• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European and Global Super League Plans

I'd support Rangers and Celtic moving into a GB Super League.

They're crushing what remains of football in Scotland. Pointless to leave them there. Take advantage of the audiences they offer and the genuine animosity they'd generate. Quids out the ying-yang. Hotels rammed. Alcohol sales soaring.

And their fans are all so well behaved and cultured. Celtic think they're some sort of fashionable outfit. A few away days in England would quickly disabuse them of that notion. 'Gers fans - I'm one - would have to wind their necks in a bit, too. Be good for both of them to feel a little humility.

EziCwcvXMAI4Pnm

I had to double check today's date.

Boris backing it to stave off independence makes some sense. Get Celtic and Rangers fans on board and majority become more difficult. On the other hand, it might just aggravate the sectarian divide between the two clubs.

Any lasting damage done to clubs in the aftermath of the scrapped ESL?

I see fans protesting strongly, chairmen coming out of the woodwork but really they could push on if they wanted to.

The NBA is essentially a superleague where the competition is referred to as a world series and players don't see a need for internationals. It also drives megabucks for the club through fanatical fans worldwide.

Sent from my SM-G985F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I see fans protesting strongly, chairmen coming out of the woodwork but really they could push on if they wanted to.

The NBA is essentially a superleague where the competition is referred to as a world series and players don't see a need for internationals. It also drives megabucks for the club through fanatical fans worldwide.

Yep. The arguments about competition, fan interest and long term financial success all fall apart when you look at the NBA/MLB/NHL/NFL.

It's not really a superleague, it's just the only country that plays that particular sport to a high level. That's pure coincidence and not by design. There are no international team competitions because there are no other high level leagues to play against.

There are of course international competitions such as the Olympics.

Last edited:
Yep. The arguments about competition, fan interest and long term financial success all fall apart when you look at the NBA/MLB/NHL/NFL.
These are not comparable situations. They are one country leagues in essentially one country sports. The history of these teams and their rivalry has been borne out of their structure.

The ESL would be more akin to the Lakers, The bulls, the Knicks and the pistons leaving the NBA to join a league with European and Chinese basketball teams.

a possibly overlooked point on the big American leagues, there are teams from outside America that are regular competitors, both in MLB and the NHL

These are not comparable situations. They are one country leagues in essentially one country sports. The history of these teams and their rivalry has been borne out of their structure.

The ESL would be more akin to the Lakers, The bulls, the Knicks and the pistons leaving the NBA to join a league with European and Chinese basketball teams.

a better analogy would be NBA starting a super tier and bringing in the best ROW teams over to compete, the ESL was still the best teams in their historical base

rivalry is borne of history, which builds as you go

a possibly overlooked point on the big American leagues, there are teams from outside America that are regular competitors, both in MLB and the NHL
Other countries being Canada which is basically part of the same setup sports wise. Again, those sorts have grown organically in those countries. They are not super leagues, they are just the league.

Other countries being Canada which is basically part of the same setup sports wise. Again, those sorts have grown organically in those countries. They are not super leagues, they are just the league.

yep, but leagues which have become super, despite being a sandbox which would supposedly kill a football equivalent

the success of MLS shows you can build from scratch, in those constraints, and have a successful league very quickly, my opinion is the ESL would have taken a shortcut by bringing the best players and teams that already hate each other in from the off

yep, but leagues which have become super, despite being a sandbox which would supposedly kill a football equivalent

the success of MLS shows you can build from scratch, in those constraints, and have a successful league very quickly, my opinion is the ESL would have taken a shortcut by bringing the best players and teams that already hate each other in from the off

I disagree with your contention that they are super leagues. No one else seriously plays any of the American sports. There's nothing super about the NBA, it's the originator of the sport and the only serious competition. It would be like calling the AFL in Australia a super League when they pretty much the only ones playing the sport competitively.

I disagree with your contention that they are super leagues. No one else seriously plays any of the American sports. There's nothing super about the NBA, it's the originator of the sport and the only serious competition. It would be like calling the AFL in Australia a super League when they pretty much the only ones playing the sport competitively.

I meant super as in very good fun, hence the lower case S.

dipper fans still protesting this, days after it was cancelled, and some demanding "FSG Out", the same FSG that stopped RBS putting them out of business not that long ago and then bought them a PL and CL title

mind boggling

dipper fans still protesting this, days after it was cancelled, and some demanding "FSG Out", the same FSG that stopped RBS putting them out of business not that long ago and then bought them a PL and CL title

mind boggling
They have principles and are guiding their owners in the direction they want them to go in. The fact that FSG responded with such deference suggests they will indeed pay attention to what their fans want going forward. I can't see that as a bad thing.

They have principles and are guiding their owners in the direction they want them to go in. The fact that FSG responded with such deference suggests they will indeed pay attention to what their fans want going forward. I can't see that as a bad thing.

they are trying to hound them out, which is odd if they now feel they have an influence over them

they are trying to hound them out, which is odd if they now feel they have an influence over them
The club is more important than the owners. We all know Liverpool fans have a particular cultural outlook and I can respect that. If you're going to own that club you need to respect it to because it's a very vocal, political and emotional fan base.

Back