• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

UEFA only have themselves to blame. There has been grumbling for years from top clubs about the CL and this was UEFA’s chance with the reformatting of the CL set to be announced on Monday.

But the idiots failed miserably with the new CL set to have some strange expanded groups and the extra places going to ultra brick teams from brick leagues. They were expected for a long while to expand the CL so that the top 6 positions in the best leagues all got CL places but no the macaron,s didnt do that.

So it can be no surprise that these aggrieved Clubs have looked elsewhere and who can blame them (especially us with massive debt, pandemic impact and no hope of CL for the foreseeable future) with the monumental amount of money involved.

We can now give Kane a £400k a week contract and fund the rebuild.

The Super League will be played in midweek so no need for the PL to make empty threats about kicking us out of the prem.

No it has not, it has been going on for a while but its more about how much money everyone can make and it stinks. IMO

I agree, the thing that started the rot was scrapping maximum pay, most clubs in the league had a couple of stars as they earned the same money whoever they played for, sure there were under counter payments and bonus pay but it seemed much fairer.

Financially be great for the club, but we would be like Italy in the six nations, I suppose if it happened we could build a stronger team and focus on the PL and play bit players in it.

Financially be great for the club, but we would be like Italy in the six nations, I suppose if it happened we could build a stronger team and focus on the PL and play bit players in it.

It could be something of a reset, yes we start with a weaker squad, but we are in the box seat from a commercial point of view due to being in London and having the best facilities (until Madrid finish their renovations).

Its all about the money and the greedy bastards could not give a brick about most supporters.

Football used to be the beautiful game but its lost its soul.
Not sure it's been that way for a very long time.
But I agree now it's worse than previously.
The line for me was when Spurs introduced the Tiered membership - the principle behind that was out of order

I can understand why UEFA and the PL don't like it...however its a little hypocritical from them given that they've always structured their tournaments and schedules based on money and the best teams. Now that 15 teams want to break away and do the same thing, they're blubbing about it

Difficult to say where this will end up but my bet at the moment would be on (i) UEFA and the PL not kicking these teams out, and (ii) the teams not breaking away....and there being a compromise where this new tournament stays within UEFA's remit and with a UEFA badge on it - effectively it replaces the CL

Wonder whehter this is also why Levy has dragged his feet on the stadium naming rights? Presumably worth more if we're in this new fangled thing

I can understand why UEFA and the PL don't like it...however its a little hypocritical from them given that they've always structured their tournaments and schedules based on money and the best teams. Now that 15 teams want to break away and do the same thing, they're blubbing about it

Difficult to say where this will end up but my bet at the moment would be on (i) UEFA and the PL not kicking these teams out, and (ii) the teams not breaking away....and there being a compromise where this new tournament stays within UEFA's remit and with a UEFA badge on it - effectively it replaces the CL

Yep, it’s a parallel to the starting of the PL and the change to the EC format.

It’s been mooted for so long it’s a miss by UEFA to not have started one themselves.

The PL without those 5 teams though is nothing. The TV companies would be looking for ways of claiming that the PL breached their contract given that, for the TV companies, their advertising revenue on match days would fall massively. Difficult to see how the PL would actually want to kick these teams out - they'll be scrambling around for a negotiated middle ground

Back