• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European and Global Super League Plans

Barcelona and Real would jump at this as their TV "deal" or should that be 'monopoly' is about be diluted and they are really worried by it.

This proposal is probably instigated by the Spanish 'giants'.

A couple of weeks ago someone from Barcelona proposed a wildcard entry for "big clubs" that failed to qualify. As well as the English clubs missing out, the Milan clubs could also miss out. Next year could be without AC Milan, Inter, Man Utd and Liverpool. A shame they had no sympathy for the likes of Ajax and Benfica when developing the CL.

Could some stability at FIFA with Infantino be a good thing in this regard?

A lot of people talking about the need for a complete re-start of FIFA. But on a Norwegian football podcast yesterday (fotballklubben) they made the point that any such re-start was likely to make Europe a lot more powerful in the footballing world. Extrapolating from that could it be that it would also make a European super league more likely?

Who cares, what makes football a good sport is all the conversation that goes with it. Removing all the regular games removes all of that and there'd be no monday morning coffee talk and people would get bored. No one would bother watching a CL with clubs guaranteed a place in it, the only people afraid are the European teams due to the PL TV deal really.

Let them start their 'Super League'. We can battle it out with the other for the Premier League for a few seasons, but when the Super League dies...which it will and they want to come back. They start in League Two!

A European Super League would last about three years (tops) before it collapsed due to a lack of interest. There'd maybe be a Merseyside derby every 5 years (when Liverpool get drawn against Everton in a cup); same with a North London derby. Liverpool and Arsenal fans might claim to be in favour of that - but they'd start to hate it fairly quickly. And you'd also have a situation whereby teams like Arsenal and Liverpool would go from "top half / title challengers" to "mid-table / scraping the bottom" overnight.

Also; just to echo the point that we've finished above Liverpool in the Premier League in 5 out of the last 6 seasons (and it looks like we will again this year). Whatever about Leicester having a "one off" season (yet to be proven; but fairly likely), the fact is - Spurs are simply a better team than Liverpool these days; and our new stadium will start to address off-field differences between the clubs.

A European Super League will not happen for many a year, if ever.

Though the Champions and Europa need a today revamp.

This is nothing new to be honest, older supporters will remember the so called big clubs going on about doing this decades ago and is the reason the European Cup was replaced by the Champs Lge.

look how well that turned out........

What a fudge puppet! The twit has no sense of history, of struggle, of loyalty of irony, of...well anything much. Just think, creeps like this are aiming to take control of OUR game. Makes me wonder about criticism of the Bindipper walkout and how some had a go. I think they were right on the money. They can see what's happening.

Indeed, and now they want to make it even more exclusive. Football stinks.

Money will always rule its the oxygen of all top sports.
The lesser leagues qualifiers ie Scotland, Scandinavia or whoever could conceivably play in a prelim round and cut down on the early groups by at least one?

But I'm all for cutting the amount of teams in the World cup, Euros and the European competitions. 18 in the EPL would also be a good idea along with scrapping of the league cup and making the fa cup start earlier in the season and midweek only.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
http://www.theguardian.com/football...-leicester-relevent-sports-charlie-stillitano

fudge me what a clam. Is there anything sacred from the yanks trying to fudge the world?

“Maybe that is absolutely spectacular unless you are a Manchester United fan, Liverpool fan … or a Chelsea fan,” Stillitano said. “I guess they don’t have a birthright to be in it every year but it’s the age-old argument: US sports franchises versus what they have in Europe. There are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful elements to relegation and promotion and there are good arguments for a closed system.”

Arguments, plural? Only one I can think of, guaranteed money for the protected few.
"US sports franchises" - therein lies the problem.

This is going to sound arrogant and it’s the furthest thing from it … "
No, spot on first time. It is fudging arrogant.

"I can help my sponsors out but right now I am locked into doing certain things that are really historic."
Like this is bad? Guess it's a novelty for a yank, coming face to face with something that has history.

I was having quite a good Friday until I read that. What a taco.

Last edited:
International champions cup, unlikely any of those 5 are going to be champions. Trade descriptions act.

Football could learn a lot from u s a sport. Draft systems, family friendly, easier media access, but not this.

Back