• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

F.A statement on the word "yid"

Has the time come for us stop chanting the Y-word?

• Yes

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • No

Votes: 101 91.0%

• Total voters
Can someone please explain why the Football Association thinks it has the authority and expertise to determine what is and isn't offensive?

Seems to me as if the FA's new chairman is an attention seeking **** who's going to frequently be spouting ******** in the media instead of actually doing his job.

If we want to get in to the semantics of language, we need to look at the concept of offence. English describes it perfectly, offence is 'taken' and not 'given', the focus is therefore on the offended rather than the offender.

The idea of laws making offence illegal is preposterous.

It's pathetic from the FA. They are doing this as a PR exercise to show themselves taking a stance against racism, but obviously nothing will change. As others have said, they are much bigger fishes to fry when it comes to football chanting

Solid post and I agree with you.

I think we all agree though that some things that are offensive are inappropriate to the point that they shouldn't be chanted at a football ground. Being offensive doesn't automatically make something inappropriate in a setting though.

I think your last sentence is important to why so many people feel anger towards the FA and others that raise this issue. As seen in this thread I think a lot of Spurs fans accept that this is within a grey area where there are lines that shouldn't be crossed and a need for knowledge and understanding as pointed out by the trust. Had this issue been raised at a point after the bigger fish had been fried with an understanding that there is a need to be reflected about what's going on then that would have at least seemed somewhat fair.

Its so simple.

1. You can't get rid of words. You couldn't ban 'Goon', 'Gooner' or any other word that people use. The idea that you might be able to is crazy.

2. 'Yid' as a term has not had much of a racial connotation for at least a couple decades. When this last came up on here, posters - loyal Spurs fans - were saying they hadn't even known about the origins of the term. So Yid was evolving to become little different to Goon or Gooner (and should you look up its origins as a fan you'd probably be proud to see it came about by fans standing up to racism).

Yid was losing its racial associations, until ****wits like the FA and others 'commentators' aka ****wits, decided that they might be able to change peoples use of language. But by making a big thing out of it, all these idiots have done, is heighten the racial meaning and achieve the opposite effect. Spurs fans don't carry this racial history in the term themselves, or didn't until recently. All it does is open up potential for more racism from opposing fans - as seen with the Lazio neonazis and the proceeding society of black lawyers publicity. They should know better. Shame on them.

Last edited:
Someone with some time on their hands should write an open letter or issue legal proceeding against the FA and Society of BL for inciting racial hatred. :)

Public Order Act 1986

"inciting inflammatory rumours about an individual or an ethnic group, for the purpose of spreading racial discontent."

While they are not trying to spread racial discontent, their complete lack of understanding regarding how language evolves, means that the only outcome of these 'do gooders' publicity is to inflame racial issues among fans, that was not there previously.

Last edited:
Tottenham Hotspur supporters are on a collision course with the Football Association after defying a warning not to chant ‘Yid’ during Saturday’s 2-0 victory over Norwich City at White Hart Lane.

Sections of the stadium took little more than three minutes to sing “Yid Army” and “We’re Tottenham Hotspur, we’ll sing what we want”. They also chanted “Yiddo” when star debutant Christian Eriksen was substituted during the second half. The singing came on Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish calendar.

The FA issued guidelines for supporters’ behaviour last week in which it said the use of the word was “derogatory and offensive” and could amount to a criminal offence, even if it was being sung by supporters of Tottenham, who traditionally drew a large following from the Jewish community.

An FA spokesman on Saturday night confirmed its position, saying last week’s statement simply reiterated FA policy. It has been suggested that supporters could face prosecution for chanting “Yid”.

The FA’s position has drawn an angry response from the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust, which represents more than 5,000 fans and is regularly consulted by the club on a range of supporter-related issues.

A Trust statement, issued in response to the FA’s warning, read: “THSF is categorically against ejections and banning orders for use of the term by Tottenham supporters in a match environment.

“Our view has always been that should Spurs’ fans’ use of the Yid identity come to an end, this should be as a result of the feeling among the Spurs community that it was time to move on.

"This issue has always been of the utmost importance to us and while we recognise that Spurs fans use of the Y-word and associated identity may have caused some upset to members of the Jewish community, we sincerely believe no Spurs fan uses the term in a malicious way.”

The Trust says it will seek advice from the Football Supporters’ Federation and the legal profession over its next move. The FA took no action against West Ham United last season following anti-semitic chanting from some of the West Ham supporters at White Hart Lane.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10309938/Tottenham-Hotspur-supporters-on-collision-course-with-FA-over-Yid-chant-ban-during-defeat-of-Norwich-City.html

Christian is a Yiddo? :-k There's context right there for you :D

Why shouldn't Christian be a Yiddo?

Jermain Defoe, a born-again Christian, is a Yiddo.

As are the numerous Muslim players who have appeared for Spurs over the years.

Not that I would expect the Football Association to understand this for an instant.

Why shouldn't Christian be a Yiddo?

Jermain Defoe, a born-again Christian, is a Yiddo.

As are the numerous Muslim players who have appeared for Spurs over the years.

Not that I would expect the Football Association to understand this for an instant.

Errr... I think you are confirming my point (about the word in context for Tottenham)

Sky Sports Football @SkyFootball

#Tottenham are planning to ask their fans if they think the time has come to stop chanting the Y-word.

Sky Sports Football @SkyFootball

#Tottenham are planning to ask their fans if they think the time has come to stop chanting the Y-word.

I'm no mystic meg, but I think I know what the answer will be...

I think the latest statement from the FA has further polarized views on this.

Back