1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Dier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jul 2014.

1. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

Yep
    He didn’t duck though

thfcsteff likes this.
  2. harr1984

harr1984 Steffen Iversen

I’ve been critical of Dier for certain things in the past, but one area not of concern is him putting his body on the line - I can’t think of a defender of ours who consistently has blocked more shots than him. There is some weird obsession on here that every goal has to be pinpointed on someone, it really is reaching to blame Dier for this one….

metalgear and parklane1 like this.
  3. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

He moved out of the way of the ball - if you want to be anal about how that's described is up to you

And @harr1984 i don't think anyone is blaming him for the goal as such, but any time you concede a goal there will always be several instances where you could have prevented it - not moving out of the way when a shot is heading towards you is one of those. I don't doubt that it will have been pointed out at Hotspur Way when the game was analysed.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2021
    metalgear and braineclipse like this.
  4. Bedfordspurs

I’ve just rewatched it
    He is actually moving towards where he thinks the balls going bug it’s spinning away from him as it’s curving the other way
    He actually moves his head to his right which is where a straight shot would go
    Prime have a great reverse angle of it

Last edited: 30 Dec 2021
    thfcsteff likes this.
  5. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Picky, perhaps. Did it again later in the game too. If that's fine with you, do be it.

Next time he has a chance to block a shot and he does the same and it's fine in your book then?

6. billyiddo

I watched the game on Prime and the angle from the goal line is the one I'm referencing

7. Bedfordspurs

Where he moves his whole body to the right and then his head but the ball is spinning to his left as it curls?
    i mean he abs no way of knowing the ball is curling abs how fast it’s going but he can see that if it stays straight it’s hitting his head where he has moved it
    Of all the players for people to say he is ducking the ball he is the last one in our team who does that. I’ve only seen one player do that in some time and that was a while back

8. Bedfordspurs

Did what later ?
    They only had one shot after the goal

9. billyiddo

The one that showed him moving his head out of the way of the ball.

10. braineclipse

So one moment if he even expected the shot is up for discussion. Next moment not only did he expect the shot. He had time to evaluate the trajectory of the ball and expertly move his head to what he saw as the point where the ball wash moving.

What's next?

11. Bedfordspurs

I’ve just watch it again and it shows him trying to head the ball where he thinks it’s going. The straight line shot. He literally moves his head when the ball is coming to head it
    I had a great paused angle from the front that looked like he was ducking it and I thought maybe you were right but the next angle shaped him try to head the ball. If he was ducking his head would go right not left surely

12. billyiddo

Hey mate you disagree that's fine - i know what i saw and it doesn't involve me guessing where Dier thought the ball was going

13. Bedfordspurs

Yeah go and watch it again
    In the 0.6 seconds it took for the ball to go in he stepped to his right which is the straight line for the shot and moved his head to “head the ball” but the spin of the ball (something he wouldn’t know that quick, takes sit away from him. He even closed his eyes to take the hit from the front angle.

14. Bedfordspurs

But it does involving you guessing what he was doing though
    As I say, dig him out for an error like he did late on. It was poor

15. billyiddo

This is laughable - I'm not guessing anything you loon I'm stating what i see which is Dier move out of the path of the ball

16. Bedfordspurs

And I’m stating that he is moving in the path of the shot if it’s hit straight. He even closes his eyes as he is expecting it to hit his head
    Who moves out the way and then closes their eyes?
    How would he know it’s spinning in an arc away from the guy kicking it when he is in front of it

Yiddo likes this.
  17. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

Sense at last. Thank you.

18. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

Almost every goal can be prevented. If anything Dier should have charged out earlier towards the ball to narrow the angle but there are risks there too.

Blame goes to outfield players for not covering that zone. We don't see our players getting that type of space. And we have many players who can strike from that range.

I think our outfield players were confused, didn't know whether to defend a corner or throw in.

Questions around who organises the defence in such situations. Keepers and CBs should be best placed to remind players of training instructions, unattended risks etc.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

19. braineclipse

Just before the 60 minute mark. Shot from Armstrong. More or less the same movement from Dier.

20. braineclipse

See it very differently to you. I don't think he's trying to head the ball at all.

He probably closes his eyes for the same reason he turns his side. There's a fierce shot coming more or less in his direction.

More or less the same movement he does on the later shot. Turning his side instead of standing wide.

For me this is not the way to try to block a shot. If it is to others, different opinions I guess.

metalgear likes this.