1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Dier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jul 2014.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga Tommy Harmer Staff Member

I disagree about the formation. I think we've looked far better in a 4-2-3-1 with him and Dembele in the middle.

That also frees up space for Eriksen, Alli and Son to move freely in front of them.

2. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

For me, the 3421 we played for most of the season we finished 2nd to Chelsea is the best we have played. We haven't looked as strong since that season. Dele in particular has never looked so good, he was magnificent that season (18 league goals, 22 in all comps). That system was perfect for him.

3. scaramanga

I think we're talking about the same formation.

The flexibility of Dier, Alli and Eriksen meant that the back 2 could become a 3 whenever required and Alli/Eriksen could move between midfield and further forward depending on where the numbers were needed.

If you have 3 players as flexible and intelligent as that, then the two formations are very fluid.

4. 90291Spur

90291Spur Nick Barmby

For what it’s worth, an opinion on tactics:

Bullet likes this.
  5. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Frederic Kanoute

Happy to give him a fresh start next season, but please don't play him against ajax. Play Sissoko and Skipp.

6. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

Definitely a different formation, because a midfield of Wanyama and Dembele (with Dele and Eriksen infront of them) didn't need Dier joining it. Infact, it was Vertonghen and Toby who stepped into midfield from the back more than Dier did in that system, which became quite a strong feature of it as well.

7. scaramanga

Wanyama didn't play that season - played about 5 games from memory

8. scaramanga

Scary how similar that opinion is to that of many on here

9. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

When we finished 2nd to Chelsea was the 2016-17 season. He played 36 league games (and scored 4 goals, surprisingly). He was a beast that season and for most of it, it was him and Dembele in central midfield in a 3421 system. We got 86 points, only lost 4 league games and only conceded 26 goals (scoring 86 in the league). It's the best we have been under Poch for wins, points, goals for and against.

Finney Is Back and billyiddo like this.
  10. scaramanga

In which case that's not the season I'm thinking about.

11. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

I have only been talking about the season we finished 2nd to Chelsea, which has been our best level of performance under Poch so far.

12. billyiddo

billyiddo Paul Stewart Staff Member

That was our best season/team so far under Poch, no question

the dza likes this.
  13. fernadez

fernadez Jamie Redknapp

I remember that season we beat City at home and actually played a 4-1-4-1. Wanyama gave one of the best midfield performances I've seen in that game. Played in there by himself and absolutely ran the game.

14. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

We also smashed Hull away 7-1, I think in the last game, with Dier and Wanyama in a 4231 (I think Dembele was injured or suspended).

So as always with Poch, we could mix and match our systems depending on who was available. Think we started going with the back 3 mostly around December and into January. I remember Chelsea were on that great run of wins, they came to The Lane and we matched their system 3421, beat them 2-0 in a very controlled performance. And we seemed to stick with the 3421 for most of the season after that.

We finished so strongly that season, won 12 of the last 13 games. Such a contrast with this season.

15. scaramanga

I think the season I'm thinking of is the one where Leicester fluked it and we deserved to win it up until the last few games.

16. SylDave

SylDave Andy Booth

That game was early in the season September’ish if I remember right it was Guardiola’s first loss, we only started playing the 3421 against the rent boys at the Lane over Xmas, and I’ll go as far as to say those 5 months were the best I have consistently seen us play in my time(since the late 80s) never mind under Poch, and it was actually Davies and Walker that we’re the wing backs, Rose got injured away at Sunderland while still in the festive period.

IMO the problem this season as been the fact we have been playing either the diamond or 3 at the back most games just chopping and changing game to game, both systems require the full backs to provide the width, and with the lack of quality coming from Trippier, Rose and ironically Davies it’s made us easier to defend against, all our best performances this season have come when playing the 4231.

17. fernadez

fernadez Jamie Redknapp

That was the only time we've really looked good playing a back three. Since then it seems to take away from our attack now then it benefits, we end up changing to a back four mid game and playing better, don't know why we just don't start that way.

18. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

I think as much as we talk about systems etc. our players just aren't playing to the same level. Rose isn't as good now imo, neither are Toby or Vert. Dele hasn't been (possibly down to system, but his general play hasn't been at the level of that season either). But I really do think our defenders have all dropped, it's why we have lost so many games.

19. fernadez

fernadez Jamie Redknapp

Don't ever want to see us play a diamond again. Still haven't gotten over the Watford game this season after we beat Utd.

Legohamster likes this.
  20. Legohamster

Legohamster Vedran Corluka

He needs a summer to fully recover from injury and illness