• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

But that’s not Dier’s fault and he does have leadership qualities which are sorely lacking elsewhere as evidenced by the whole team playing like headless chickens for the last 20 min of Wednesday’s game. Harry Kane doesn’t cut it in that regard despite being England captain. As others have said we needed to be stronger in central defence and midfield to manage out the game properly. Maybe Bentancur will become a leader but he’s barely been here 5 minutes and maybe Skipp will become that player in time but still I’d hope we strengthen our spine with what’s required come summer.

Fair point about a lack of leaders. I guess it just depends what you want from your captain. Dier does have leadership qualities, I’d just want my captain to also be a player who close to an automatic first choice.

Fair point about a lack of leaders. I guess it just depends what you want from your captain. Dier does have leadership qualities, I’d just want my captain to also be a player who close to an automatic first choice.

Agreed. Anyway we won’t be changing captain until Hugo leaves or gets dropped I suppose. For the rest of the season Eric Dier is nailed on as a starter as long he’s fit (rightfully).

He has been very good this season. Completely disagree he has been solid for years. Certainly wasn’t last season. We have bigger problems to address than Dier but he wouldn’t have even been considered as a candidate for captain under Poch as your captain is usually pretty close to undroppable, which doesn’t describe Dier very well in the Poch years.
Both Hugo and Kane deserved to be dropped at times due to tinkle poor performances but never did because of who they are. Dier has had similar problems but because he is not one of the billy big balls his position is always under threat and is always the spacegoat amongst Spurs fans. I truly believe that Dier is Tottenham through and through and always gives his best when out on the pitch even when his best is not good enough. Can't say the same for Harry i'm afraid.

Both Hugo and Kane deserved to be dropped at times due to tinkle poor performances but never did because of who they are. Dier has had similar problems but because he is not one of the billy big balls his position is always under threat and is always the spacegoat amongst Spurs fans. I truly believe that Dier is Tottenham through and through and always gives his best when out on the pitch even when his best is not good enough. Can't say the same for Harry i'm afraid.

Lloris and Kane have more credit in the bank than Dier but I’d agree they both should have been dropped at various times. I don’t question Dier’s love for Spurs, I just don’t think he’s good enough ability wise to be a captain. It’s not Dier’s fault the team has regressed and he is now considered such an important player but again that’s more down the squad being mismanaged and the recruitment side being so woeful.

Lloris and Kane have more credit in the bank than Dier but I’d agree they both should have been dropped at various times. I don’t question Dier’s love for Spurs, I just don’t think he’s good enough ability wise to be a captain. It’s not Dier’s fault the team has regressed and he is now considered such an important player but again that’s more down the squad being mismanaged and the recruitment side being so woeful.
What credit do Lloris and Kane have in the bank? All them trophies they won for us?

I don’t even think there is an established CB outside of the top 6 in this league who would be a noticeable upgrade on Dier.

What credit do Lloris and Kane have in the bank? All them trophies they won for us?

I don’t even think there is an established CB outside of the top 6 in this league who would be a noticeable upgrade on Dier.

Really? Kane and Lloris have performed at a much higher level of their careers at spurs than Dier, I don’t think that’s even debatable. A player may love the club but that alone doesn’t make him captain material.

As I said before, we’ve got bigger issues to address than Dier; Sanchez, Davies, Winks Hojbjerg, Royal etc. but at the very least I think he is upgradable.

Been our best player this season when he has played and been solid for years.

Yep, he was badly affected by the ilness he had and struggled to get over it ( it was about that time the haters stared on him), but this season he has been our best CB and i think Conte sees him as a regular for him.

Lloris is the best keeper in France. Kane is the best CF in England…. Dier isn’t even close to being the best CB in London.

Yep, he was badly affected by the ilness he had and struggled to get over it ( it was about that time the haters stared on him), but this season he has been our best CB and i think Conte sees him as a regular for him.
He is a first tam player for us with the limited options we have now. We might be able to scrape 4th place if he stays a first team option. If we want to be challenging for titles then he needs to become a squad player. There are probably 3 other positions that need upgrading before him however.

He is a first tam player for us with the limited options we have now. We might be able to scrape 4th place if he stays a first team option. If we want to be challenging for titles then he needs to become a squad player. There are probably 3 other positions that need upgrading before him however.

You may be right but as it stands he looks like Conte sees him as a long term CB, we have a couple of others who may be shifted before him ie Sanchez and Rodon and i do not see us getting rid of three quickly.

You may be right but as it stands he looks like Conte sees him as a long term CB, we have a couple of others who may be shifted before him ie Sanchez and Rodon and i do not see us getting rid of three quickly.
I’m not sure he sees him long term but he definitely sees him as one for now

I've just had a look at the England team's central defence.

There's not one there I'd pick over Dier.

For a man so down on English players and English football philosophy in general, I’ve never quite understood your high rating for Dier. He got ample opportunities for England and made mistakes which led to him being dropped.

For a man so down on English players and English football philosophy in general, I’ve never quite understood your high rating for Dier. He got ample opportunities for England and made mistakes which led to him being dropped.
His injuries and illness led to his form dropping off a cliff and he was rightly dropped. Now he's getting back to that form that got him into the England team he should be getting into England squads again.
Do you really consider Maguire, Stones or Mings as better options? They all have big mistakes in them and Dier has been a lot better than any of those three this season.
Stones hardly gets a look in at City, Maguire is rubbish and Mings has had some horror shows this season.

Back