option to buy wasn't finalised. Fast forward two years and now they're considering what seems like a low-ball offer.

Exclusive: FA agreed secret deal to give Shahid Khan preferential option to buy Wembley in 2015
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...eal-give-shahid-khan-preferential-option-buy/

Unlikely that much can go wrong for the FA, but there's more risk for the Football League. There are only 10-11 actual FA events at Wembley each year.

There's a constant call for the FA Cup semis to go back to neutral grounds, say half of Internationals are rotated around the country, there's a non league football day for the FA Vase and Trophy which is loss making, and I expect the Community Shield to be sold around the world.

That could only leave the FA Cup final and 3-4 Internationals at Wembley each year.

There is more competition than even between stadiums and arenas to hold major events. So new owners would want those prestigious games from the FA.

I’ve been to a few of those, my “family team” is Exeter City, it would make more sense for them to be in smaller grounds as they don’t get anywhere near capacity.

You have been to Cuba and seen the way grass roots talent is developed with very limited resources? The reason I mentioned Ballet is you can't become a lead dancer at the worlds elite Ballet companies dancing on the streets. There is a huge amount of 'coaching' and training involved at a grass roots level to produce these one-off stars. Most nations with a similar population to Cuba don't have as many elite sports people appearing every year. The way you almost arogently dismiss any lesson that could be learnt is symptomatic of a bloated, entitled FA that thinks the answers are to be found in throwing cash at the problem in the short term, rather than innovating. Harsh but probably true. You will have a greater insight than I.

Disposing of the stadium is not leaner, its a poorer FA long term. Why can't the FA organise concerts FFS? The money is going back into grass roots after all. How can Levy do it with WHL, or the arse with the vacuous emerites?

You're clearly loyal to the FA having worked there, and I respect that. There are many many many worse associations! Maybe you could estimate the revenue generated by Wembley per year, and calculate how many years a 600m buy out would take to 'break even'. For example, Wembley this season might have revenue of £50m from NFL, £50m from Spurs, £50m from Internationals, £50m from concerts. The operating costs took 50%, so it generated £100m profit say. That would mean after 6 years the FA would be down on this deal. Now maybe Wembley is run badly, the operating costs are not sufficiently controlled, and they are not attracting enough concerts etc. A true private company would deal with that, and generate profit, why can't the FA?

If the FA is a private limited company it suggests that a few individuals will probably walk away from a £600m windfall with a nice little nest egg for themselves. The premise of 'grass roots' investment is therefore a sham. Going through the motions. I'd suggest you do look at a country like Cuba who have simple but effective grass roots facilities and do it with passion and no money!

I agree its not the FA's job to invest in sport Government needs to be involved, but the FA are trying to justify selling off a nation's asset with 'grass roots investment'.

Funny thing is that I'm not really "loyal to The FA" having worked there. Many aspects of the organisation are as as poor as any other that I've worked for, but it just gets more media attention. I saw a few regimes come and go, and wouldn't rate the current one very highly.

The FAs shareholders are actually the County Football Associations, and the board is predominently made up of professional and amateur football representatives. So the money won't be going to individuals.

I don't disregard anything, but I do question how relevant the Cuba example is. Nobody can seriously question the principal that talented individuals benefit from a high amount of time exposed to high quality coaching from a young age.

My question of relevance is whether it's practical to pull examples from somewhere so culturally different, and from sports that are so technically different. That's for the sport scientists to develop future concepts (which happens), not for the FA hierarchy who need to make decisions based on current thinking (which we're already behind in many ways).

*my only knowledge of Cuban sport comes from early mornings in the 90s watching Transworldsport on C4.

I'm quite shocked how desensitised people have become to extreme neo-liberalism.

This is Americans trying to buy Wembley. Think about that for a moment. A national monument. The most famous stadium in the world (perhaps alongside the Maracana). Something that was the sacrosanct hallowed turf for every schoolboy.

To me its as ridiculous as BP trying to buy the White House to put a nodding donkey on the lawn

Funny thing is that I'm not really "loyal to The FA" having worked there. Many aspects of the organisation are as as poor as any other that I've worked for, but it just gets more media attention. I saw a few regimes come and go, and wouldn't rate the current one very highly.

The FAs shareholders are actually the County Football Associations, and the board is predominently made up of professional and amateur football representatives. So the money won't be going to individuals.

I don't disregard anything, but I do question how relevant the Cuba example is. Nobody can seriously question the principal that talented individuals benefit from a high amount of time exposed to high quality coaching from a young age.

My question of relevance is whether it's practical to pull examples from somewhere so culturally different, and from sports that are so technically different. That's for the sport scientists to develop future concepts (which happens), not for the FA hierarchy who need to make decisions based on current thinking (which we're already behind in many ways).

*my only knowledge of Cuban sport comes from early mornings in the 90s watching Transworldsport on C4.

Makes you an expert in my eyes, there are two kinds of people, those of us who understand the rules of Kabaddi and those who don’t.

I'm quite shocked how desensitised people have become to extreme neo-liberalism.

This is Americans trying to buy Wembley. Think about that for a moment. A national monument. The most famous stadium in the world (perhaps alongside the Maracana). Something that was the sacrosanct hallowed turf for every schoolboy.

To me its as ridiculous as BP trying to buy the White House to put a nodding donkey on the lawn

Nah, it’s a ten year old boiler plate design stadium. It’s a very functional arena, one I’ve enjoyed visiting regularly, it doesn’t matter a jot to me who actually owns it though.

Americans bought Old Trafford and anfield years ago, has their reputation diminished because of this?

Nah, it’s a ten year old boiler plate design stadium. It’s a very functional arena, one I’ve enjoyed visiting regularly, it doesn’t matter a jot to me who actually owns it though.

Americans bought Old Trafford and anfield years ago, has their reputation diminished because of this?

The stadium itself is crap - absolutely. The old one was, and the new one is. The Millennium Stadium is far superior as a stadium.

But its about the emotion and sentiment. It's the home of football - the place we've 6 FA cups and a world cup. The place every kid pretended their playground was.

The stadium itself is crap - absolutely. The old one was, and the new one is. The Millennium Stadium is far superior as a stadium.

But its about the emotion and sentiment. It's the home of football - the place we've 6 FA cups and a world cup. The place every kid pretended their playground was.

It’s still going to be there, they are not shipping it to Disney World, there will be no noticeable difference to the players or the customers.

Maybe we can pull off the old London Bridge trick, and they'd end up with the 'London Stadium'.

It’s still going to be there, they are not shipping it to Disney World, there will be no noticeable difference to the players or the customers.

completely agree. i think the debate should centre around whether this is actually a good deal financially. theres no need for a brexit-like "take back our boarders " type of argument. wembley will always be there and available for football. kids will still be able to grow up dreaming of scoring fa cup final goals, and it can still be the home of english football.

on the face of it, it doesnt seem to be a great deal financially though. but i would hope the guys at the fa know a bit more/what they are doing.

completely agree. i think the debate should centre around whether this is actually a good deal financially. theres no need for a brexit-like "take back our boarders " type of argument. wembley will always be there and available for football. kids will still be able to grow up dreaming of scoring fa cup final goals, and it can still be the home of english football.

on the face of it, it doesnt seem to be a great deal financially though. but i would hope the guys at the fa know a bit more/what they are doing.

That is where you are going wrong.

They are just thinking about meeting targets for bonuses and setting up their pension funds.

No but they still play football there and if the owners decide to sell they will still play football there.

Wembley is a country owned asset that they are selling for a one of fee which will no doubt get wasted.

With it, and its tenant team, being moved to somewhere in Arizona? Great plan.

Bisbee? Juarez? The ghost town of Hachita? Maybe 'ride into Durango and climb up the phworehouse stairs'?

Can you be more specific? Please use these toe-tappin' musical reference tools if necessary:

Last edited:
No but they still play football there and if the owners decide to sell they will still play football there.

Wembley is a country owned asset that they are selling for a one of fee which will no doubt get wasted.

But it's not now, and it wasn't before or after the FA bought the old Wembley to redevelop.

In 1999 it was The FA who fought off a bid by the US company which later became LiveNation. The land surrounding the stadium, including the Arena, is already owned by a US hedge fund. Perhaps The FA were just delaying the inevitable.

They have apparently taken professional advice on the valuation for a sale, but I wonder whether they have looked at keeping the freehold and selling the leasehold.

A professional operator like AEG or SMG would bring the shared resources and links to promotors to keep bringing in more events. It would also free the FA of their Club Wembley obligations and move games around the country.

So Khan has now said Chelsea are welcome to use Wembley and they are a ‘great’ club that they have a long standing relationship with!!!!

Back