• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League Draw - Gent (BEL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Seeded:

FC København (DEN)
Lyon (FRA)
Tottenham (ENG)
Besiktas (TUR)
Fenerbache (TUR)
APOEL (CYP)
St. Etienne (FRA)
Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS)
Roma (ITA)
Athletic Bilbao (ESP)/Genk (BEL) (Genk need a draw against Sassuolo tomorrow to finish top)
Ajax (NED)
Shaktar Donetsk (UKR)
Schalke 04 (GER)
Fiorentina (ITA)
Sparta Praha (CZE)
Osmanlispor (TUR)

Unseeded:

Rostov (RUS)
Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER)
Legia Warzawa (POL)
Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL)
Manchester United (ENG)
Olympiakos (GRE)
Anderlecht (BEL)
AZ Alkmaar (NED)
Astra Giurgiu (ROM)
Genk/Athletic Bilbao
Standard Liege (BEL)/Celta Vigo (ESP)
Gent (BEL)
Krasnodar (RUS)
PAOK (GRE)
Hapoel Beer Sheva (ISR)/Southampton (ENG)
Villarreal (ESP)

Away leg first, 2nd leg at home before the Stoke match. Based on what Pochettino hinted at, looks like that match will be Sunday 4pm

...nothing found to suggest seeding affects sequence of games any longer
Article 17.02d: "The UEFA Europa League group-winners and the four best third-placed teams from the UEFA Champions League group stage play the return leg at home"

Don't see a team on there who we should fear across two legs. Obviously, it won't be easy but this would be one year where I'd really love to see us take a real shot at winning it.

Objectively, we're the second-wealthiest side in that entire lot, only behind United. In terms of quality, I'd say we're roughly on par with United, Lyon, Roma, Villarreal and Schalke, but not one of them is conclusively better than us, man-for-man.

If we want to win this, we will. The question is, does Poch want to, or is it just another surrender job?

I sincerely hope he makes the right decision (from my point of view, anyway) come February.

So, assuming Genk don't get beaten later today and finish top of their group, our opponents will come from this list of 15, ranked according to their current UEFA coefficient:

25 Olympiakos (GRE)
26 Villarreal (ESP)
28 Athletic Bilbao (ESP)
35 Anderlecht (BEL)
36 Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER)
56 Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL)
59 PAOK (GRE)
63 AZ Alkmaar (NED)
66 Krasnodar (RUS)
67 Gent (BEL)
81 Legia Warzawa (POL)
84 Celta Vigo (ESP)
99 Rostov (RUS)
119 Astra Giurgiu (ROM)
161 Hapoel Beer Sheva (ISR)

and Man Utd's opponents will be one of these 14, similarly ranked:

14 Schalke 04 (GER)
16 Zenit St Petersburg (RUS)
17 Shaktar Donetsk (UKR)
24 Fiorentina (ITA)
32 Lyon (FRA)
33 Ajax (NED)
39 Roma (ITA)
40 Sparta Praha (CZE)
54 Besiktas (TUR)
55 Genk (BEL)
57 St Etienne (FRA)
62 FC København (DEN)
86 APOEL (CYP)
138 Osmanlispor (TUR)

Last edited:
Anyone except the Russian or Spanish sides. Spanish teams have an outstanding record in European games. Gent or Legia would be my preferred opponents.

Guaranteed either to be one of the top 5 ranked of the possibilities, or the one that's furthest away.

Athletic Bilbao, Villarreal, Olympiakos, Monchengladbach, AZ or Celta Vigo would be ideal. Any of them will do but Bilbao would be my choice, San Mames looks fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back