• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Ok noted. Didn't know that was the case in England for 3pm games. Either way Dier was essentially unable to find a Spurs player with what seemed a majority of his passes out from central defence which meant Sheff Utd were constantly pressing us in our third.
Funny how things seem when clouded by judgment and how they can be contradicted with facts.

that’s helpful
So Dier is going the Toby role basically of pinging the long balls which aren’t alway successful
And he made some more shorter passes which didn’t make his man
Looks like what someone said further up... Dier was the one trying the passes forward as the rest of the team passed the responsibility on him

This is only his 2nd start in a row (the other 2 starts this season were a good month ago) and he's probably played less than 10 games total this calendar year - we can't expect him to be anything other than rusty. Same thing with Davies who had an op in pre season and is only getting up to full fitness now.

This is only his 2nd start in a row (the other 2 starts this season were a good month ago) and he's probably played less than 10 games total this calendar year - we can't expect him to be anything other than rusty. Same thing with Davies who had an op in pre season and is only getting up to full fitness now.

I don't know how to use the like button.

In the first half Sanchez on his stronger foot and Sissoko dropping back on his stronger foot refused to pass it forward. The sequences of passes when playing out from the back was always Sanchez 8 yards sideways to Sissoko who played it sideways to Dier on the left. And Dier was the one who had to play it forward with his weaker foot.
Sanchez will always be a weak point that the opposition can let have the ball knowing he isn't gonna pass forward properly. Same as he was at Ajax in that Europa League final.

Good shout. I really think Sanchez needs to be coached to play on either side as a centre-half. Given he offers so little on the ball it shouldn't be such an issue for him to switch sides. We've had Toby and now Dier having to switch sides to accomodate him. Its extremely limiting to have a centre half who is poor on the ball and can only play on one side of defence.

Watching on TV I thought Dier was very poor on the ball and seemed to be under-hitting and misplacing long passes but really it was just a consequence of what you've said above.

We are extremely limited in midfield at the moment. Sissoko does not want to take the ball off the centre halves and move it forwards (unless he's breaking lines - most effective on the counter really). N'Dombele wants to play further forwards and I don't think he can be fully trusted from a defensive point of view yet. Winks provides the play from the back option but then we lose physicality in the centre and become susceptible to the opposition playing through our midfield.

I'm starting to think a better option would be to bypass the midfield somewhat and hit longer balls into the channels for Son/Moura and get Kane close by. From there we'd be able to win 2nd balls and start our play higher up the pitch. We'd also be more effective at pressing to force turnovers if we hit long and then push the entire team shape up to support that. It should see us have more controlled possession higher up the pitch without the need to play a slow tempo game with no real idea of how to get the ball into forward areas.

I think Dier was trying to do that but because he was on the left side he couldn't perform it to a good enough standard.

Good shout. I really think Sanchez needs to be coached to play on either side as a centre-half. Given he offers so little on the ball it shouldn't be such an issue for him to switch sides. We've had Toby and now Dier having to switch sides to accomodate him. Its extremely limiting to have a centre half who is poor on the ball and can only play on one side of defence.

Watching on TV I thought Dier was very poor on the ball and seemed to be under-hitting and misplacing long passes but really it was just a consequence of what you've said above.

We are extremely limited in midfield at the moment. Sissoko does not want to take the ball off the centre halves and move it forwards (unless he's breaking lines - most effective on the counter really). N'Dombele wants to play further forwards and I don't think he can be fully trusted from a defensive point of view yet. Winks provides the play from the back option but then we lose physicality in the centre and become susceptible to the opposition playing through our midfield.

I'm starting to think a better option would be to bypass the midfield somewhat and hit longer balls into the channels for Son/Moura and get Kane close by. From there we'd be able to win 2nd balls and start our play higher up the pitch. We'd also be more effective at pressing to force turnovers if we hit long and then push the entire team shape up to support that. It should see us have more controlled possession higher up the pitch without the need to play a slow tempo game with no real idea of how to get the ball into forward areas.

I think Dier was trying to do that but because he was on the left side he couldn't perform it to a good enough standard.
No Dier just has poor passing execution over longer distances, it won't make any difference which side he plays on, he is not an accurate long passer. Apart of Toby we don't really have a bonafide long passer in the squad, Ndombele has aged a few so maybe he has it but that remains to be seen.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Once in a blue moon, that does not make him a reliable long passer. If I could be bothered to make a compilation of all his errant long passes the video would be rather long.

No Dier just has poor passing execution over longer distances, it won't make any difference which side he plays on, he is not an accurate long passer. Apart of Toby we don't really have a bonafide long passer in the squad, Ndombele has aged a few so maybe he has it but that remains to be seen.

I do not think anyone would say that Dier has great long pass ability, but then again i do not think he has a poor passing execution either.

His passing range is fine. Its not Toby level, but there are very few elite centre halves who can strike a ball like him. Can he hit accurate balls into the channels or into midfield? Yes absolutely.

I could post other clips of accurate longer passes from him too.

I do not think anyone would say that Dier has great long pass ability, but then again i do not think he has a poor passing execution either.

Well I suppose it depends on what you consider poor, I find his slow looped passes to be of the poor kind as they lack zip so the opposition defences are usually settled by the time they arrive assuming he gets it on target in the first place.

His passing range is fine. Its not Toby level, but there are very few elite centre halves who can strike a ball like him. Can he hit accurate balls into the channels or into midfield? Yes absolutely.

My thoughts as well.

Well I suppose it depends on what you consider poor, I find his slow looped passes to be of the poor kind as they lack zip so the opposition defences are usually settled by the time they arrive assuming he gets it on target in the first place.

I consider poor to be just that poor, and i do not think that is a fair judgement on his ability to pass the ball. But its all about opinons.

I consider poor to be just that poor, and i do not think that is a fair judgement on his ability to pass the ball. But its all about opinons.
Over longer distances I do think his passing is poor, shorter distances are not a problem. As you say it's a matter of opinion I know I'm quite harsh but I just have high standards. [emoji2379]

Once in a blue moon, that does not make him a reliable long passer. If I could be bothered to make a compilation of all his errant long passes the video would be rather long.

please do
I’ve heard so many time he can’t pass but when I’ve challenged people they never give examples

true
But at least he doesn’t get outrun by literally every player who goes at him.

Over longer distances I do think his passing is poor, shorter distances are not a problem. As you say it's a matter of opinion I know I'm quite harsh but I just have high standards. [emoji2379]

he could do what the pool centre back do and pass it wide to the full backs, but their brick currently and can’t pass themselves

In the first half Sanchez on his stronger foot and Sissoko dropping back on his stronger foot refused to pass it forward. The sequences of passes when playing out from the back was always Sanchez 8 yards sideways to Sissoko who played it sideways to Dier on the left. And Dier was the one who had to play it forward with his weaker foot.

The statistics obviously don't show this. Of course Sanchez passing stats looked much better as he played it safe and slowed the entire game.

Sanchez will always be a weak point that the opposition can let have the ball knowing he isn't gonna pass forward properly. Same as he was at Ajax in that Europa League final.

Yet he will be one here next season.
Because Sanchez is an excellent defender. So you pair him with someone who can pass or put midfielders in front of him who can take the ball from him. Whether or not Sissoko and Sanchez played it safe, Dier's passing was repeatedly poor and put us in trouble. That coupled with a poor defensive display ( not helped by Davies being poor too), made it a day to forget for Dier. But we can give him and Davies the benefit of the doubt until they have a run of games under their belt.

Back