• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2020/21 - Round of 16: Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)

I think that it is because Dier was picked over Alderweireld at the beginning of the restart and bought straight back into the side after his ban.

I agree with you that Alderweireld did enough during Dier's absence to make him first choice but I don't think that Dier was as bad as you are making out before that. I worry that they are too slow to play together regularly.

For what it's worth, see links below to Dier's positioning vs Sheff Utd and his corner marking vs Palace. I think the Sheffield Utd goals are clearly more forgivable, and I'm not saying he's been horrific overall, but I don't think he's been great. (Appreciate these are just three one-off instances, but they're from a small sample of games, and obviously for a centre back each and every mistake can be very costly. Also appreciate that others were at least as at fault as him for the Sheff Utd goals!)

To be fair sounds like you and I aren't too far apart in our assessment. It's more those who see Dier as being the #1 CB and/or part of a very small group of title-winning starters that I find weird.

For what it's worth, see links below to Dier's positioning vs Sheff Utd and his corner marking vs Palace. I think the Sheffield Utd goals are clearly more forgivable, and I'm not saying he's been horrific overall, but I don't think he's been great. (Appreciate these are just three one-off instances, but they're from a small sample of games, and obviously for a centre back each and every mistake can be very costly. Also appreciate that others were at least as at fault as him for the Sheff Utd goals!)

To be fair sounds like you and I aren't too far apart in our assessment. It's more those who see Dier as being the #1 CB and/or part of a very small group of title-winning starters that I find weird.

That Sheffield United game was a horror show, front to back.

I think Dier is going to be one of the first names down on the team sheet under Jose, some fans will not like it but we shall see.

What do you think of the balance between him and Alderweireld? Do you think that they compliment each other or do you favour picking your best 11 players and trying to find a way of making it work?

What do you think of the balance between him and Alderweireld? Do you think that they compliment each other or do you favour picking your best 11 players and trying to find a way of making it work?

Good question mate, in all honesty it can work both ways at times. You would think that playing you best players together would be the way to go for sure but at times you have to look at the chemistry of certain players and go that way. At the moment i have a lot of faith that Sanchez is going to be a very good player but he is still young for a CB (24) and is prone to making mistakes.

Toby ( imo) is past his best but at the moment i think him and Dier are working well and although Toby is not going to get any better i believe Dier will and having the experiance of Toby alongside him will help him do that. Long term though (unless we sign another) i expect Dier and Sanchez to be the pairing.

I know there are fans who think Dier is not good enough but he has not really settled on/in a position but i expect to see him do that under Jose.

Good question mate, in all honesty it can work both ways at times. You would think that playing you best players together would be the way to go for sure but at times you have to look at the chemistry of certain players and go that way. At the moment i have a lot of faith that Sanchez is going to be a very good player but he is still young for a CB (24) and is prone to making mistakes.

Toby ( imo) is past his best but at the moment i think him and Dier are working well and although Toby is not going to get any better i believe Dier will and having the experiance of Toby alongside him will help him do that. Long term though (unless we sign another) i expect Dier and Sanchez to be the pairing.

I know there are fans who think Dier is not good enough but he has not really settled on/in a position but i expect to see him do that under Jose.

I don't disagree with you, I'd have Alderweireld ahead of Dier on performances, but not by a lot, and Dier is more vocal, which Mourinho likes. I am a little worried that we lack balance in our CBs but there are other priorities for this window.

Also depends on the general tactics....if low/medium block we dont need the pace of Sanchez so much.

I don't disagree with you, I'd have Alderweireld ahead of Dier on performances, but not by a lot, and Dier is more vocal, which Mourinho likes.

He is and i believe Jose sees him as a leader and one who will be his capt going forward. I know in todays game there are those who do not think a capt is that important but Jose does/will and he likes to see players with desire and a will to win no matter what. Which ( imo) Dier has in spades.

Lets be honest its still early days for Dier and his rebirth as a CH. He didn't play many games there (mainly due to the ban) but the games he played were encouraging. He looks focussed, mainly because he has a focus and a challenge to prove himself.
And prove himself he has too.... this really is last chance saloon for him as Jose quickly realised his DCM days were over and he's hoping he can settle down as a CH. Jose likes him so will give him every chance as he 100% has leadership qualities and will die for the team. If he fails though, what use will he be to us? A utility at best? Or perhaps he'd still have some transfer value we could eek out.

Lets hope it doesn't come to that, as i think he is captain material, and also if he succeeds it'll help delay the need of more CH's

He is and i believe Jose sees him as a leader and one who will be his capt going forward. I know in todays game there are those who do not think a capt is that important but Jose does/will and he likes to see players with desire and a will to win no matter what. Which ( imo) Dier has in spades.

I'm not sure that Dier is good enough to captain a side going where we would like to go. I'd love to be proved wrong.

I think Dier is going to be one of the first names down on the team sheet under Jose, some fans will not like it but we shall see.
He had some man of the match performances just before the shutdown and after it (with a couple of dodgy moments in other games). With more game time he'll improve as well.
Sadly, while still a decent player, Toby is past his best. I'm not saying he shouldn't get game time, but need to start looking to a future without him.

Toby is still our best CB quite easily for me. I don’t see Dier as a captain, you want your captain to be a guaranteed first choice player and one of the best players, Dier is neither of those. Not to mention we hardly struggled at the back during his suspension. Not saying he CANT be a decent CB but he’s not proved he is yet. I rate Dier more than Sanchez but having two slow CB’s isn’t a recipe for success so I would go for Toby and Sanchez. Personally I’m hoping we sign another CB in this window but can’t see it.

Our schedule is so insane that I wonder if we’ll be forced to rotate CBs more than usual? Might make sense to have Toby and Sanchez as one pair and Dier and Tanganga as the other?

Most 1st qualifying round ties were completed yesterday. There are two matches which remain outstanding due to positive coronavirus tests. The draw for the 2nd qualifying round is on Monday. Spurs will be seeded, below is a list of the unseeded teams. In advance of the draw UEFA will probably arrange the teams into "mini-groups" so that actually Spurs will only have 5 or 6 teams that they could be drawn to face.

Europa League 2nd qualifying round - unseeded teams:
Kukës (ALB)
Servette (SUI)
Aris Thessaloniki (GRE)
OFI Heraklion (GRE)
Ventspils (LVA)
Olimpija Ljubljana (SVN)
Lincoln Red Imps (GIB)
Bačka Topola (SRB)
NK Osijek (CRO)
IFK Göteborg (SWE)
Hammarby (SWE)
Bodø/Glimt (NOR)
Viking Stavanger (NOR)
Progrès Niederkorn (LUX)
Riteriai (LTU)
CSKA-Sofia (BUL)
Budapest Honvéd (HUN)
Kaysar Kyzylorda (KAZ)
Neftçi (AZE)
Shamrock Rovers (IRL)
B36 Tórshavn (FRO)
Lokomotiv Plovdiv (BUL)
Botoşani (ROU)
Piast Gliwice (POL)
Hibernians (MLT)
Dunajská Streda (SVK)
Laçi (ALB)
Teuta (ALB)
Renova (MKD)
Borac Banja Luka (BIH)
Sfintul Gheorghe Suruceni (MDA)
Coleraine (NIR)
Bala Town (WAL)
Lokomotive Tbilisi (GEO)
Nõmme Kalju (EST) or Mura (SVN)
Maccabi Haifa (ISR) or Željezničar (BIH)

Back