• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Sky reporting it as a dead leg, it's the only place I've seen saying what the injury is.
I thought it was that. Certainly trying to flex it and rubbing the thigh area. You follow/get to see more of this type of stuff when you're at the game.

Same as Gill ready to come on and then told to put a bib back on.

Any idea how long Son is out for?!
His dad got him into the ice trousers last night and afterwards he gave him a deep tissue massage and this morning Sonny did some light walking on the treadmill and then some light keepie uppies to keep things supple. He's gone to bed early with a bit of Netflix and will see how it feels in the morning, but right now he is hopeful and will switch off Netflix and go bye-byes when this episode finishes in 17 minutes.

Excellent today. He's like a new player this season. Hopefully his injuries are behind him and he can keep this level of performance up.

Still lost his player for their goal though.... He is brilliant at blocks and interceptions but unfortunately repeatedly prone to ball watching... hence consistently being at fault for these type of goals.

Still lost his player for their goal though.... He is brilliant at blocks and interceptions but unfortunately repeatedly prone to ball watching... hence consistently being at fault for these type of goals.
Likewise I thought he was pretty poor for their go although I don't place blame at his door. He is like you say very prone to ball watching when its in his area. He should have stuck a foot out instead of just watching it go past him .

He is really playing well this season, lets hope he can keep it up.
Defences are all about pairings. Get a commentary couple and it can look super smooth. Hell sometimes you can even just have one ridiculously good CB and that can make the rest of defence better (VDV at Liverpool is an example of this). So far this season the tactics and setup has made all of our CBs look better than they have down for us (even considering the losses).

Long may it continue.

This is the 3 way sandwich crunch tackle move at the 38th minute while we were leading 1-0.

It shows how Dier doesn't track runners in front of him. Romero is positioning for the cut back so the only play for the attacker is shoot at goal or cross between Romero and Lloris.

Dier actually makes good ground initially but loses the player towards the end when it would have counted. Villa would score like this later on. 20211004_084815.jpeg20211004_084830.jpeg20211004_085055.jpeg20211004_084851.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G998B using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

This is the goal. Romero makes a failed tackle, its a calculated gamble, we have bodies around and no imminent threat.

Dier actually sees the threat and proceeds to the near post but can't get there on time.

Alternatively he could have run to the centre of goal to get more time to reach the ball, alao being aware that there was no threat in front of him; conversely he didn't appreciate the fact there could be threat behind him... Blocking space at the same time would be a better choice.

Clean ball put through CB and keeper... Its a good move but I have two issues with Dier... (1) he needs to close down the area not leave it invitingly open (2) decision making... Going to behind loris would have been the correct line to take

Dier is slow, very simple weakness to exploit. Easy fix is what Nuno has implemented... Dropping the midfield deep to help with the CBs. With Romero, upgrading on Dier with a proper average PL CB would be affordable and immediately effective.

.pending-1633916530-20211004_093148~2.jpeg20211004_093406.jpeg20211004_093500.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the goal. Romero makes a failed tackle, its a calculated gamble, we have bodies around and no imminent threat.

Dier actually sees the threat and proceeds to the near post but can't get there on time.

Alternatively he could have run to the centre of goal to get more time to reach the ball, alao being aware that there was no threat in front of him; conversely he didn't appreciate the fact there could be threat behind him... Blocking space at the same time would be a better choice.

Clean ball put through CB and keeper... Its a good move but I have two issues with Dier... (1) he needs to close down the area not leave it invitingly open (2) decision making... Going to behind loris would have been the correct line to take

Dier is slow, very simple weakness to exploit. Easy fix is what Nuno has implemented... Dropping the midfield deep to help with the CBs. With Romero, upgrading on Dier with a proper average PL CB would be affordable and immediately effective.

View attachment 12858View attachment 12859View attachment 12860

I think these are solid observations. It's definitely an area for improvement. But I think it should also be remembered that these are difficult situations to deal with. One of our goals came in a similar way.

Get in behind, at least the threat of a cut back or a ball just outside the reach of the goalie, even if both of those aren't actually on.

Attackers moving quickly, can stop their run, can accelerate into the open space. Defenders have to react quickly and be aware both of the ball, at least one opponent and the spaces available.

If you end up in too many of these situations you'll concede against good strikers with good movement no matter who your defenders are.

Dier could have done better, but at the same time I think he had an overall good game with a lot of good involvements. Hopefully he'll improve a bit in these situations at some point.

This is the 3 way sandwich crunch tackle move at the 38th minute while we were leading 1-0.

It shows how Dier doesn't track runners in front of him. Romero is positioning for the cut back so the only play for the attacker is shoot at goal or cross between Romero and Lloris.

Dier actually makes good ground initially but loses the player towards the end when it would have counted. Villa would score like this later on. View attachment 12850View attachment 12851View attachment 12852View attachment 12853

Dier observations are valid but I would say this doesn't happen at source if Romero isnt a yard behind everyone else. If he'd squeezed up the LWB is offside or has to check his run and doesn't get in behind.

So many moving parts to a defence and lots of little faults can result in goals/chances.

I think these are solid observations. It's definitely an area for improvement. But I think it should also be remembered that these are difficult situations to deal with. One of our goals came in a similar way.

Get in behind, at least the threat of a cut back or a ball just outside the reach of the goalie, even if both of those aren't actually on.

Attackers moving quickly, can stop their run, can accelerate into the open space. Defenders have to react quickly and be aware both of the ball, at least one opponent and the spaces available.

If you end up in too many of these situations you'll concede against good strikers with good movement no matter who your defenders are.

Dier could have done better, but at the same time I think he had an overall good game with a lot of good involvements. Hopefully he'll improve a bit in these situations at some point.
You're correct that they are difficult situations where snap judgements have to be made but Dier is very prone to making these kind of decisions in key moments. It's just his nature. He's doing fine but I still think a first class CB addition will be in our interest in the long run. Dier and Sanchez can be ok but if we really want to get back up to the top of the table we likely need better than that.

From row 5 in the South it looked like Dier had a warrior's game, with some crucial blocks. Ok he may not be the most mobile but still had an excellent game overall.
For me a back-up centre forward would come before another centre back.
Agree
We have other CBS who we can play too
I think Dier is focussed on because of previous years not because of recent games which is normal but not necessarily fair

Back