• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League - Round of 32: Fiorentina (ITA)

I saw the last ten minutes of the game when they got the second goal. How did they play overall?

I saw the last ten minutes of the game when they got the second goal. How did they play overall?

Both teams were rather poor. Roma threatened first half but not really good enough to score. Poor goalkeeping for the second and smash and grab for the second. If we are at full strength we'd beat Fiorentina at home 3 or 4-0. If they play like yesterday, which they probably won't

Lets hope so Mumorn.

A number of former team-mates will be on opposite sides as Tottenham Hotspur FC take on ACF Fiorentina in a tough-looking UEFA Europa League round of 32 tie.

Previous meetings
• The teams are pitted together for the first time in UEFA competition. They did meet in two pre-season friendlies, Spursprevailing 3-0 in 2001 and 3-2 in 2010, both games taking place in London.

Tottenham are unbeaten in five home matches against Italian sides in UEFA competition (W3 D2), and have not conceded in their last three home games against Serie A opposition.

Fiorentina's only previous two-legged knockout tie against English opponents was decided on penalties – the Viola squeezing past Everton FC on Merseyside in the 2007/08 UEFA Cup round of 16 in a shoot-out after the clubs had traded 2-0 home wins.

Form guide
Spurs are undefeated in four European home matches this term (W3 D1). They have won their last two round of 32 ties since bowing out to FC Shakhtar Donetsk at the same stage of the 2008/09 UEFA Cup.

Fiorentina are unbeaten in nine European away games (W7 D2); they have not lost in 12 on the road in the UEFA Cup and UEFA Europa League (W8 D4), with that last reverse coming in the match at Everton mentioned above.

Trivia and links
• Erik Lamela is the sole Tottenham player with Serie A experience, having played for AS Roma from 2011–13;Fiorentina's David Pizarro was a team-mate in his first season in Rome.

Fiorentina's Mounir El-Hamdaoui was on the books at White Hart Lane from 2005–06 but never played a competitive game.

Fiorentina feature English talent in the shape of Micah Richards, who is on loan from Emirates Marketing Project FC; Spurs forward Emmanuel Adebayor and Viola defender Stefan Savić are both former City team-mates of Richards.

Fiorentina's Marko Marin (Chelsea FC), Alberto Aquilani (Liverpool FC), Borja Valero (West Bromwich Albion FC), Giuseppe Rossi (Manchester United FC, Saudi Sportswashing Machine FC) and Marcos Alonso (Bolton Wanderers FC, Sunderland AFC) all have Premier League experience.

Spurs (1972 and 1984) are among 11 former UEFA Cup or UEFA Europa League winners in the round of 32.

The coaches
• Ex-Argentina defender Mauricio Pochettino took charge of Tottenham last summer after a successful first 18 months in England with Southampton FC. A Copa del Rey winner during both his spells at RCD Espanyol, he also played for Paris Saint-Germain and FC Girondins de Bordeaux but returned to the Barcelona club for his first coaching role in 2009.

Fiorentina boss since June 2012, Vincenzo Montella was known as 'L'Aeroplanino' (the Little Aeroplane) because of his modest stature and trademark goal celebrations during his time as a striker. An Italian international, he won Serie A and two Coppa Italias with Roma, whom he later coached along with Calcio Catania.

He was obviously a threat, not as good as he was last year but he weakens them. I don't think he upgrades Chel53a in anyway but the game will be easier without him.

Ironically, will Cuadrado being available to play against us instead for Chelski in the League Cup Final be an issue? I know you say he doesn't upgrade them generally but do you think we will have to be (extra) wary in that one-off game and also on the wide Wembley pitch?

Ironically, will Cuadrado being available to play against us instead for Chelski in the League Cup Final be an issue? I know you say he doesn't upgrade them generally but do you think we will have to be (extra) wary in that one-off game and also on the wide Wembley pitch?

He'll be available but I'd be surprised if he starts. May find himself on the bench. His pace will always stretch the game, but he'll be no more a threat than Willian.

2 losses in their last 14 games in all competitions for Fiorentina stretching back to November. They're starting to ind real form and are playing good stuff. Over two legs it won't be easy but we will have enough to beat them over the two. I can see us beating them 2 or 3-1 at home and drawing away.

WTF is wrong with our league?? I know it's just a few hours, but how come we play West Ham at around midday on Sunday after playing Thursday night in the Europa League. I assume it's for the TV schedulers, but if this was Chelsea playing midday after playing Wednesday night you could guarantee Jose having a go at those who come up with the fixtures.

All clubs have submitted their squad lists for the knockout phase of the Europa League. For Tottenham, the only changes from the list at the group stage are the exclusion of Lennon and Naughton.

DeAndre Yedlin has not been with the club long enough to qualify for inclusion on List B and has not been added to List A. I can't say I understand that. It appears as though Ben Davies is not being counted as "locally trained", in which case we already have the maximum permitted number of 17 non-locally trained players. However, I would have thought Davies was "association-trained" as he was registered with Swansea who are affiliated to the English FA.

So, the full squad is:
Hugo Lloris
Michel Vorm
Kyle Walker
Danny Rose
Younes Kaboul
Jan Vertonghen
Vlad Chiriches
Eric Dier
Federico Fazio
Ben Davies
Paulinho
Erik Lamela
Andros Townsend
Mousa Dembele
Nacer Chadli
Christian Eriksen
Benjamin Stambouli
Etienne Capoue
Ryan Mason
Roberto Soldado
Emmanuel Adebayor

Nabil Bentaleb and Harry Kane are on List B.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2207170.html

Full strength team for leg 1, then rest players for the second leg regardless of the agg score. Chelsea on the 1st should be the priority.

Full strength team for leg 1, then rest players for the second leg regardless of the agg score. Chelsea on the 1st should be the priority.

Bit of a headache that one for Pochettino. I agree that we should prioritize the LC final regardless of score in the first game against Fiorentina. Thursday away into Sunday combo is pretty tough. But how many to rest and who to rest is going to be a real difficult decision. Glad I'm not the one making it!

6pm kick off on thursday, finish at 8pm, 2 hour flight home to stansted, short drive, the players could be in bed by 1am friday morning, give them the day off then preparation day on saturday morning ready for sunday at 4pm

6pm kick off on thursday, finish at 8pm, 2 hour flight home to stansted, short drive, the players could be in bed by 1am friday morning, give them the day off then preparation day on saturday morning ready for sunday at 4pm

GHod forbid that is a tough schedule, how will the poor mites manage ;)

anyone watching the fiorentina game? two nil up away to Sassuolo. Doesn't look like a fun place to play. Signing for Juventus or Napoli sounds fairly glamorous, but away games like this (probably the majority) don't look like much fun.

He haven't got past the quarter final in Europe for 30 years now.
And we are not gonna do it without playing our first team.
We should use the Europa League to play our youth team if we are not gonna take it seriously.

So i've been a reader of this forum for about 3 years now, i'm not a huge "forum" user, but tonight's result has driven me too finally join, so i can get my annoyance out i suppose but to also cheer up and look forward to Sunday.

I'm not really sure how we have lost this over the two legs ...honestly. We are the better side hands down. The mistakes we made tonight were almost juvenile, we were so careless when we really needed to be switched on for 90 mins.

I wanted a deep EL run so much, and i really thought we would do. We had the chance to go deep this season but here we are again.

Someone say something to cheer me up!

So i've been a reader of this forum for about 3 years now, i'm not a huge "forum" user, but tonight's result has driven me too finally join, so i can get my annoyance out i suppose but to also cheer up and look forward to Sunday.

I'm not really sure how we have lost this over the two legs ...honestly. We are the better side hands down. The mistakes we made tonight were almost juvenile, we were so careless when we really needed to be switched on for 90 mins.

I wanted a deep EL run so much, and i really thought we would do. We had the chance to go deep this season but here we are again.

Someone say something to cheer me up!

Another lesson in European football. It's how sub standard Liverpool and Chelsea teams have won the Champions League in recent years, unlike the Premier League, where a long campaign always ensures it is the best team that finishes top of the pile, European tournaments are essentially cups. A bit of luck comes into play, but tactical nous also can tip the scales. I think that Montella responded well to his hand dealt each time. Our fault for not pressing and advantage in the first half of each game.

The good news is that experience from these games stand us in good stead for future European campaigns, which hopefully would mean Champions League. I am in no doubt the previous UEFA cup runs fed into our only run in the CL in 2010/11.

And the other good news, if it sits well or not, is that we will only have the league to concentrate on now. An old line maybe but very true. Poch will play the same XI every week barring injuries, as opposed to having to rotate to keep players happy and unsettle the balance.

My first post, i am happy we are out of this uefa cup run as even though we might have a large squad the coach only trust half of them.We will have to wait for poch to get more of his guys in over the next few transfer periods.

10 games we played in the tournament for nothing.
They really need to fix the tournament.

Uefa are never gonna take away the group phase. They see it as a way of rewarding the smaller club with games and money.
Still they need to reduce the amount of games.

They will not want to reduce the numbers in the groups either. That stuff gets negotiated by the UEFA and European Club Association.
So 48 teams in the groups as now.

Only way I see of fixing it is 8 groups of 6. Each team plays the other 5 teams once. The 8 winners go into the quarter finals.
That's ten games total to win the tournament.
Lots of dead rubbers in the groups. But this could be solved by having the difference between finishing 4th and 5th being a few million in prize money.
And get rid of the CL drop outs.

The other option is to get rid of 2 legged ties in the knockouts.
Just have home advantage based on luck like the FA Cup.
That would mean a maximum of just 5 games to get a winner from 32 teams.

Also it will get rid of the boring football that comes from away goals.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/13/the-question-football-away-goals

Last edited:
Back