• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Etienne Capoue

I think it's time to give Stambouli a try for some games. e at least has more pace to get about the pitch from what I've seen.

Perhaps move Mason further forward and play Capoue alongside Stambouli?

Defenitely worth a shot but a player like Stambouli will take a longer time to settle in and for other players to understand his thinking and movements, otherwise we'll still end up with more holes at the back that can be exploited.

If poch intends to put Stambouli in we need a lower defensive line to begin with. Would hate to see another player thrown into the chaos and wasted from game #1.

Defenitely worth a shot but a player like Stambouli will take a longer time to settle in and for other players to understand his thinking and movements, otherwise we'll still end up with more holes at the back that can be exploited.

If poch intends to put Stambouli in we need a lower defensive line to begin with. Would hate to see another player thrown into the chaos and wasted from game #1.

I think Stambouli needs to get a run and be told to stay in our half and cover for the FBs and mop up attempts at counter attacks. We need to get the team comfortable dealing with the fact that our attacking players loses possession quite a lot.

I think Stambouli needs to get a run and be told to stay in our half and cover for the FBs and mop up attempts at counter attacks. We need to get the team comfortable dealing with the fact that our attacking players loses possession quite a lot.

that's possible too, to get more focus into our blindspot areas. i haven't seen enough of stambouli to be sure but he looked good going forwards head on into play. is he as hungry chasing down someone that's gone past him ?

not me i think he is a pretty good player, not becasue of pass completion stats but in making the team tick over - not saying he is our new modric but he is the best option we have right now, and he plays that role much better than bentaleb, who may have equal pass completion stats but less presence in the centre of the pitch.

I think he is the trigger point for our teams problems.... The way he drops right back to pick the ball off of our centre halves slows the game down and allows our opposition to regroup (just as Stoke did so well yesterday) Then when the opposition get the ball and break he is nowhere to be seen (actually thinking about it I can usually see him, generally about 3 or 4 yards wrong side of his player).

Could you imagine any other 'holding player' in this league allowing a goal like Stoke's first being scored? Why do we never seem to find similar space in front of our opposition's defence?

Our centre halves look shocking at the moment no matter which two play it seems. I wonder if that is because they have zero cover in front of them?

The excuses for capoue's atrocious performances are quite frankly hilarious. As a DM your job is to protect the back 4 and pick up defensive positions that prevent the opposition from having a clear run at goal through the centre. Not only does this imposter 'DM' not do that but he doesn't provide anything from an attacking sense either.
He's just there.

The excuses for capoue's atrocious performances are quite frankly hilarious. As a DM your job is to protect the back 4 and pick up defensive positions that prevent the opposition from having a clear run at goal through the centre. Not only does this imposter 'DM' not do that but he doesn't provide anything from an attacking sense either.
He's just there.
It looks as though the majority are slowly coming round to our way of thinking and he is finally running out of people defending him on here..... I haven't seen a "Contributed 30% of all our passes" or "Was successful with 94% of his passes" type statistic for a few weeks now.

Hopefully Pochettino will also gradually catch on as most of our fans seem to now be doing. I am concerned at how long it has taken him to do so however.

As for who replaces Capoue - well it doesn't really matter to be honest - I think any of Bentaleb, Mason, Stambouli or Dembele could do a better job at protecting the back 4, hopefully every single one of them would also refrain from feeling the need to run back into line with our centre halves in order to take the ball when we're in possession.

Do you think there is any way we could prise Carrick away from Man Utd in January? (is he getting a game up there these days?)

Last edited:
not me i think he is a pretty good player, not becasue of pass completion stats but in making the team tick over - not saying he is our new modric but he is the best option we have right now, and he plays that role much better than bentaleb, who may have equal pass completion stats but less presence in the centre of the pitch.

He is a cheat. Plain and simple....

All he can do is pick the ball up in between centre halves and give laboured yet easy passes into the midfield - it is doing nothing for us and is an easy way of getting on the ball - put him under any sort of pressure and he flounders. Added to this, defensively he is bypassed every time a team breaks and he offers little if no protection. As a base fazio,kaboul and capoue has to be the worse in the league!

All he can do is pick the ball up in between centre halves and give laboured yet easy passes into the midfield - it is doing nothing for us and is an easy way of getting on the ball - put him under any sort of pressure and he flounders. Added to this, defensively he is bypassed every time a team breaks and he offers little if no protection. As a base fazio,kaboul and capoue has to be the worse in the league!

That triangle is most definitely where the root of our defensive problems lie. We need a proven premier league centre back and an international class holding player in January if Poch is to save himself. Tough ask but unless we fix this we will be a walk over for most teams.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

That triangle is most definitely where the root of our defensive problems lie. We need a proven premier league centre back and an international class holding player in January if Poch is to save himself. Tough ask but unless we fix this we will be a walk over for most teams.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I would just like to see our defence play without being hamstrung by having Capoue in front of them.... The holding midfield player is probably the most important cog in the team and sometimes when one part is performing so badly it has a major effect on everything else. Let's get our charlatan holding midfielder out of the team first and then assess the defence once it actually has a player providing a screen.

You need toure and kompany as part of that triangle if you want fullbacks not defending. Know where we can get players like that on the cheap? A more economical option is to ask our fullbacks to defend as first priority.

You need toure and kompany as part of that triangle if you want fullbacks not defending. Know where we can get players like that on the cheap? A more economical option is to ask our fullbacks to defend as first priority.

While I accept your sentiments, simply having a reasonably capable player in our holding position would make something of a difference for now. In fact I think even putting Mason in that position instead of Capoue would have a postive impact as I'm sure he would actually make an effort to get into position instead of making out as Capoue is currently doing.

No doubt Capoue's lack of mobility is his biggest weakness, and reduces the protection in front of the back 4, but to everyone who is acting as if he is the source of all our problems - I urge you to re-watch the second half against Asteris, as I just have. We constantly get ripped to pieces despite Capoue not being on the pitch, very often because there's no protection in front of the back 4. Stambouli's positioning and awareness doesn't cover itself in any more glory than Capoue's does, and it's frequently a system problem rather than an individual one - trying to press, but not doing it very well.

He's just there.

sounds like Huddlestone but with out the odd hollywood ball here and there to make him look good.

I will shed a little tear when he starts v Hull a week on Sunday, it makes me sad seeing him as a regular starter for Tottenham

I have a feeling all our old boys will be up for sticking it to us.

I think we all know what their tactics will be.

Sit deep and let Huddlestone hit long passes to Hernandez and El Mohamady. Dawson probably still injured, so no long, diagonal rakers from him.

Couldn't find his thread ..

Is he dead or what happened with him exactly??
He is the forgotten man . He was first choice in the beginning of the season and put in some good performances, then he faded away and played worse and worse until he was no longer in the starting 11 .

But he was never given a second chance,now he never ever plays, is there something more behind this ?? Has he had a fallout with Poch ? Injured ?

Back