• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2013-14: Dnipro (UKR), Benfica (POR)/PAOK (GRE)

Re: Europa League 2013-14

Tromso face relegation battle and are angered by their FA not moving the league game scheduled sunday after their White Hart Lane vist.
Already a rather weak team, they're likely to rotate and spare some of their better players.
This is likely to be the weakest team we've faced in official game for a while, if we go all out we're going to murder them at home.
Good opportunity to rest some players, and to ease in new signings and inexperienced players like Chiriches, Fryers, Eriksen and Lamela.
Maybe kick start Adebayor and Lennon as well.

Not surprised of Simon Dawkins' inclusion in the squad. After we sold Bale, we were left with 3 recognised club trained players, UEFA demand 4 if 25 are to be registered.
Don't know whether Obika has club trained status, due to his loan spells, but there weren't many alternatives.
It was Dawkins or just 24 players. I wouldn't hesitate to play Dawkins though, he's done well in the MLS which is at least comparable to Tromso's quality.

Losing FA Cup finalists will not get entry to the Europa League from 2015, instead entry will go to the highest placed league club that hasn't otherwise qualified for European competition.

In response to another request by the member associations, the UEFA Executive Committee agreed that the UEFA Club Competitions Committee should make the necessary regulatory changes to allow the best-placed non-qualified domestic championship club to enter the UEFA Europa League from the 2015/16 season, rather than the domestic cup runners-up, should the domestic cup winners also qualify for the UEFA Champions League via the final championship standings.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/organisation/executivecommittee/news/newsid=1999120.html

1882 are doing the Sheriff game. Block 35. If you are interested buy seats near the back.

Alternatively start a thread on GG about how **** the atmosphere is. ;-)

Seems two of our opponents aren't doing too well in their domestic leagues:

Anzhi drew 2-2 at home to Amkar this weekend, leaving them bottom of the league with 6 points from 11 games (6 draws, 5 losses).

Tromsø lost 2-3, after being 0-3 down, at home to fellow relegation fighters Start. Had Tromsø won they would have climbed out of the relegation qualifying spot they're currently in and gone above Start on GD. They're now 4 points behind the team directly above them with only 5 games remaining. The Norwegian league ends on 10 November and we play them 18 days later.

Sheriff Tiraspol on the other hand are top of their league with 25 points from 10 games. Won 3-0 this weekend.

Tromsø have sacked their coach today and assistant coach Steinar Nilsen will be in charge for the rest of the season. He played a few games for AC Milan and Napoli in his playing career and rescued Tromsø from relegation in 2005 and 2006, taking over towards the end of the season both times. In 2005 they also managed to knock out Galatasaray in the 1st round of the UEFA cup, largely thanks to former Spurs goalie Lars Hirschfeld.

Guaranteed qualification to the knockout round:
Valencia, Ludogorets, Salzburg, Esbjerg, Rubin Kazan, Fiorentina, Dnipro & Tottenham Hotspur

It's written that we'll play Valencia.

and Soldado will score the winner.

So how does the next round work? Group winners play group winners?

So how does the next round work? Group winners play group winners?

has to be winners v runners up and then after that it is a draw. The only thing that makes sense. We were runners up last year and that was why we got Lyon who won their group i believe.

I don't mind who we face tbh. in some respects, I quite like playing a team from the CL because it has the feel of a glamour tie that would befit that competition. I'm looking on with interest as to who the 4 weakest 3rd place teams are in the CL as we will have a great chance of playing them.

As it stands it could be that we have a chance of playing Juventus, Ajax/Celtic, Porto or CSKA Moscow as likely weaker points totals from their 3rd place finishes by comparison to other 3rd place finishers in the other groups.

Tottenham v Celtic would be a cracking tie overall with plenty of passion and spice. Tottenham v Juventus would just be a real glamour tie and Tottenham v Porto would have course be a very warm tie.

First knockout round will be drawn with the 12 group winners + the four 3rd placed CL teams with best record from the CL group stage,
to be drawn against the 12 group runners up + the 4 other 3rd placed CL teams.
Teams from same EL group and same association can't be drawn against eachother.

Didn't want to start a thread on this but who's going to be on the plane to Tromso? Sandwiched between games against Man U & City I'd assume you'd pick the squad for the Sunday then send who isn't in the 18 even if that means it's our youth/development squad.

Reckon Villas Boas will at least send the guys that are on the bench.
Don't think it will be that different from earlier games, maybe 1-3 U21 players will get their chance.
I'd definitely have Sigurdsson playing, never know if this winter war will be decided by hólmganga.

I don't mind who we face tbh. in some respects, I quite like playing a team from the CL because it has the feel of a glamour tie that would befit that competition. I'm looking on with interest as to who the 4 weakest 3rd place teams are in the CL as we will have a great chance of playing them.

As it stands it could be that we have a chance of playing Juventus, Ajax/Celtic, Porto or CSKA Moscow as likely weaker points totals from their 3rd place finishes by comparison to other 3rd place finishers in the other groups.

Out of that lot, given our EL draw so far, it's got to be CSKA I reckon.

Tromsø were relegated today, finishing second from bottom on GD.

Back