• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2020/21 - Round of 16: Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)

especially with no games in August.

Jose will field the U23s for the early rounds of the Carabao cup so to a large extent I wouldnt really view them in the group of games. Will be a separate group of players

History tells us what happens when we do that, so only have to worry about one game.

I wouldn't play them in the Europa either

I'm sure we wont. For that period, I'm expecting 3 rough teams:

- first choice team for the PL
- the likes of Winks, Lamela, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Gazzaniga/Hart, Alderweireld, back-up CF etc representing the core of the starting 11 for the EL
- Under 23s playing in the Carabao - fingers crossed for a lower league team

Obviously there will be some overlap but feels like that broadly works

I'm sure we wont. For that period, I'm expecting 3 rough teams:

- first choice team for the PL
- the likes of Winks, Lamela, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Gazzaniga/Hart, Alderweireld, back-up CF etc representing the core of the starting 11 for the EL
- Under 23s playing in the Carabao - fingers crossed for a lower league team

Obviously there will be some overlap but feels like that broadly works

Still don't understand what Toby has done to be lumped in with the rest of the backups, behind Dier and Sanchez!

Still don't understand what Toby has done to be lumped in with the rest of the backups, behind Dier and Sanchez!

I think that he re-established himself as first choice after getting back in the team towards the end of the season

I think that he re-established himself as first choice after getting back in the team towards the end of the season

I think it'll vary based on form and opponent next season. Dier + 1 other will be the general policy most of hte time I think

I think it'll vary based on form and opponent next season. Dier + 1 other will be the general policy most of hte time I think

I just find it bizarre how so many have Dier ahead of Toby in the pecking order. Dier’s barely played CB over the last couple of years, and when he has - I.e. largely since the return post-covid - he was at fault for the Man U goal, the Palace goal (with particularly atrocious defending), and positioned poorly for 2 of the 3 Sheff Utd goals. Whereas Toby has been very solid in that period, and better and more experienced than Dier before that. Don’t understand why Toby is being so downgraded and Dier so elevated - is it just because people like Dier’s mentality and think Toby is past it at 31?

I just find it bizarre how so many have Dier ahead of Toby in the pecking order. Dier’s barely played CB over the last couple of years, and when he has - I.e. largely since the return post-covid - he was at fault for the Man U goal, the Palace goal (with particularly atrocious defending), and positioned poorly for 2 of the 3 Sheff Utd goals. Whereas Toby has been very solid in that period, and better and more experienced than Dier before that. Don’t understand why Toby is being so downgraded and Dier so elevated - is it just because people like Dier’s meteorology and think Toby is past it at 31?

I think that it is because Dier was picked over Alderweireld at the beginning of the restart and brought straight back into the side after his ban.

I agree with you that Alderweireld did enough during Dier's absence to make him first choice but I don't think that Dier was as bad as you are making out before that. I worry that they are too slow to play together regularly.

I think that it is because Dier was picked over Alderweireld at the beginning of the restart and bought straight back into the side after his ban.

I agree with you that Alderweireld did enough during Dier's absence to make him first choice but I don't think that Dier was as bad as you are making out before that. I worry that they are too slow to play together regularly.
I think both Toby and Dier have began to look back to their best under Jose. I don’t think Dier lacks pace, mobility was more his issue but Sanchez plus one of them would be the ideal combination. Sanchez has also began to look better IMO, I think along with Tangana(sure I’ve spelt that wrong) we have good options and look to have a solid base....

I think both Toby and Dier have began to look back to their best under Jose. I don’t think Dier lacks pace, mobility was more his issue but Sanchez plus one of them would be the ideal combination. Sanchez has also began to look better IMO, I think along with Tangana(sure I’ve spelt that wrong) we have good options and look to have a solid base....

I favour Sanchez plus one too but I do think about this sometimes

Michael Cox thinks that the best centre back pairs have a dog (charges in) and a cat (holds back). I worry that in Dier and Sanchez we have two dogs.

Back