• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

It was December 2018 he had appendicitis, not even 3 years ago, and it led to ongoing illness for months after. But don't let the facts get in the way...

If I remember right, he had a second illness or surgery later, after the appendicitis issues. The club were very vague about it, but whatever it was, I don't think he's ever been quite the same since. That may well have spanned the period when we lost Dembele and Wanyama as @harr1984 mentions above, so the illnesses might just be coincidental, but I feel they played a part in his deterioration. I would love it if he could find a level that worked for us, but I'm not really sure where that would be. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays this season but if he does, I think it will be his last with us.

Appendicitus was about 5 years ago mate, can't live off that forever

We lost 23 points from winning positions last season. Partly because of Jose’s negative tactics but also because the defence couldn’t do its job and see out games. CB was easily the weakest area of the team last season.

We lost 23 points from winning positions last season. Partly because of Jose’s negative tactics but also because the defence couldn’t do its job and see out games. CB was easily the weakest area of the team last season.

Which makes it very strange that the 2 clubs with similar problems sold their major centreback for good money in the summer.

Multiple issues really

- We sat too deep, you cannot invite that sort of pressure on game in, game out without consequence
- We have no leadership in backline, Dier & Sanchez (like players around VVD in Pool example) can do a job with someone else who is dominant and experienced
- None of our CBs are particularly good in the air (see Scum's game this week-end to see what happened in the PL when you suck in the air at CB)
- Confidence in the players/squad was shot.

Last edited:
Multiple issues really

- We sat too deep, you cannot invite that sort of pressure on game in, game out without consequence
- We have no leadership in backline, Dier & Sanchez (like players around VVD in Pool example) can do a job with someone else who is dominant and experienced
- None of our CBs are particularly good in the air (see Scum's game this week-end to see what happened in the PL when you suck in the air at CB)
- Confidence in the players/squad was shot.
Confidence fixes a lot of issues
Just look at Chelsea when they changed managers but didn’t change the players dramatically

Both Dier and Sanchez looked comfortable and made great plays - blocking shots, clean crucial tackles, timely headers. It's the best we've seen those two play in a long while and it can't be a co-incidence that Nuno's tactics created a better team effort in defending.

Whether it was cutting off midfield service to forwards or players tracking back with their man, all of it combined to give the CBs better defined roles to play. It doesn't mean we shouldn't add one more CB, but there's a degree of comfort building from both pre-season and the win over City that we're not in a defensive crisis.

Both Dier and Sanchez looked comfortable and made great plays - blocking shots, clean crucial tackles, timely headers. It's the best we've seen those two play in a long while and it can't be a co-incidence that Nuno's tactics created a better team effort in defending.

Whether it was cutting off midfield service to forwards or players tracking back with their man, all of it combined to give the CBs better defined roles to play. It doesn't mean we shouldn't add one more CB, but there's a degree of comfort building from both pre-season and the win over City that we're not in a defensive crisis.
Nuno's tactics, sure. But in one game with a fairly static situation. Us happy to block off the centre. Them getting into good crossing positions, but against a settled back line and with no target man. Us looking to attack primarily through counter attacks.

That won't be a viable tactic for most games most of the time.

Dier and Sanchez will have to prove themselves over time and in different game conditions for me to start changing my mind.

There are two good or at least decent players there I do think. For the right team, at the right time. Maybe that's us under Nuno, but that remains to be seen.

Nuno's tactics, sure. But in one game with a fairly static situation. Us happy to block off the centre. Them getting into good crossing positions, but against a settled back line and with no target man. Us looking to attack primarily through counter attacks.

That won't be a viable tactic for most games most of the time.

Dier and Sanchez will have to prove themselves over time and in different game conditions for me to start changing my mind.

There are two good or at least decent players there I do think. For the right team, at the right time. Maybe that's us under Nuno, but that remains to be seen.
Nuno made Coady a premier league high quality CB
He found a way for him to play and improve

Who knows

I can live with one of them provided the other is sold, but both of them together? Sorry but no. They’re not good enough on their own with a better CB holding their hand let alone as a partnership. Both did brilliant on Sunday but we need to look beyond one game and evaluate them over the course of 4-5 years they have been here.

Remember though that we also beat Emirates Marketing Project at home last season under Mourinho.

This one gives me greater confidence because of the overall team play and the way we showed more patience and control in the second half. Last year, after we took the lead, it was 'Kitty bar the door. We were spared a City equalizer from a dodgy hand ball call and we hung on for the win.

Back