• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

This is going to be interesting. Surely all these people haven't put their necks on the line without some sort of written commitment from the clubs? I can't see the likes of Perez, Glazier and JP Morgan just shrugging their shoulders and saying "off you go."

And does the absence of Chelsea kill this or does it need another few for it to lose credibility?
"Chelsea’s decision to leave the Super League has been made this evening. The west London club are preparing to submit paperwork to withdraw, but it could be convoluted process and take a while because of legally binding contracts they have signed."

I don’t want out, I fear the domino effect.
Because I think it becomes more of a mess if you end up having two camps with equal number of big teams

The remaining 10 need to find some big names to join them, but would still look a bit odd with bayern, PSG and Man C on the outside

Oh so 12 was the magic number. Not 10, 12.

You think that is what is wrong?

Oh so 12 was the magic number. Not 10, 12.

You think that is what is wrong?

We'll go back through the previous arguments if I reply properly to that.

It looks like its over now. The good thing from this week is that we have Mourinho out, so I'm in a happier place with Spurs than I was on Sunday morning!

Can anyone explain how owners of rich clubs benefit financially from their clubs growing their revenues? Surely there's not much room for dividends, as most profit gets invested in staying competitive on the field? And won't these clubs be starting to approach the limit of their value, hence not being particularly attractive to any potential buyers? (Or are they relying on more people like Abrahamovic and Mansour eventually buying their club as an expensive vanity project)?

I think the issue is consistency. Businesses don’t like gambling. If you spend a lot and don’t get CL you’re in trouble. With the ESL you know you’re making money consistently. The unpredictability - that makes football so exciting - is lost. City failing and dropping out the CL or Wolves make Europe etc. makes for enticing stories. Guaranteed revenue is great for businesses, not great for the spectacle.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Barca out as well apparently.

All you lot who outed yourself as plastic closed shop wannabes gonna have some egg on your face soon :D

Crying about City & Chelsea all these years but the first whiff of something like that for ourselves and you hitch you skirt. Ha ha

Barca out as well apparently.

All you lot who outed yourself as plastic closed shop wannabes gonna have sone egg on your face soon :D

How so?

I still like the idea and if Barca are the last drop out and it goes ahead, I’ll be delighted, even more delighted as we add city and Chelsea to the clubs that will get fudged over.

I want what’s best for Spurs, what makes our future most financially secure, what gives us a chance of winning the biggest prizes.

I think the issue is consistency. Businesses don’t like gambling. If you spend a lot and don’t get CL you’re in trouble. With the ESL you know you’re making money consistently. The unpredictability - that makes football so exciting - is lost. See City fail and drop out the CL or Wolves make Europe etc. Great for businesses not great for the spectacle.

Yeah I can understand that, indeed I think it’s a totally valid point in and of itself. (Though I think the response should be to distribute money more evenly to clubs outside of the competition).

But virtually everyone seems to be talking about owner greed etc, which feels like a different point.

I think the issue is consistency. Businesses don’t like gambling. If you spend a lot and don’t get CL you’re in trouble. With the ESL you know you’re making money consistently. The unpredictability - that makes football so exciting - is lost. See City fail and drop out the CL or Wolves make Europe etc. Great for businesses not great for the spectacle.

I think we just witnessed an epic failed hustle that will see several owners hounded out of the game.

So much for business acumen.

Back