1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Dier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jul 2014.

1. 90291Spur

90291Spur Paul Stalteri

Or that Sissoko has no hope of ever being a player who can make a decent contribution to our team.

thfcsteff likes this.
  2. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Andy Thompson Staff Member

Put simply, you dragged it from a debate to an absolute statement that “he isn’t a top drawer player” and having laid that down, you appear to have been upset by my response. Be honest Jurgen. As for this “Third Reich” gonad*s, that is man no ball studs halfway up my shin.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

3. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Jimmy McCormick

Sissoko is spelled wrong in the thread title.

4. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Rafael Van Der Vaart

I like posts that I like. I may agree, I may just think they are funny. Bit odd to hold my likes against me.

I dont bring him up every time as a measure of brickness, if I do its because its appropriate.

If I think someone is going OTT with the praise, I might balance that, same as any other thread/player. Its called discussion.

There is certainly an air of untouchable status around him. I was quite harshly talking about Rose last week, you think the conversation went anything like one involving Sissoko? It didnt. Not even remotely. It was a reasonable discussion on both sides without any of the OTT defence of the player or personal digs at me.

Sissoko is most definitely a different situation.

I do believe he is only playing by default, be basically have nobody else. And I do believe, had Dier, Wanyama and Dembele been fit all season Sissoko would have but a handful of appearances. I dont see this as exactly inflammatory stuff. But then this is Sissoko...

Poor players win titles all the time. It isnt a defence of Sissoko to say "well we're third so how can he be bad!?". Just look at the squad Fergie won his last title with.

Sissoko has done a job. People like to characterise me as thinking he is the worst player ever, of course he isnt. I just dont think he is good enough. I think he has his strengths, and his weaknesses, and on balance we need much better. None of which is to say he hasnt played a part this year. Only that lord only knows what people are seeing when they blow their wad over him.

It really is nothing personal for me, Im a Spurs fan, not someone who achieves anything by being proven right on the internet. I want the team to do as well as possible, and when I look at the team play there is a consistent position where I feel we can do better. Ive articulated it at length, and as always the point I make are dismissed in favour of making me out to be some sort of loon instead.

Quality, basically. Someone who can move the ball forward and fast (not necessarily fancy) as well as do the defensive work.

scaramanga likes this.
  5. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Crap's a bit much. I really dont think he is very good. Average at best. And I really dont think he is good enough to be a mainstay in a title chasing team. When I watch us play I see him as the weakest player in the team and the one to offer the biggest improvement to our play should he be replaced.

None of which should in anyway be controversial.

Except it is. In your own words:
    "it cannot be argued that there is a perception on this forum that you think he's crap"

Thats just perfect. People argue against a perception of me. One they have somehow managed to turn into a cartoon version. One which they dont actually read the posts, rather, assume the tone and attack that.

And Im not playing the victim bag, apologies if thats how it seemed. More, its a statement of fact. Keep an eye out - you will see what I mean.

Genuinely, even if you might disagree - when you look at what Ive written about the player you will find fair points. But you wont find responses that reflect that.

Why do you? Why does anyone?

I come here to discuss Spurs. And there are times when the main conversation is around Sissoko and I want to get involved. Usually when, surprise surprise, people are posting things I disagree with.

Again - do you notice how personal it sounds? "Well we know how you feel so just stop posting"...

Now I know you on here well enough to know youre not usually THAT guy, but look at your tone.

Funny story. After a game a few months ago, I gave him a rating of 6. I was attacked because I didnt give him a 7. Even after going to lengths to show what a 6 is to me, which really wasnt far from that posters 7, I was shouted down.

It was a genuinely minor difference in perspective that was treated as though extreme.

I have given all the reasoning I possibly can as to why I dont think he is of the standard we need. Id be happy to take it offline if you really want that conversation.

I can only suggest, its all there, and its not unreasonable - if youve seen and still disagree then fine. But as with above, I would credit you to respect an opinion as fair.

You clearly think Sissoko is a lot better than I do. For me, the two dont compare. Dier is a much better footballer, and a greater asset to the team. And thats not the usual polarised thinking which infers "so Sissoko must be brick..." Thats just a measure of the two for me.

Dier moves the ball better, faster, with more intelligence than Sissoko, and this is a massive asset to the team by comparison.

Id play Dier and Winks. I dont see the need for Sissoko.

Though, as a late sub used to close out games he has proven useful.

Completely fair view to take. Rabiot doesnt exactly exude to personality we would want. Im looking on a purely footballing basis though, and I think he is not only VERY good - but also tailor made for us.

NDombele does more going forward than Sissoko, while offering a similar defensive game, he's an upgrade for me. And at his age has the potential to improve even further. Sissoko is 30 now (I think), is as good as he's ever likely to be - and realistically has how long in him? Id swap them if I could, I think its better shorter and longer term.

We really are. I completely understand that, its frustrating but its life. I think we are in a pretty uniquely difficult position to be honest.

thfcsteff likes this.
  6. nayimfromthehalfwayline

I think its simpler than that.

Why put the effort in when he doesnt need to?

Hansen was the same. Capable of genuine and fascinating insight when he so chose, but when he spends his days sat next to Lawrensen - why even bother?

He can get paid just the same for none of the effort.

Neville offered some really interesting analysis, then he got paired up as some sort of dream team with Carragher, and then he stopped bothering. I dont think its a coincidence!

7. galeforce

galeforce Garth Crooks

could well be

or he realised the plebs at home won't understand it anyway

8. Kandi1977

@nayimfromthehalfwayline get a grip man! This is the Eric Dier thread, and most of it is your posts, talking down Sissoko. And three in a row now! And you don't have an agenda? Please! Just lay off it!

9. nayimfromthehalfwayline

I havent posted since Friday, Ive logged on and replied to people who have quoted me.

Its that simple.

10. Kandi1977

A reply doesn't necessarily need a response. Especially when it's off topic. The only reason is that you feel the need to push your anti Sissoko agenda

11. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Its really not.

I didnt reply to every post. Or every part of every post. Simply the parts I felt I should.

I have no anti Sissoko agenda.

Its funny how you are berating me for being off topic, while keeping the thread off topic ;)

12. Kandi1977

Do you have any news on Eric Dier?

thfcsteff likes this.
  13. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Well Im not his secretary so I have no news that isnt already reported.

I was disappointed he was out with a virus, was hoping he would be back in.

Lads been very unlucky with injury/illness this season.

Over the last 3 years he has been practically run into the ground though as well, so Im sure the break will do him good.

thfcsteff likes this.
  14. P.D.

P.D. Jonathan Woodgate

Really? Wasn't it Wanyana and Dier against West Ham last season when the midfield was awful, couldnt create anything and the game moved at snails pace.

15. the dza

the dza Johnny Morrison

Wanyama wasn't fully fit last season though iirc. The season we finished 2nd to Chelsea, they played together in midfield on a few occasions and looked very good imo, with Wanyama being a more brute force version of Dembele in that partnership.

16. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Was great to see Wanyama back yesterday, wasnt it?

Not that he did much, but fantastic news if he is coming back into contention.

17. the dza

the dza Johnny Morrison

Fingers crossed that he can stay fit, whether his future is here or not. I'll always be fond of Big Vic for that great season he had with Dembele in midfield. The first XI that season might be the best all-round Spurs team I've seen in my lifetime: lloris; dier, toby, vert; walker, wanyama, dembele, rose (or davies); dele, eriksen; kane

18. StephenH

StephenH Cecil Poynton

Fell over and lay prostrate on the ground with great aplom.

OT what happened to Derik (AGAIN)?

19. parklane1

parklane1 Nayim

Well i hope he is fit soon. A very important player for us.

harr1984 likes this.
  20. harr1984

harr1984 Paul Stalteri

Both him and Wanyama. We can debate all we want about who is the best pairing, but a fit Dier and Wanyama will allow Sissoko more rest time and Winks where needs be all of them will be fresher for the games they start. Whilst we could do with one real top class CM I still think we have a good enough solid base with those four fit and firing....

parklane1 likes this.