• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

I'll tell you what will happen now. UEFA will take legal action against those 3 clubs that have not formally withdrawn from the ESL. Uefa will lose that, and it's those 3 clubs that will be paid compensation from Uefa for wrongfully taking legal actions against them.

I'll tell you what will happen now. UEFA will take legal action against those 3 clubs that have not formally withdrawn from the ESL. Uefa will lose that, and it's those 3 clubs that will be paid compensation from Uefa for wrongfully taking legal actions against them.

It's already in court. They had a case in madrid. The court said the clubs were in their rights to form their own competition. It's only a temporary ruling though and uefa can put their side across.

Oh the Glazers have announced that they will cover the €20m odd punishment by uefa. Jolly nice of them, the club being a plc and all that. Don't worry we'll get the bill. Sorry. Never knew they were so generous.

1 brazillian percent uefa paid off the big 6 owners to pull out. Probably a nice chunk of change too.

Perez and co have been shafted. Probably looking at being banned from europe for the next season or two.

Probably meaning spain and italy coefficients drop as do the teams. All in time for the new cl format, which has 2 extra places. For teams that didn't qualify but have high coefficients. Wonder which country those 2 teams will come from?

Pure genius. Has to be levy. I remember his deal for defoe to toronto. We got a fee, maple leaf sports sold our shirts all across canada, it helped with nfl expertise in designing our stadium and securing a deal in hosting them. The guy works on multiple levels.

Last edited:
zero chance of Madrid, Barca and Juve being thrown out of UEFA competitions imo, thats three of the biggest draws

For a season? Not that big of a deal. Considering the esl would have broken uefa and cost them billions.

It would probably pass in the courts aswell. Uefa told them that they can't be in both competitions and asked them to withdraw. They even gave them a date to pull out by. Which they missed. So uefa will simply not enter them into the cl next season.

For a season? Not that big of a deal. Considering the esl would have broken uefa and cost them billions.

It would probably pass in the courts aswell. Uefa told them that they can't be in both competitions and asked them to withdraw. They even gave them a date to pull out by. Which they missed. So uefa will simply not enter them into the cl next season.

absolutely can't see it, the logic from UEFA would be wooly, also, don't forget that even City's ban wasn't held despite it being proven that they broke UEFA rules, and now they are in a final being billed as the saviours of football

Until those three clubs go to the court of arbitration for sport and get their ban overturned. We've only recently just witnessed how much of a lame duck UEFA is when it comes to bans, it feels like the precedent has been set now.

It will never pass any court, effectively the PL & UEFA are trying to make rules that say

- To do business with me, you a private company can not do business with anyone else I don't approve of or outside of my business model.

That is a red flag for business practice.

I suspect the English clubs as other have said have either been paid off (given incentive) or are waiting for the European clubs to destroy this in court.

It will never pass any court, effectively the PL & UEFA are trying to make rules that say

- To do business with me, you a private company can not do business with anyone else I don't approve of or outside of my business model.

That is a red flag for business practice.

I suspect the English clubs as other have said have either been paid off (given incentive) or are waiting for the European clubs to destroy this in court.

I'm not sure anti-trust rules apply in this type of set-up, which is essentially a members association, where the members (clubs) have signed up to certain rules (in this case via their respective FAs or leagues). There may be other reasons why it wouldn't stand up in court, but I don't think it would be on those grounds.

There were rumours going around of some kind of pay-off. I'm not so sure UEFA would be that crude about it, but it's certainly likely there was some incentive, as you say - maybe around lower fines or some such thing.

I'm not sure anti-trust rules apply in this type of set-up, which is essentially a members association, where the members (clubs) have signed up to certain rules (in this case via their respective FAs or leagues). There may be other reasons why it wouldn't stand up in court, but I don't think it would be on those grounds.

There were rumours going around of some kind of pay-off. I'm not so sure UEFA would be that crude about it, but it's certainly likely there was some incentive, as you say - maybe around lower fines or some such thing.

They have to mate, in the end these are just corporations, rules cannot apply if they are effectively enforcement of anti-trust/monopolistic business practice.

I'd love to see it go to court, I think if it does UEFA/FA are dead

They have to mate, in the end these are just corporations, rules cannot apply if they are effectively enforcement of anti-trust/monopolistic business practice.

UEFA certainly can't prevent clubs from setting up a rival competition/league, that absolutely would be anti-competitive. But are you saying that they can't expel (from the CL) the clubs that do so when the rules don't permit them to play in a competing tournament as well as in the CL? That doesn't seem unreasonable and it's not preventing competition.
Admittedly my anti-trust training is very limited, high-level, and restricted to areas such as resale price maintenance and abuse of market position, so I can't claim any great insight into this specific scenario. Time will tell. The EU Commission have already said they don't want to be involved, seeing it as a sporting matter rather than an anti-trust matter, although if a formal complaint were made they'd have to investigate, and that would likely take a couple of years to get a ruling.

UEFA certainly can't prevent clubs from setting up a rival competition/league, that absolutely would be anti-competitive. But are you saying that they can't expel (from the CL) the clubs that do so when the rules don't permit them to play in a competing tournament as well as in the CL? That doesn't seem unreasonable and it's not preventing competition.
Admittedly my anti-trust training is very limited, high-level, and restricted to areas such as resale price maintenance and abuse of market position, so I can't claim any great insight into this specific scenario. Time will tell. The EU Commission have already said they don't want to be involved, seeing it as a sporting matter rather than an anti-trust matter, although if a formal complaint were made they'd have to investigate, and that would likely take a couple of years to get a ruling.

the clubs did not ask to play in CL "as well as" ESL, basically

- The clubs decided to not compete in UEFA competitions (something that was a "at UEFA's discretion", so the club business was variable)
- The clubs went ahead and created their own competition (did not in any way stop UEFA's)
- UEFA then conspired with the FA to threaten, fine, including targeting employees of the clubs (players with Euros) to force said clubs back into their competition even if that meant a loss of revenue for those clubs

I have no fudging idea how any of that vaguely holds up in court, yes it make take years but I think this is the beginning of the end for them

It is not a monopoly as UEFA are not stopping clubs from competing in another competition. They are merely stating that you cannot compete in their competition if you compete in a competition not sanctioned by them.

The fact that we have accepted our fine with our tails between our legs suggests to me that the legal team at our club feel that UEFA would win the court case.

It is not a monopoly as UEFA are not stopping clubs from competing in another competition. They are merely stating that you cannot compete in their competition if you compete in a competition not sanctioned by them.

The fact that we have accepted our fine with our tails between our legs suggests to me that the legal team at our club feel that UEFA would win the court case.

That wasn't what they stated, effectively their statement was "any attempt to compete in a competition not sponsored by them will be met by punishment to not only the club but players"

The acceptance was a PR thing, it's not a legal thing, it's not in the benefit of the club right now to be the face of the ESL and/or take the legal win at the cost of the bad PR.

That wasn't what they stated, effectively their statement was "any attempt to compete in a competition not sponsored by them will be met by punishment to not only the club but players"

The acceptance was a PR thing, it's not a legal thing, it's not in the benefit of the club right now to be the face of the ESL and/or take the legal win at the cost of the bad PR.
This was UEFA's actual statement:

“UEFA, the English Football Association and the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A have learned that a few English, Spanish and Italian clubs may be planning to announce their creation of a closed, so-called Super League.

“If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we – UEFA, the English FA, RFEF, FIGC, the Premier League, LaLiga, Lega Serie A, but also FIFA and all our member associations – will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever.

“We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.

“As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

“We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this. We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced.

“This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough.”

UEFA's statement just said that they would consider all measures available to them to prevent the competition from happening. There is nothing concrete that can be challenged legally here.

Additionally it was FIFA and the home FAs that stated that the clubs would be banned from playing in any other competition. The comment about players, again from the FA/FIFA and not UEFA, was that they 'could' be denied the opportunity. I think that one would definitely have been quashed if things had got that far.

Anyway, at least that the owners of the 6 English clubs finally came to their senses (though I think ours were in the group of 4 who's hand was forced by the other 2). The idea was an abomination that I find difficult to believe any Spurs fan could've got behind.

Back