• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League Draw - Gent (BEL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you do this to yourself? Even Man utd will have a better chance than us - not to talk of Monchengladbach, Lyon, Shaktar or Villareal. It would be a feat to get past ALL of those clubs if we are not being rose-tinted

Because we're the best team in the competition and winning a trophy is the next stage in the development of this side. This should be our best opportunity to win European silverware since 1984.

Because we're the best team in the competition and winning a trophy is the next stage in the development of this side. This should be our best opportunity to win European silverware since 1984.

We are the best side in it IMO too

It's whether we take it serious or not

It's probably our best route into the champions league next season and couple that with a trophy it would be brilliant

I'd LOVE us to win a trophy, especially a European one. But the bolded bit is just nonsense, i'm sorry

Bookmakers make us second favourite behind United, and we're definitely a better side than them (yesterday's result would only have been the away leg after all).

We are the best side in it IMO too

It's whether we take it serious or not

It's probably our best route into the champions league next season and couple that with a trophy it would be brilliant

Our chance of finishing in the top 4 is much higher. One bad result and you're out of a cup.

With no obvious Seville/Dortmund in the competition, we really should be winning it this year. Roma are probably the biggest threat, maybe Schalke.

Anyone belittling this competition:
1) needs to remember the 1992-2006 when qualifying for it was our ever illusive dream
2) should have attended games over the past 3 seasons to have witness the rebirth of new Tottenham side (the emergence of Kane and co., Lamela's rehabilitation etc., 1882 Movement tackling the atmosphere problems etc.)

The FA Cup is the one we should go all out for. If we get to the last 16 of the EL then play a full strength team from then on. Until then, play the kids.

I can't stand this competition but we haven't had to play in the ridiculous group stages, Man Utd are laughably favorites to win this, we're 2nd favs, there's Roma and then a lot of also ran's, this looks very winnable and the carrot for me more than the trophy is the CL entry of course. And to those who talk about winning trophies, the europa won't exist in 10 years and who talks about when they won the cup winners cup? remember that one ?

Indeed. For me a big part of it is that I'd much rather have the chance to see Spurs play in some big venues in Europe and for us to prove ourselves, bar a run here and there we have always been found wanting when it comes the real competition aspect. Success breeds success and up until we reach it the circle jerk of our style and youth can pass the time but it can't be the sole objective.

This will also see players given more time on the pitch that perhaps wouldn't have been available, one would hope it could lift maybe Janssen or Sissoko in to some form; Winks is in a position where he should be playing regularly as well. It's the squad management to enable us to compete on all fronts, after considerable time to shape the squad, realistically though when it comes to it we all know what happens. I've been impressed by Pochetino at times, but my main doubt of him coming here was that he hasn't won trophies as of yet. Either we should have the squad depth needed, or we need to make some savvy moves in January which I doubt we will attempt. But here is a chance to display the determination and tenacity needed to actually win something, hopefully a nice draw to start off with would help.

The FA Cup is the one we should go all out for. If we get to the last 16 of the EL then play a full strength team from then on. Until then, play the kids.

FA cup = EL
EL cup = CL

Plus we know there are 5 other very strong teams in the FA cup at this point in time.

There's also only two (should be fairly easy + no parallel LC commitments) games until the last 16.

Bookmakers make us second favourite behind United, and we're definitely a better side than them (yesterday's result would only have been the away leg after all).

Yeah, didn't the bookies make us favourite to get through our CL as well?
Definitely a better side than Man U? Even though we limply lost to them yesterday when it was THEM that had to play on Thursday and AWAY in the far reaches of the Ukraine?

Has supporting Spurs all these years taught you nothing about "definitely being the better side"??
Sometimes tactics, coaching and know how from a manager can trump many things: our manager is probably the LEAST experienced in actually WINNING A TROPHY out of all the teams. Not knocking Poch but PLEASE STOP with the hyperbole.

FA cup = EL
EL cup = CL

Plus we know there are 5 other very strong teams in the FA cup at this point in time.

There's also only two (should be fairly easy + no parallel LC commitments) games until the last 16.

We're in touch with the top 4 (3 pts behind). The EL is a massive slog just to get to the semis. What did Liverpool have to show for their EL run last season? An 8th place finish. IF we get to the last 16 or last 8 then I would be willing to revise my opinion but this tournament is like groundhog day for us i.e. we get to the last 16 then crash out, almost like the competition is designed to keep teams in it rather than prepare them for the big jump to the CL.

Utd draw St-Etienne

mourinho-phone-rex_3525134b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back