• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Esteban Cambiasso

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we want a midfield general.. to make an impact on the starting team then we should be going for Bastian Schweinsteiger who IMO will not get many games for Bayern next season. Turning 30 he would be brilliant IMO.

Willing to pay 10m for him too.

If we want a midfield general.. to make an impact on the starting team then we should be going for Bastian Schweinsteiger who IMO will not get many games for Bayern next season. Turning 30 he would be brilliant IMO.

I'd be on board with this idea, although even with the prospect of playing few games for Bayern, I couldn't understand him wanting to leave.

I'd be on board with this idea, although even with the prospect of playing few games for Bayern, I couldn't understand him wanting to leave.

Totally. Schweinsteiger would be an instant improvement to our starting 11 and would bring a wave of optimism and exposure for the club in his wake. Cambiasso of a few years back would have been a good addition but now, no thanks.

There is nothing we can give him that would make him sign for us. He is playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. If he doesn't get to play for BM, then there are 20 clubs ahead of us in line for him.

Totally. Schweinsteiger would be an instant improvement to our starting 11 and would bring a wave of optimism and exposure for the club in his wake. Cambiasso of a few years back would have been a good addition but now, no thanks.

Ignoring that the possibility of us getting Schweinsteiger is remote, there's also the 'playing time' issue to consider: I doubt a 34 year old coming off his peak like Cambiasso would push to start every game, whereas a world-renowned 30 year old would. And that's a problem given that I'd rather see us build a young team on the pitch, with a few older heads scattered around the squad for experience and balance: to put it bluntly, I'd rather see Holtby given another chance in the deep-lying spot.

Ignoring that the possibility of us getting Schweinsteiger is remote, there's also the 'playing time' issue to consider: I doubt a 34 year old coming off his peak like Cambiasso would push to start every game, whereas a world-renowned 30 year old would. And that's a problem given that I'd rather see us build a young team on the pitch, with a few older heads scattered around the squad for experience and balance: to put it bluntly, I'd rather see Holtby given another chance in the deep-lying spot.
Yes of course Schweinsteiger is a bit of a pipe dream, but in hypothetical land there is no comparison between the him and cambiasso. And rightly so. Schweinsteiger's reputation is well earned and he certainly still has what it takes to play in the PL I think. Cambiasso? I doubt it.
2 years or whatever we get out of Schweinsteiger would mean a world star, maybe just past his peak but far better than anything we have in that position. I'm all for building for the future but sometimes Harry's pragmatic approach of getting results using tried and trusted players occasionally trumps that. And you could add that any young star would learn significantly from having Schweinsteiger around the place. Anyway not much point discussing it as it ain't gonna happen.

Hotlby looks more of a VDV type than a deep lying playmaker to me. He hasn't show the discipline for the deeper role nor might I argue has he got the required skills. I do like him though and but he would be better utilized further up the pitch IMO.

There is nothing we can give him that would make him sign for us. He is playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. If he doesn't get to play for BM, then there are 20 clubs ahead of us in line for him.

he who dares Rodney.. he who dares!

I rememeber when we tries to sign Effenberg back in 94 iirc......good times

I rememeber when we tries to sign Effenberg back in 94 iirc......good times

Actually, we DIDN'T try to sign Effenberg in 94 - even though he was apparently willing to join us and was available for not very much. That was the shame of it! Apparently, Igal Yawetz suggested him to the board but they fell about laughing. They found the name Steffen Effenberg to be funny. So instead of joining Spurs from Fiorentina, he rejoined Borussia Monchengladbach. *

We also very nearly signed him in 2001, near the end of his playing career. His contract with Bayern Munich was almost up and I remember watching the Champions League final that year thinking and hoping that his next competitive game could be in a Spurs shirt. Sadly never happened.

* It was also Igal Yawetz who heard about Zinedine Zidane and Christophe Dugarry and suggested them to Gerry Francis, only for Francis (who had never previously heard of Zidane) to watch him and, infamously, deem him to be "wooden" and therefore not good enough for Spurs. Arf.

Last edited:
Gazzetta dello Sport claiming that this transfer is close to completion. I've checked and he played with Pochettino for Argentina a few times, so he probably knows him well. I think its a good move, he'll be an informal at least 2nd man for Poch in and amongst the playing staff and will bring a bit of leadership and composure to our midfield.

Rewatch the game against us 18 months ago.. Parker ran rings around him.. that was 18 months removed. Only way I see this as a work is if he his joining the coaching staff and hanging up his boots. He should not be anywhere near the starting 11

If Poch wants him then thats good enough for me, he knows the guys ability and fitness levels better than any of us and lets not forget Poch seems very demanding on the fitness side of things. I can't remember how he did against Spurs, but Im certainly not going to be using that as a benchmark of how good he could be for us....

Gazzetta dello Sport claiming that this transfer is close to completion. I've checked and he played with Pochettino for Argentina a few times, so he probably knows him well. I think its a good move, he'll be an informal at least 2nd man for Poch in and amongst the playing staff and will bring a bit of leadership and composure to our midfield.

Meh

Rewatch the game against us 18 months ago.. Parker ran rings around him.. that was 18 months removed. Only way I see this as a work is if he his joining the coaching staff and hanging up his boots. He should not be anywhere near the starting 11

Rewatch the game AC Milan played against us a few seasons ago. Ibrahimovic was in Dawson's pocket all game and did f-all and Aaron Lennon gave Thiago Silva and Allessandro Nesta a torrid time.

Only way I see signing Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva signing for Spurs work is if they just don't bother and play for a Championship side. They should not be anywhere near our starting XI.

See what i did there :)

Wouldn't mind him. Particularly if it's in a backup/squad rotation type role. Would be slightly dubious if we bring him in and he's made a clear first choice or if we bring him in and Sandro is sold, but if he's brought in as an experienced head to have around the squad I would be all for it.

Theoretically we could also sell Capoue, bring in Cambiasso and free up £10m or so to use in other positions. As a backup/squad option the step down in quality might be overcome by the addition of experience and leadership whilst it might also help some of our youngsters.

I feel this would be like signing the Edgar Davids which left us - rather than the one which arrived - not sure he's up to Premiership football at all.

Rewatch the game AC Milan played against us a few seasons ago. Ibrahimovic was in Dawson's pocket all game and did f-all and Aaron Lennon gave Thiago Silva and Allessandro Nesta a torrid time.

Only way I see signing Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva signing for Spurs work is if they just don't bother and play for a Championship side. They should not be anywhere near our starting XI.

See what i did there :)

nO

I question his current ability. And if we sign him where does that leave Sandro and Capoue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back