1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

F.A statement on the word "yid"

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by djp82, 11 Sep 2013.

?

Has the time come for us stop chanting the Y-word?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. No

100 vote(s)
    90.9%
  1. Jon

Jon Young-Pyo Lee

Sweet, so I did get it from somewhere then! Phew! I’m alearning as I go, guys and gals.

2. Jon

Jon Young-Pyo Lee

Apologies for butting in, but I’d rather we didn’t get involved in that either!
    Trying to watch the football here; can’t we leave the various groups out of it altogether?

3. Jon

Jon Young-Pyo Lee

I think we all agree the aforementioned are just massive massive bell ends.

Yermiyahu likes this.
  4. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Pascal Chimbonda

/thread.

Jon likes this.
  5. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Johnny Morrison

/thread too, but have to reply first.

Spurs fans are not 'camping it up' - acting jewish or whatever the analogy would be. And I am pretty sure gay people would welcome solidarity and support from straight people in the face of bigots homophobic chants, condemning them for their sexuality. But for me now, yid is all about being a loyal Spurs supporter. I hope this recent pc stuff doesn't change that and turn back the clock to a more racalised term. Words evolve and change meaning. That's part of their fascination. With regard to having pride in spurs anti-racism, this letter to DB shows there is value to some jews in Spurs support:

Dear David,
    Here we are again. The Y word. Or to refer to its real name, The C Word. Because as you and I both know this little problem is not about Spurs fans using the word Yid in a positive or negative manner. It’s about feeling uncomfortable at Chelsea games.

I can appreciate where you are coming from. As a Jewish Tottenham fan myself, going to Stamford Bridge is an incredibly difficult day out for me. I’m 37 and I look like a typical NW London Jew. You and I would pick each other out as Jews from 100 yards at any holiday destination on Earth. I even have a brilliant Jewish hooter to top off the look. I am what I am. Getting off the tube at Fulham Broadway though, I might as well have that yellow star sewn to my coat, because you are quite right this is not what football is about. It’s a quite vile experience and as a father of two boys, one that I won’t be putting them through until they are a lot older, if at all. To be honest though, this is your problem and not mine. We turned an insult into a positive. All on our own. The gay community did it with the word ‘queer’. It’s quite clever really. Quite why you suggest that those who turned the insult into a term of fraternity should lead the way, so those that use it as a racial insult can be told not to use it, is quite frankly illogical.

Chelsea, West Ham, Leeds. These are the three places where I have heard the gassing noises and felt that pang of nausea in my stomach. A pang you describe and which I’m sure you feel somewhat ashamed about. Be that as it may, Tottenham on a match day is probably the safest environment in England for a Jewish person. Isn’t that lovely? My family have 4 tickets and we are reform Jews. However I often give any spares to two ultra orthodox Spurs fans. They both wear kippot and one of them looks like every rabbi you’ve ever seen in your haggadah. They get cheered through the streets of Tottenham. They love it! People smile at them, chant ‘Yiddo’ at them and they wear their spurs shirts and their tzitzit with pride. How wonderful is that? In an era where there is so much bitterness and negativity, these two fellas can enjoy their football and their religion and feel totally safe. Thirty years ago that might have not been the case as the bananas hailed down on black wingers and coins were thrown at Jews to see if they would pick them up.

David, I am a huge fan of your work, but in this you are so wide of the mark that I find your view offensive. I find what you are trying to do, actually borderline anti-semetic. Don’t hide away the victims and shut them up because it makes your match day experience difficult. This is Chelsea’s problem. This is West Ham’s problem. This is Leeds United’s problem.

In Germany in 1933, SS men stood outside Jewish shops to deter anyone from entering. In 1934, buses, trains and park benches had seats marked out for us to sit on and our children were taught specifically anti-semetic ideas. In 1935 the Nuremberg Law was passed and Jews lost their rights to be German citizens and marriage between Jews and non-Jews became illegal. You know how this story ends.

In 2013 Jews and non Jews in a small corner of London, are united. Please please please, don’t f**k that up.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2019
  6. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Roman Pavlyuchenko

Exactly so when it was used as an insult this was a great way (at the time words had less sensensitvity ) to show that and it evolved to represent all the special things that we are proud as a club it no longer only represents the Jewish slur.

nayenezgani likes this.
  7. Jon

Jon Young-Pyo Lee

I think you’re right to point out that times are different now though (“a time when words had less sensitivity”) and the world has moved on somewhat.
    It would be good to start to differentiate it from football again ideally. As a nickname, ‘Spurs’ is a bloody good one we can all get behind.

8. r-u-s-x

And if we started this now it would be a big no no, the word yid has an alternate meaning now (for over 40 years), words evolve Yid has changed or at least has an alternative meaning

It is quite important as if our using yid is racist this would also imply its always been racist / offensive and I don't believe this to be the case and if it wasn't then its certainly not now when the link with the Jewish meaning is now less prominent.

9. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Andy Thompson

We are up there as one of the most disliked clubs in England, definitley below United, Liverpool, Chelsea and probs Arse and Chelsea but still up there. Genuine question, does a lot of the hatred stem from the club's Jewish connections/fanbase?

10. Yermiyahu

Yermiyahu Bobby Mimms

I think that there is a definite element of Jew hatred from some other clubs and as I'm Jewish and went to my first game in 1972 I have certainly witnessed it first hand.
    However apart from a small amount of Neo Nazis at clubs like Chelsea I think the bulk of fans that sing songs about Auschwitz etc are just simple minded morons. I'm not easily offended and my response to Nazi salutes etc back in the day was to get well stuck in wherever possible rather than filing reports with the board of Deputies etc. I always found the crack of a facists head hitting the concrete a highly satisfying sound. I do remember on one occasion we were going to an away match, I think in the 80s and some clown got off the train and spray painted BNP Yids on the station wall. Baddiel would have had a field day with that one.

mephitis, Mikey10, parklane1 and 2 others like this.
  11. scaramanga

scaramanga David Ginola Staff Member

Yermiyahu likes this.
  12. r-u-s-x

No - although its not allowed to be mentioned we are successful over a long period of time so a lot of hatred comes form that (look at the names you have mentioned which is also true) added to this when we were mid-table we were still a big fish and acted that way around our "rivals" at that time. The jewish connections are a stick to beat us with not the cause of the hatred, very few people I have never met someone who actually hates jews but have met loads who would use it as an insult (banter).

SpurMeUp likes this.
  13. Jon

Jon Young-Pyo Lee

scaramanga likes this.
  14. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Steve Carr

15. scaramanga

scaramanga David Ginola Staff Member

Blaming us, I suspect.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  16. Jordinho

Jordinho Clive Allen Staff Member

17. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Mitchell Thomas

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  18. Jon

Jon Young-Pyo Lee

Not sure his on pitch position really makes a difference.

Although, clearly he favours himself as an old style 1940’s Right Winger.

Boom tish.

Mikey10, MKSpur and Glenda's Legs like this.
  19. Yermiyahu

Yermiyahu Bobby Mimms

Yawn. This is all getting so boring now and the Baddiel brothers are just complete clams.

MKSpur and nayenezgani like this.
  20. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Mitchell Thomas

Well, we made it onto BBC London News this evening. “Tottenham Hotspur not doing enough to stamp out rascist chanting” or words to that effect with a shot of last night’s crowd singing “yiddo, yiddo” after Kane scored, as proof.
    With airtime for Ivor Baddiel opposite Mike Leigh (Spurs Show) in the studio.
    So once again, it’s all down to us.
    I thought Leigh’s defence was quite weak and he totally missed the opportunity to call out the specific abuse by other fans. Because of course Baddiel didn’t want to make it about Chelsea.

21. MKSpur

MKSpur Kasey Keller

I suppose any racist abuse Son gets is the fault of our crowd bringing Korean flags too.