• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

They don't want the smaller teams in it and they want guaranteed participation for the founder members. That's a huge difference.

I can see teams like Ajax/Celtic joining it because they have massive fan bases, they will also be happy just to be in it and take a smaller cut.

I wonder if this decision is driven by a potential rise in club value? Maybe to facilitate a larger fee if and when Enic move on

I think Neville is spot on with his comments. It’s a Money grab and driven by pure greed.

I’m disappointed in Mr Levy if he has signed us up and not surprised by it either.

What right do we have to be in a European super league ? Delusion of grandeur springs to mind . We can’t even compete in our own league.

fudge modern football, this is beautiful to me as I see this as our revenge on the game for giving me near on nothing for the entire 25 years or so I’ve followed the club.

And during that time having to also watch as the goons constantly win trophies including the league at our ground and taking our captain on a free transfer. You couldnt make it up.

If this isnt enough I’ve also had to see this pea sized leyton orient level racist hell club in chelsea win about 50 million trophies completely eclipsing us.

fudge modern football, about time it suffered as I have!

I think this ESL will replace the CL, it'll fold back under UEFA, perhaps with a separate board or governance, and there will be some haggling over entry rights

I dont believe that these 11 teams would jsut wnat to play in the ESL and not domestically, nor do I believe that the PL, La Liga think that they can credibly continue with these 11 teams

Every football organisation is vehemently opposed and they will make life as difficult as possible.

Those organisations are the Football industry and an ESL running counter to those bodies will be very short lived as it will not survive independently of the rest of the Game.

For example, FIFA could and will threaten players with bans from their own competitions if they represent clubs in an unsanctioned tournament.

fudge modern football, this is beautiful to me as I see this as our revenge on the game for giving me near on nothing for the entire 25 years or so I’ve followed the club.

And during that time having to also watch as the goons constantly win trophies including the league at our ground and taking our captain on a free transfer. You couldnt make it up.

If this isnt enough I’ve also had to see this pea sized leyton orient level racist hell club in chelsea win about 50 million trophies completely eclipsing us.

fudge modern football, about time it suffered as I have!

Not for me. That’s not how I see it.

Every football organisation is vehemently opposed and they will make life as difficult as possible.

Those organisations are the Football industry and an ESL running counter to those bodies will be very short lived as it will not survive independently of the rest of the Game.

For example, FIFA could and will threaten players with bans from their own competitions if they represent clubs in an unsanctioned tournament.

FIFA needs sponsorship just as much as everyone else. It doesn’t want to kill its own golden geese. And FIFA tolerates franchised leagues elsewhere, most notably in the US.

Agreed. But without Barca and Real, La Liga is finished as a professional competition. The PL and Serie A to a lesser extent, but still badly hit. That's why they won't want there to be a split

Would, say, Harry Kane prefer to stay at Spurs and earn £400k per week from playing in this, or move to a team in the PL and earn say £100k? The players will go to where the money is

my post said 'in some amended format' - that would be one of the key aspects which UEFA etc would push on. Maybe it expands to 30 teams of which 19 qualify? I dont know but clearly that would be the most sensitive aspect which people would want changed

They want teams from the major leagues playing each other more regularly and guaranteed participation for those clubs. They want guaranteed income. There is no way that UEFA can accommodate that.

They want teams from the major leagues playing each other more regularly and guaranteed participation for those clubs. They want guaranteed income. There is no way that UEFA can accommodate that.

Lets see how the coming weeks evolve, but I think UEFA will want to keep these teams in as UEFA and there competitions are hugely weakened without them. They'll have to compromise. What that will be I dont know, but I dont think UEFA hold many cards here

Except that we wouldn’t care much about top 4 any more.
Too true. We'd be competing with even more money-doped sides, the likes of Juventus, Inter, PSG and others eg Leipzig would doubtless come in too. Given Joe Lewis will never throw lorry loads of dosh our way we'd be permanent whipping boys.

Either way that’s top clubs bullying the authorities to get their own way. If Levy is amongst that number he should be embarrassed.

Would you prefer us to have been on the outside and the other 10 go ahead with this? I certainly wouldnt! Had we not signed up to this, it would have gone ahead anyway

Lets see how the coming weeks evolve, but I think UEFA will want to keep these teams in as UEFA and there competitions are hugely weakened without them. They'll have to compromise. What that will be I dont know, but I dont think UEFA hold many cards here

I am not sure that they will be able to agree anything that means that many member associations don't get places in the CL.

Back