• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

F.A statement on the word "yid"

Has the time come for us stop chanting the Y-word?

• Yes

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • No

Votes: 101 91.0%

• Total voters
Why raise this issue now once the season has started? Seem to recall this matter being raised at the start of last season. It was looked into then and decided by Metpol/attorney general that it was not offensive in legal terms,much to the chagrin of that **** from the Society of Black Lawyers. Non story raised again at the start of another season hoping to de-stabilise our unity. Why are they not demanding action against those opposition supporters who use the YID word in an offensive context? Surely that would be a logical response to an illegal action. Oh no Chelsea and West Ham... the media favourites.

This is mainly down to the likes of David Baddiel. A man who is ****ed off with the racist, anti-semitic, foul-mouthed scum that attend Stamford Bridge, but who would rather point the finger at Spurs than criticise his own club.

I love how everyone who criticises us for using the term "yid" assumes we are making it worse by singing it and all the other London clubs will just magically stop saying it to us if we stop. That's the answer, we stop saying it, Chelscum, West Ham and scum stop singing it, simple as that. Reminds me of the idiotic arguement that legalising drugs would root out all of the world's drugs dealers. Yeah like the Mexican/Colombian drug cartels would go legit overnight just because drugs would be legal.

you have a very good point...!

I still don't like the slander against us.....generally if I meet another person who refers to me as a yid because i'm spurs fan......I just throw it straight back in there face
and call them a yid. As I am not jewish anyway...err they do not like being called a yid? but they have jewish fans..most clubs do!

The problem with Baddiel is his credibility.

How can you rant on about this issue being disgusting, racist, and offensive, and yet still continue too sit among the worst perpetrators at Stamford Bridge.

His love of Chelsea is greater and of more importance to him than his religion. That is the only conclusion you can draw

This, a Jew in name but not in practice.

The term in context has no connection to Israel or Jews as far as I'm concerned and to be honest - I'd rather we had no links to particular countries or religions.

It might be charming for Jewish Spurs fans that there is an apparent affiliation (and the reason the majority are pro it) but I prefer that we steer clear of that.

Allegiances to clubs shouldn't come from religion or nationality IMO - particularly those countries/religions who divide opinion.

Yid to a lot of Spurs fans is a word - it does not mean we are Jewish and it is not about 'reclaiming' the word following prejudice. It's a word that is used as an identifier - as much as 'Spurs' is IMO

If we are to move forward and still use the term then we need to rip it away from any affiliation to the origins of the word - and that is where it is particularly tricky.

The term in context has no connection to Israel or Jews as far as I'm concerned and to be honest - I'd rather we had no links to particular countries or religions.

It might be charming for Jewish Spurs fans that there is an apparent affiliation (and the reason the majority are pro it) but I prefer that we steer clear of that.

Allegiances to clubs shouldn't come from religion or nationality IMO - particularly those countries/religions who divide opinion.

Yid to a lot of Spurs fans is a word - it does not mean we are Jewish and it is not about 'reclaiming' the word following prejudice. It's a word that is used as an identifier - as much as 'Spurs' is IMO

If we are to move forward and still use the term then we need to rip it away from any affiliation to the origins of the word - and that is where it is particularly tricky.

But the word Yid it will always have a connection with the Jewish Community and therefore Israel, I'd suggest that if you don't like that aspect , then you simply choose not to use the word. It is what it is and no amount of 'ripping it away from the affiliation to the origins of the word'( whatever that means) is going to make jot of difference.

I agree.

I think that unfortunately, people have got so entrenched in their positions that having a rational conversation on this subject is virtually impossible.

But the word Yid it will always have a connection with the Jewish Community and therefore Israel, I'd suggest that if you don't like that aspect , then you simply choose not to use the word. It is what it is and no amount of 'ripping it away from the affiliation to the origins of the word'( whatever that means) is going to make jot of difference.

I don't and do not, my main reason is in case it offends Jewish people.

Haven't listened to talk****e for years, but he seems to have got Baddiel to admit the prob is Chelsea and other fans being abusive and not Spurs fans who are not being offensive.

Details?

Hate for Durham or Baddiel? I need a drink.

Im guessing someone with links to Turkey might not like to hear the word yid, we have an increasing number of foreign fans some of whom might be muslim and would not like to hear the word yid. Of course we should bow down to them and do what they want because that is what it means to be english. To give up all your traditions.

From what I understand, Ajax have tried to persuade their fans over the years to drop the Jewish image that they as a club have. Does anyone think that Spurs will eventually go down this road as the pressure will mount and mount over the years or will they hold firm and support our fans' rights to sing certain songs?

Depends on the public opinion I expect, they'll take the path of least resistance, so far the police have said no crime is being committed so why **** off the fan base.

If there was a threat of prosecution it would go the same was as the judas chants.

Im guessing someone with links to Turkey might not like to hear the word yid, we have an increasing number of foreign fans some of whom might be muslim and would not like to hear the word yid. Of course we should bow down to them and do what they want because that is what it means to be english. To give up all your traditions.

Ben :D

No - nothing to do with being English and bowing down to anyone.

Tottenham FC is it's own identity - if we had to have any sort of identity then it is to be the only North London club and the one who wanted beautiful footie. We broke barriers with players like Ardiles and Villa so no need to build new walls linked to other politcal thinking.

I love my team because it is Tottenham - I identifiy with it because I was born and brought up in North London. I love blue and white and I hate red and white (in a club context ;) )

Just another small part of football may die for me if we as Spurs supporters will stop using the word 'Yid'. Not just because I'm Jewish (and I'm not ashamed to say that this word was one of the reasons I started following the club as a kid), but also because it distinguished us from the rest, it is a massive part of our identity. Now I guess we might as well be refered to as "customers" from the premier league or the club.

What we need is a supportive legal unit, a society perhaps, to advise us on the ins and outs of where our chanting may be deemed offensive.

In in the interest of equality I would prefer this society to be made up of entirely Afro-Caribbean descendants.

Can someone please explain why the Football Association thinks it has the authority and expertise to determine what is and isn't offensive?

Back