• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

We have been blessed with influential players, so captaincy is no problem. We have the captain of France and the captain of England. Now we know there are some good and influential players în those groups and our guys are the cream. Dier has to be behind these two.

No leadership in yesterday's game against Brighton.
He shouts and points all the time. Don't confuse that with leadership.

He's also not a natural central CB. In a three they are expected to set pace, lead a very dynamic line to disrupt the attack and get stuck in, defend and win the early balls.

Also Dier is not a natural CB that goes full on in to win headers and turns his back on a shot too often for my liking. Also too slow to maintain a high defence line.

Nice guy, good servant and still in training to be a good CB, good option on the bench but we need more inspiration from the Central CB role.

Brighton's very dynamic and aggressive defenders were the basis of their continued impressive form.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk
79154c3de8821a4bd8a7fc85f27173f5.jpg

Last edited:
Hate is such a strong word.

Perhaps one poster who deeply cares about how we are underperforming and ruthless with player evaluations.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk
I think Dier has been above average compared to his peers this season and more joyously well above his own performances from the last 2/3 seasons (while acknowledging the mitigating circumstances during those seasons).

Previously he was still in the early stages of reinventing himself as a full time CB, so I'd cut him some slack as he settles into a role that he is essentially learning. Now we play in a 3 the CCB spot suits him, and it's only since Conte arrived he's had chance to play it, and since then I can't really find fault in most of his play/performances.

There are probably better players out there to play the role, but I guess they'll cost £50/60m, so that won't be happening. But there is also certainly no-one better at the club to play that role, so ruthless assessment or not, he'll be starting.

I think Dier has been above average compared to his peers this season and more joyously well above his own performances from the last 2/3 seasons (while acknowledging the mitigating circumstances during those seasons).

Previously he was still in the early stages of reinventing himself as a full time CB, so I'd cut him some slack as he settles into a role that he is essentially learning. Now we play in a 3 the CCB spot suits him, and it's only since Conte arrived he's had chance to play it, and since then I can't really find fault in most of his play/performances.

There are probably better players out there to play the role, but I guess they'll cost £50/60m, so that won't be happening. But there is also certainly no-one better at the club to play that role, so ruthless assessment or not, he'll be starting.

A full preseason for him and those around him working to further integrate the current system. More time for him in this CCB role. I see no reason to think he won't keep putting in very good and excellent performances.

Definitely agreed on him having needed time to get used to playing as a centre back at this level. Had the plan been a back four with him as our LCB I would have been less optimistic though. This role is made for him.

I use to look at the Italian national cb's and think they are too slow and cant pass but they hardly ever get caught out. Well organised cb's often out perform talented individuals in that role. Sometimes you just get players who fit together whatever their short comings.

Was never a fan of his before this season, admittedly he’s been dogged by injuries but I never saw what some people saw in him up until this season, by far the best season of his career and his the best he has played since the early Poch days. I’d say we need another CB who is as comfortable on the ball as Romero and we’d be good to go next season. I wouldn’t say it’s an area Dier excels in, but he’s good enough, a hell of a lot better than someone like Sanchez for example, you don’t need all of your CB’s to be world class passers.

Was never a fan of his before this season, admittedly he’s been dogged by injuries but I never saw what some people saw in him up until this season, by far the best season of his career and his the best he has played since the early Poch days. I’d say we need another CB who is as comfortable on the ball as Romero and we’d be good to go next season. I wouldn’t say it’s an area Dier excels in, but he’s good enough, a hell of a lot better than someone like Sanchez for example, you don’t need all of your CB’s to be world class passers.
I know it’s not the main point of your post, but for me I think Dier’s first season in CM under Poch was his best season. He’s rightfully a CB now though, CM days are long gone.

Back