• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Established 'top level' players we've signed.

Mulletperm

Milija Aleksic
Who was the last real top-level established played we signed? (and who are those top-level players we've signed). Player like:
  • Klinsmann
  • Van der Vaart
  • Davids
  • Lineker
  • Poyet
  • Lloris?

Having Davids and Poyet on that list lowers the bar imo, they were both in the twilight of their career when they arrived, as far down the curve as players like Eriksen and Alli were up it when they arrived.

Also, how do you define established, we paid big money for players like Ndombele and Sanchez, who were first choice at their previous clubs in European competition, then you have Verts and Toby, first choice for one of the best (on paper) international sides?

Davids and to a lesser degree Poyet were what I'd consider 'world known' players. I remember being blown away when reading that Edgar Davids was coming to Spurs. Was the same with Klinsmann.

I would say players like Ndombele and Sanchez were a bit of a gamble as they were young and promising, and could become world class.

I can think of quite a few in that case then,

Llorente
Gudjohnsen
Bale
Berti
Ferdinand
Ginola
Hart (lol)
Wanyama
Moura
Aurier
Sissoko
Soldado
Paulinho
Gomes
Defoe
Crouch
Dempsey
Parker
Bentley
Gallas
Jenas
Pienaar
Adebayor
Freidel
Keane
Mido
Kanoute
Mendes

You'd put those players in the same bracket as the likes of Klinsmann, Van der Vaart, Lineker etc? Have a word.

You'd put those players in the same bracket as the likes of Klinsmann, Van der Vaart, Lineker etc? Have a word.

At the time we signed them they were all “world known”, as you put it, mostly key internationals, one had just won the CL. Your list has tremendous range.

VDV skews things, probably because he worked out, Madrid wanted rid, hadn’t given him a squad number iirc and there was the accusation of intentionally injuring Sneijder putting clubs in Holland off.

Bonus pick, Steffen Freund.

Signing "real top-level established players" isn't our model - our model is to sign up and coming players who could become "real top-level established players".

In that bracket its Modric, Bale, Ndombele, GLC, Sessegnon, Sanchez, etc etc etc

Signing "real top-level established players" isn't our model - our model is to sign up and coming players who could become "real top-level established players".

In that bracket its Modric, Bale, Ndombele, GLC, Sessegnon, Sanchez, etc etc etc

I know that. Which is why I asked the question.

The only genuine superstar we've signed in modernish times is Klinsman.

VDV was on the ring below but a genuine name, the rest were either on the rise or the way down. It's not been out model especially under ENIC to buy stars but or the most part that has worked for us.

We should really be trying to stay in the Dortmund/Lyon/A Madrid zone of buying up and coming talent. That is what has served us best, Bale, Dele, Modric etc etc.

The only genuine superstar we've signed in modernish times is Klinsman.

VDV was on the ring below but a genuine name, the rest were either on the rise or the way down. It's not been out model especially under ENIC to buy stars but or the most part that has worked for us.

We should really be trying to stay in the Dortmund/Lyon/A Madrid zone of buying up and coming talent. That is what has served us best, Bale, Dele, Modric etc etc.

Want to like this post a thousand times. I also think that these way can bring some results, A. Madrid have won a league title like that. Also think each generation you get closer to the top and also think the is a shelf life on players like dele and kane at a club. Both have been first team players for 5 years and i wonder if their motivation hasjust waned a bit.

Want to like this post a thousand times. I also think that these way can bring some results, A. Madrid have won a league title like that. Also think each generation you get closer to the top and also think the is a shelf life on players like dele and kane at a club. Both have been first team players for 5 years and i wonder if their motivation hasjust waned a bit.
I believe that is the strategy but who knows
I also do think that the short term needs had to accounted for though hence an older player like Doherty

Back