1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Dier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jul 2014.

1. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

I do wonder if some passages of play have gone against Dier in recent weeks:

- The missed chance for Antonio just after we scored (and after a Kane backpass to Dier); LUCKY LUCKY escape
    - The last minute goal that Trossard scored in our loss to Brighton
    - The intercepted pass that Norwich missed just after we went a goal up...

Anyway, the less games he plays for England the fresher he is for us which might be even more crucial in Conte's system

MKSpur and Bullet like this.
  2. johnola

johnola Teemu Tainio

yep I would like to see him as a DM. In fact after we lost to Boro/Winks career ending game I was calling for it to happen!

3. Briddo1882

Briddo1882 Espen Baardsen

How can Southgate pick McGuire ahead of Eric totally baffles me. This season has been his best for about 4 years for us.

4. Bullet

Bullet Steffen Freund

He will.
    Only Kane and Tammy flippin' Abraham are strikers!

5. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

Dier doesn't do as much as other CBs in the league due to Conte's defensive setup and tactics. Less headers less tackles if you look at the stats.

Maybe he's good enough but he surely hasn't had a lot of chances to show what Southgage is looking for.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Last edited: 25 May 2022
  6. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Be nice for him to quickly chalk off Rooney's record in these games, so he can then fully concentrate on the big one in the autumn (Greaves')

7. El Guepardo

El Guepardo Christian Ziege

I think Coady partly gets in as he’s good for the dressing room atmosphere. Remember what was said about him being a key player off the field in the Euros? That’s not going to be overlooked and he won’t expect to necessarily be selected.

Dier deserves international recognition again but maybe it’s going to help him to be on top of his game next season so as to fight for a place in the World Cup squad. I also think some of what Southgate said yesterday suggested that if he was to name a World Cup squad now that this might not be it. I could be wrong but he seemed to say he wanted to give players a chance to show what they can do.

8. DubSpur

DubSpur Tim Sherwood

When was the last time that Dier got the chance to show what he can do for England? Southgate is brutal. If he's going to go to a back 3 then Dier and White have to be two of the three.
    Saying that, I'm happy that he's left out, just wish he'd leave Kane out the odd time too.

Robbo and elyid like this.
  9. elltrev

elltrev Kasey Keller

As an aside, I really like that Southgate picks players based on England form, even if their club form hasn’t been great. History has shown that club performances don’t necessarily equal country performances.

harr1984, johnola and metalgear like this.
  10. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

11. johnola

johnola Teemu Tainio

Southgate has his team like a club side and it takes something exceptional to break in.

Rice and Foden managed to take advantage of absences to get in the team but Dier isn’t so outstanding he must be picked is he.

12. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull