• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

I’ll put it another way, I think he’s an ok defender and good enough to be a backup but not good enough for the standards we aspire to be achieving I.e. title challengers and CL contenders/outsiders. That coupled with his limitations on the ball says to me he shouldn’t be a regular starter for us.
In the long term I completely agree.
As it stands, with a third of the season gone, we are 14th and lack any fight.
I'd start him at CB every game he up to right now - teams will be looking to exploit our softness and lack of guile. Whilst he will certainly fudge a few things up, he is also to get the team and (more Importantly) the crowd get more "up for it". We are going to need that, otherwise it could be a very long November and December.

All due respect parklane, I don’t think he’s a kid anymore. Maybe to us old gits he is (I’m 35) but he’s an experienced pro now. He played 31 prem games in his first season and 23 last season. In my opinion he regressed slightly last season, thought he was excellent in his first season I might add. Ultimately I agree with finney, when should we expect that a CB of his quality to become comfortable on the ball? Shouldn’t take just under 2 1/2 seasons IMO.

He is only 23 for fudges sake which even in todays game is still young, 54 games in a new country, a different ( faster, harder) game, adjusting to a different country and way of life takes time for most folks. I have been lucky enough to have lived and worked in several countries and it does take time to adjust ( some more then others).

I can see a lot of promise in his play and IF he keeps improving then we will have player. Stop! Hammer time though.

He is only 23 for fudges sake which even in todays game is still young, 54 games in a new country, a different ( faster, harder) game, adjusting to a different country and way of life takes time for most folks. I have been lucky enough to have lived and worked in several countries and it does take time to adjust ( some more then others).

I can see a lot of promise in his play and IF he keeps improving then we will have player. Stop! Hammer time though.

Super hard to judge any individual performances in this team right now.

Age and flexibility of roles make him a worthwhile squad option that has a ceiling to be something more.

Maybe. I don’t think he is going to be a regular starter as CB for us
I could see him playing CM still but he would need to be fully fit for that

Out of interest, would you have him or Lovren who is the fill in CB for Pool and will win the league this year
Lovren. All day long.*

* I assumed we were talking about Dier here.

Think people are being overly harsh on him, I don’t think he was perfect - but he did his job well considering his lack of game time/new manager etc.
Agreed. Excited to see what he can deliver when he's got more games in him and gets used to the changes Mourinho brings in. Definitely a good start yesterday building on a couple of decent performances recently.

Hopefully he’s finally over his injury woes and can provide some of that grit we’ve been missing this year...

This shows how you can selectively pick stats to suit an agenda. I thought he was our weakest starting player by some margin yesterday. It seemed to me that he gave the ball away more than any other player in our team and that was without really being put under pressure by West Ham.

In total he gave the ball away 15 times, 13 bad passes and 2 instances where he lost the ball through to poor control. That is almost a quarter of the time that he was on the ball and far too high for a player playing in a defensive position.

I look at that starting team yesterday and can't help but think that replacing Dier and Sanchez with two proper top class players would make us a real top team.

Last edited:
Think people are being overly harsh on him, I don’t think he was perfect - but he did his job well considering his lack of game time/new manager etc.

My thought as well, he has had a rough time over the last year or so with illness and at times that takes a lot away from folks. I am sure that with more ( regular) game time he will turn into a important player for us.

Would be great if he got some games under his belt in CM then we can make an informed opinion on his future with us. He’s quite clearly rusty, but I would have thought that would stand to reason with the amount of time he’s had out, however it seems some people’s minds are already made up on him unfortunately.

This shows how you can selectively pick stats to suit an agenda. I thought he was our weakest starting player by some margin yesterday. It seemed to me that he gave the ball away more than any other player in our team and that was without really being put under pressure by West Ham.

In total he gave the ball away 15 times, 13 bad passes and 2 instances where he lost the ball through to poor control. That is almost a quarter of the time that he was on the ball and far too high for a player playing in a defensive position.

I look at that starting team yesterday and can't help but think that replacing Dier and Sanchez with two proper top class players would make us a real top team.

Possession? You are living in the past. We are in a whole new world now..

Mourinho's Inter beat Barcelona with 19% possession. He set the team up to get rid of it and get themselves back into a defensive block.

Read Diego Torres' book on Mourinho

Apparently Mourinho's principles are
  • The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors
  • Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition
  • Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it’s better to encourage their mistakes
  • Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake
  • Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake
  • Whoever has the ball has fear
  • Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger

Possession? You are living in the past. We are in a whole new world now..

Mourinho's Inter beat Barcelona with 19% possession. He set the team up to get rid of it and get themselves back into a defensive block.

Read Diego Torres' book on Mourinho

Apparently Mourinho's principles are
  • The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors
  • Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition
  • Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it’s better to encourage their mistakes
  • Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake
  • Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake
  • Whoever has the ball has fear
  • Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger
which all smacks of exactly the opposite of what Pep tries to do - and yet they have both have had success because they have had excellent squads of players who bought into what they sold, that was delievered with a lot of thought and intelligence

Back