• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

I'm guessing they could say the work permits were given for players to play in certain competitions. Not a super league.

Not a lawyer so don't know. Just sharing.
We are no longer in the EU. The UK is not obligated to give work permits to anyone. Work permits themselves typically have some restriction covenants to them, whether that be time related or industry they are associated with.

As well as instructing UEFA to allow the three clubs who have yet to withdraw from the European Super League (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus) to compete in the Champions League next season, UEFA were also told to rescind “the disguised sanction consisting of a 5% reduction in revenues and the contribution to the Solidarity Fund of €15m.”

ESL is coming back.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

As well as instructing UEFA to allow the three clubs who have yet to withdraw from the European Super League (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus) to compete in the Champions League next season, UEFA were also told to rescind “the disguised sanction consisting of a 5% reduction in revenues and the contribution to the Solidarity Fund of €15m.”

ESL is coming back.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

A judge in Spain has ordered that UEFA and the Premier League scrap all fines issued in the wake of the Super League debacle as they breach an earlier ruling and are contrary to European competition law.

fudging hilarious, go back through this thread now

- From the very beginning I said there was zero fudging chance this brick stands up in court
- Then confirmed by UEFA's decision to try to back out of court proceedings by dropping any "further action" against the three non PL clubs

All I got was insults (ESL/ENIC stooge, etc.) and people who claim to know better ..

A judge in Spain has ordered that UEFA and the Premier League scrap all fines issued in the wake of the Super League debacle as they breach an earlier ruling and are contrary to European competition law.

fudging hilarious, go back through this thread now

- From the very beginning I said there was zero fudging chance this brick stands up in court
- Then confirmed by UEFA's decision to try to back out of court proceedings by dropping any "further action" against the three non PL clubs

All I got was insults (ESL/ENIC stooge, etc.) and people who claim to know better ..
You may be right.... Too early to tell at the moment I think.

We'll know more when we see what UEFA's response is (i.e. do they accept the decision of a Spanish court?)

Also, I'm not sure that a Spanish court has any jurisdiction over what the PL can and can't do? Will be interesting to see what the 6 PL clubs do now. Do they challenge the PL fine in court or not? Thinking about it... was it even a PL imposed fine? Didn't the clubs voluntarily offer to pay a penalty? (I can't actually remember how that came about?)

You may be right.... Too early to tell at the moment I think.

We'll know more when we see what UEFA's response is (i.e. do they accept the decision of a Spanish court?)

Also, I'm not sure that a Spanish court has any jurisdiction over what the PL can and can't do? Will be interesting to see what the 6 PL clubs do now. Do they challenge the PL fine in court or not? Thinking about it... was it even a PL imposed fine? Didn't the clubs voluntarily offer to pay a penalty? (I can't actually remember how that came about?)

UEFA was already trying to back out before the ruling (I suspect the lawyers told them run), they had officially stated no further action.

The PL/Europe thing may be interesting, effectively most UK laws are still copy/paste versions of European laws.

The Pl decided to push a fine and rule changes IIRC, really the minute the ESL collapsed they & UEFA should have backed off and left the ruling part ambiguous, the court clarification really was only going to put them in bad place.

UEFA was already trying to back out before the ruling (I suspect the lawyers told them run), they had officially stated no further action.

The PL/Europe thing may be interesting, effectively most UK laws are still copy/paste versions of European laws.

The Pl decided to push a fine and rule changes IIRC, really the minute the ESL collapsed they & UEFA should have backed off and left the ruling part ambiguous, the court clarification really was only going to put them in bad place.
The rule change is in now though I think?

Was the fine imposed by the PL or did the ESL 6 voluntarily pay a contribution (for PR reasons).... I seem to remember it being the latter (but could easily be wrong).

The rule change is in now though I think?

Was the fine imposed by the PL or did the ESL 6 voluntarily pay a contribution (for PR reasons).... I seem to remember it being the latter (but could easily be wrong).

I think it was an agreed sum, or settlement, rather than a voluntary contribution, so a fine nonetheless but with the amount being negotiated.

Hasn’t the new £100m fine rule been put in by the PL now though? If so then that becomes the ‘entry fee’ for each PL club brave enough to have another go at acting against (a large majority of) their fans’ wishes.
True. Maybe the lawyers are working on the validity of that. Isn't the EPL a monopoly and should they be less punitive about clubs coming and going?

Hasn’t the new £100m fine rule been put in by the PL now though? If so then that becomes the ‘entry fee’ for each PL club brave enough to have another go at acting against (a large majority of) their fans’ wishes.

But effectively you have precedent (a court ruling, regardless of UK vs. European) that says that's illegal (that was my point earlier in thread, making a rule neither makes it legal or enforceable).

The PR is the holdback now, but they will try again, just timing now.

A Spanish court has no jurisdiction in the UK whatsoever since we left the EU surely? In anycase if there are PL rules against it that they've signed up to then that's enough.

The government and I'd say any government (Labour or Tory) can also just remove work permits or make them conditional if they really wanted to stop it.

A Spanish court has no jurisdiction in the UK whatsoever since we left the EU surely? In anycase if there are PL rules against it that they've signed up to then that's enough.

The government and I'd say any government (Labour or Tory) can also just remove work permits or make them conditional if they really wanted to stop it.

EU Competition law applies to any organisation conducting business in the EU, regardless of where in the world that organisation is located, so, generally speaking, a ruling on the basis of competition law would have validity here.
Having said that I'm not so clear on how that impacts on the PL operating in England. Maybe it's through club association with UEFA, which operates on a pan-European basis.
If EU Competition law does apply, then any rules signed up to could be deemed null and void if found to be in contravention of that law. It would probably take years to get a formal ruling and the competition authorities have already said they don't want to get involved. I expect UEFA and the PL/FA will quietly back down on this rather than challenge it, but it will be interesting to see if the whole ESL concept gets re-born in a year or two.

I think the clubs pushing for the ESL - European - fears the rise of something outside of Europe.
Say a Chinese Super League that pays better than the EPL ... no stopping the drain of talents out of England and Europe.

Back