• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2013-14: Dnipro (UKR), Benfica (POR)/PAOK (GRE)

jaysea67

Erik Edman
All the teams that have qualified for next season's European competitions are now known (subject to any appeals, licensing issues, etc).

Tottenham will enter the 2013-14 Europa League at the play-off stage. 62 teams will compete in this round – 29 winners from the 3rd qualifying round, 15 losers from the Champions League 3rd qualifying round and 18 teams starting in the play-offs. Assuming that the seeded teams win in the earlier qualifying rounds then the teams in the Europa League play-offs will be:

SEEDED
Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
Dynamo Kiev (UKR)
Sporting Braga (POR)

Stuttgart (GER)
Rubin Kazan (RUS)
Sevilla (ESP)
Standard Liège (BEL)
Udinese (ITA)
Fiorentina (ITA)
Spartak Moscow (RUS)
AZ Alkmaar (NED)

Club Brugge (BEL)
Besiktas (TUR)
Hapoel Tel-Aviv (ISR)
Sparta Prague (CZE)
PAOK (GRE)
Salzburg (AUT)

Genk (BEL)
Saint-Étienne (FRA)
Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR)
Lech Poznan (POL)
Trabzonspor (TUR)
AaB Aalborg (DEN)
Real Betis (ESP)
Anorthosis Famagusta (CYP)
Rosenborg (NOR)
FC Zurich (SUI)
Swansea City (ENG)
Eintracht Frankfurt (GER)
MSK Zilina (SVK)
Bursaspor (TUR)

UNSEEDED
Feyenoord (NED)
FC Utrecht (NED)
Maccabi Haifa (ISR)
Rapid Vienna (AUT)
Nordsjælland (DEN)
Metalurg Donetsk (UKR)
Levski Sofia (BUL)
Estoril Praia (POR)
Nice (FRA)
Sturm Graz (AUT)
Sheriff Tiraspol (MOL)
Omonia Nicosia (CYP)
Chernomorets Odesa (UKR)
Vitesse Arnhem (NED)
Maribor (SLO)
DVSC Debrecen (HUN)
Slovan Bratislava (SVK)
Atromitos (GRE)
IF Elfsborg (SWE)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)
Molde (NOR)
Grasshoppers Zürich (SUI)
Zulte Waregem (BEL)
HJK Helsinki (FIN)

Apollon Limassol (CYP)
Ekranas Panevezys (LIT)
St Gallen (SUI)
Neftchi Baku (AZB)
Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO)

Esbjerg (DEN)
Pasching (AUT)

Teams in bold have direct entry to the play-offs. Teams in blue are assumed, unseeded losers from the Champions League qualifying round.

The seeded teams may change depending on those teams that advance from earlier rounds, however those teams down to and including Saint-Étienne are guaranteed to be seeded if they reach the play-off round. Should Tottenham progress to the group stage they are certain to be in Pot 1.

The draw for the play-offs will take place on 9 August 2013 following completion of the 3rd qualifying round. The 1st leg of the play-off will be on 22 August with the 2nd leg one week later.

Re: Europa League 2013-14

You forgot to mention about teams that are in Group stage : Wigan Athletic (ENG), Bordeaux (FRA), Valencia (SPA), Anzhi Makhachkala (RUS), Freiburg (GER), Lazio (ITA), Vitória de Guimarães (POR)

It is really strange to find Wigan in group stage while we have to go through play off round. Looking at those teams, the EL looks much weaker than last season. Wish we will have better luck in EL next season.

Obviously the list can change and I know they draw it in sub sections so you have 6 seeded teams and 6 non seeded together so that you know there is a 1 in 6 chance of who you can draw for the play offs. Looking at that then Rapid Vienna or HJK Helsinki would be a nice draw although I would like the idea of Feyenoord despite the potential for hassle.

Why do you fancy Rapid? I would absolutely love that draw! The game would probably get moved to the Ernst Happel Stadium though, which is always a shame. The atmosphere in the Hanappi Stadium is always intense for the big games. It would be a fantastic experience for Spurs fans (plus a safe trip) while it would also represent a comfortable passage into the group stages.

On a separate note, Pasching from Austria must be the smallest club in the draw. Not even top tier in Austrian football, made the cup final, knocking out Rapid and Salzburg on the way. Not even sure they will be allowed to stage their home games in their own stadium.

Why do you fancy Rapid? I would absolutely love that draw! The game would probably get moved to the Ernst Happel Stadium though, which is always a shame. The atmosphere in the Hanappi Stadium is always intense for the big games. It would be a fantastic experience for Spurs fans (plus a safe trip) while it would also represent a comfortable passage into the group stages.

I fancy them because I like the idea of a draw against a team from somewhere that isn't too much travel, likely to be a good trip, winnable tie and also somewhere I haven't been before so that if I go its a first. Always liked the idea of Austria and going to watch Spurs there would be a good bonus.

On another note, Didn't they beat Aston Villa a couple of seasons back in the Europa League quite convincingly?

Rapid knocked Villa out in the playoffs in 2009 and 2010.

First time on away goals, second time 4-3 on aggregate after winning 3-2 at Villa Park, after Heskey put Villa 2-1 up on 77 minutes.

MON obviously put out some poor sides.

So last year we qualified through league position and went straight to groups, but this year Wigan win the cup and go straight to groups. Presumably we also improved our UEFA coeficient last year, so how does that work?

I think IL Hødd from my hometown, Ulsteinvik on the Norwegian west coast may be the smallest Club.

They are from a city With 8000 inhabitants, and narrowly avoided the drop from the Norwegian 2nd division. They won the cup though:)

They will probably not Reach the play offs though..

www.hodd.no

It is really strange to find Wigan in group stage while we have to go through play off round.
There is nothing strange about it. Wigan won the cup after all while Spurs were once again chasing the shadows of the Champions League rather than trophies.

So last year we qualified through league position and went straight to groups, but this year Wigan win the cup and go straight to groups. Presumably we also improved our UEFA coeficient last year, so how does that work?
Because last season the winners of the FA Cup did qualify for the European Cup and left its place in the UEFA Cup to the league. So, 4th placed Tottenham took the place in the group stage which is actually reserved for the cup winners. It is different this year.

Because last season the winners of the FA Cup did qualify for the European Cup and left its place in the UEFA Cup to the league. So, 4th placed Tottenham took the place in the group stage which is actually reserved for the cup winners. It is different this year.

That wasn't the reason. It was because Chelsea won the Champions League which meant that despite us technically qualifying for the tournament we had to surrender the place to Chelsea under the rules of the competition. Liverpool qualified as a beaten finalist in the FA Cup and would normally have been given the Group stage place but we were given it instead as that is the rule and the FA Cup Winner/Finalist then takes the Play Off place that normally goes to 5th place. I guess its a way of compensating the club that has been kicked out of the champions league despite qualifying and guaranteeing them at least the 6 games in the group stage.

The order of priority is:
1 FA Cup winners
2 Qualified through league
3 League Cup winners
4 FA Cup runners-up

Liverpool wouldn't have got the group stage spot last year.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has dismissed the appeal by Malaga against their one-year suspension from UEFA competitions. Real Betis will take the Spanish place in the Europa League play-offs (as in the OP).

A Feyenoord fixture would be very interesting. If I remember correctly they aren't to fond of us

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has dismissed the appeal by Malaga against their one-year suspension from UEFA competitions. Real Betis will take the Spanish place in the Europa League play-offs (as in the OP).

I thought Sevilla got the place instead? Im sure that it actually should have been Rayo Vallecano but they didn't obtain a UEFA licence in time.

I thought Sevilla got the place instead? Im sure that it actually should have been Rayo Vallecano but they didn't obtain a UEFA licence in time.
Sevilla will indeed be the ones who will take Malaga's place in the Europa League. Real Betis qualified for the competition regardless of this scramble.

Back